• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 48x0 for e7200

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,047
Are any of the single gpu 48x0 cards bottlenecked by a stock e7200 on P45 at 1920x1200?

Currently playing: Far Cry, FEAR, The Orange Box, GTA SA, Oblivion

Plan to play: GTA IV, Far Cry 2, SIMS 3, Fallout 3

How about an overclocked e7200? Nothing insane just a respectable OC on air.

Upgrading from an 8800GT, which of the 48x0 cards will deliver a nice "wow factor"?
 
4870 should fit the bill nicely but some of those games are a little GPU intensive, such as GTA.. if you have the cash go for the 4890 but you will need to overclock to not bottleneck the 4890
 
4870 should fit the bill nicely but some of those games are a little GPU intensive, such as GTA.. if you have the cash go for the 4890 but you will need to overclock to not bottleneck the 4890

What kinds of speeds are necessary? Is there an article on this somewhere?

From a quick google it looks like I can probably count on an easy OC to 3Ghz if needed. Would that be enough for a 4890?
 
What kinds of speeds are necessary? Is there an article on this somewhere?

From a quick google it looks like I can probably count on an easy OC to 3Ghz if needed. Would that be enough for a 4890?

definitely would be. you can probably hit 3.4 with no problem though. :)
 
it will be hard to find an exact article for the e7200 and 4890, you may need to do some googling.

4890 is a fantastic card, though and at your resolution games are more GPU bound than CPU bound, meaning that if you have your e7200 at 3.0, you should be ok with your card
 
it will be hard to find an exact article for the e7200 and 4890, you may need to do some googling.

Yea, I already have. Didn't find anything. That's why I asked.

4890 is a fantastic card, though and at your resolution games are more GPU bound than CPU bound, meaning that if you have your e7200 at 3.0, you should be ok with your card

Cool. That's what I was hoping for. Well, I was actually hoping I'd be ok stock but 3 Ghz is a mild enough OC to not be a big deal.

I guess if I picked up an e8400 of better I could run stock and not be cpu bound.
 
May want to check some charts on the real difference between the two... E8400 is a monster overclocker as well
 
oc will depend on your mobo, ram, etc.

All of my components are OC friendly. I could probably get 3.0 out of them. I might need a new HSF and memory above that but I'd be more likely to replace the e7200 than buy either of those.

Of course now that the new gpus are weeks away I'm going to wait and see what they bring to the table.
 
Back
Top