Best 34" + LCD for Eye-strain issues

juicyjay

n00b
Hey,

I was told a CRT is better than a LCD due to the fact that the refresh rate (vertical) is 240-250hz equivalent and better for users who spend HOURS on the computer for work/research and such. (10hours daily) I do not take breaks and i do not blink my eyes and do eye-exercises (20/20/20 rule) which sucks. I do wear contacts and invested into preservative free lubrication eye drops (Refresh Optive) and will use these every 1-2 hours daily.. (so will yield 8-10 drops daily) or single packet contaienrs. Not sure if this is bad anyways

I am looking for a new LCD as CRT are inexistent and trying to debunk the argument over CRT vs LCD..

I was told new LCDs with 144hz are more than plenty as the human eye can't notice it but I seem that my friend is really really pushing me for the CRT 250hz as he has a $8,000 customized computer with a 19" CRT monitor..

I am thinking about a 34" LCD IPS/IPL panel or whatever is the best so either these two

* Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor

or

* LG 34UC97-S

Not sure what is meant by "250hz equivalent". Does he mean the motion performance of a CRT equals an LCD at that refresh rate? What is the argument?

60hz or 144hz makes no difference if you're just working with static stuff, because of the sample-and-hold characteristic of LCDs. There may be other characteristics of a PWM free LCD that cause eyestrain (IPS black glow, high brightness, wrong gamma, too much sharpness, etc), but they are not tied to the refresh rate. Of course "slow" motion performance may cause a headache on a 60hz LCD compared to a high refresh rate CRT, but it's not important for work.

Have you looked into some of the computer glasses like Gunnar Optiks? I initially bought a $12 pair off amazon to see how they worked and they def helped to reduce eye strain and prevent headaches I was getting. So since the cheap o pair worked as good as they did I bought a pair of gaming gunnar glasses and they fit good and work just as good as the cheap glasses. The gaming type by gunnar are more comfortable and designed to be worn with a headset. Check them out and read some reviews.

Hrm. I am not sure either. I stare at computer screens for at least 9-10 hours daily... Unfortunately I know its bad for the eye and I am sure the whole corporate america does the same if not all of us on here... His argument is that you want a refresh rate of 240hz no matter what to be better for the eye and flicker-free.

Right I am not gaming or anything just basic research, web-browsing, and typing documents. He thinks the new LCDs are crap compared to the old CRT but I doubt it..

Do you think a newer model LCD like IPL/IPS - Flicker-free screens are suficient despite they are 60hz Vertical refresh rate?

Anyways if anyone can suggest a good LCD panel - IPS perhaps flicker-free and not sure if 2K or 4K? I'd go for it..

I hear LG 34 Curved are great and so is the new Dell Ultrasharp 34" Curved

Have you looked into some of the computer glasses like Gunnar Optiks? I initially bought a $12 pair off amazon to see how they worked and they def helped to reduce eye strain and prevent headaches I was getting. So since the cheap o pair worked as good as they did I bought a pair of gaming gunnar glasses and they fit good and work just as good as the cheap glasses. The gaming type by gunnar are more comfortable and designed to be worn with a headset. Check them out and read some reviews.

#12 for Gunnar Optiks. I do know about them but they quoted me $450-600 on the phone without my prescription. If they are $12 I can get them to a optician to put my prescription then hrm?

Which model did you get it.

Your friend is an idiot.

Haha he's OCD and a extremist :)

By the way I do want to add I am using an app like F.lux that controls the settings already but I was told you completely want to eliminate blue HUEs or reduce it to bare minimum. Otherwise what else should be modified here with the addition of optical glasses like Gunnar

#12 for Gunnar Optiks. I do know about them but they quoted me $450-600 on the phone without my prescription. If they are $12 I can get them to a optician to put my prescription then hrm?

Which model did you get it.

I do not wear prescription glasses to begin so I didnt need to worry about getting RX lenses. The cheap glasses I got from amazon did what they were suposed to but the frame were very cheaply made, would prob break easily. I wouldnt suggest taking the cheap glasses to get work done. The Gunnar glasses I got were the Interceptor model and I got them on sale for $53. The quality of the Gunnars are alot higher. I know Gunnar's website has a RX section with info on getting prescription lenses with the added benefits of the Gunnars but I've heard that those could be expensive anywhere from $150-250 for just the lenses. I've read that most eye glass stores sell lenses with the Crizal option which is very similar to the gunnar tech but those are also expensive. Both pairs do reduce the amount of blue light/hue. The gunnars do it better because they are darker tinted (amber).

If you want computer glasses, there are cheaper alternatives to Gunnars. You can get glasses from EyeBuyDirect for 21$ + frame price. Frames are as cheap as 6$. This will get you prescription lenses with their Digital Protection (Blue Cut) coating that will cut down on the blue light coming from the monitor. Then you could take out your contacts and that might help with eye strain. (you can also get non prescription lenses for cheaper alternatives to Gunnar)

I don't know of any research showing that higher refresh rates make that big of a difference with eye strain. The main things to look at are glasses that cut down on blue light (like Gunnar or the above from EyeBuy), proper lighting (usually dimmer than normal office environment and making sure you dont have glare on the screen), and finally periodically exercising or resting your eyes. You want to follow the 20-20-20 rule--Every 20 minutes look at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Back