Best 30 inch lcd

shaden79

n00b
so i currently have a 24 inch lcd but i find my self wanting just a little higher resolution. i would also have this monitor double as a tv if possible. cable hook up/ antenna not required but i would love to hook up a 360 or a wii to it if possible. i am looking for the high resolution of 1600p. i have heard a lot of say that the gateway xhd 3000 is the way to go but i have also heard of tons of problems with it. so my questions are:

what is the best 30 inch lcd monitor?

what is the best lcd monitor for the price? (what sacrifices will i be making)

or is it to early to be looking at a 30 inch monitor (too many bugs problems) and should i wait for the technology to mature?

thanks in advance,

Shaden79

I don't know what the best 30" lcd is, but i ordered the gateway the other day. the reason for my choice was similar to yours, as i'm going to be hooking up my PC, 360, PS3, and dish network receiver. For the price ($900-$1000), it was the best choice i could find for my needs, as the next closest option would have either been a 32" LCD TV or the Dell 3008WFP (twice the cost).

Seems like a good price for a 30inch :cool:
ecstatic.gif

I had 2 GW XHD3000 and they were both defective. Returned and ordered a HP 30''.
It's got 3 DVI ports with HDCP enabled so I will try my xbox and ps3 with a DVI to HDMI cable when I get the monitor. $600 for this monitor was too good to pass up.

The LG W3000H is a great 30" LCD. However, the connections are lacking. But the price/quality is pretty good (no input lag), however it wouldn't work great as a tv/game/computer triforce monitor.

Well, I just bought the Doublesight DS-305W for 750 on ebay. I was using the microsoft 25% cashback, which has just dropped to 8% unfortuntely. It will probably go back up again. You can just buy it using buy.com's ebay account for 983 shipped and the 200 brings it to 783 and then there is a 30 dollar rebate on it.

It's an H-IPS panel with 0 input lag, extremely good for gaming (I've been playing css/tf2/bf2/bf2142/supreme commander/stalker/fallout 3/grid and they all look and play amazing). You don't get any extra inputs as it just has 1 DVI-D input. I like the look of the monitor as its black and very clean with a full aluminum case. It lacks any decent height adjustment though, and no VESA holes. However, a 30 inch H-IPS panel for 750 is just a great deal if you ask me. :) 3 year warranty too.

so i currently have a 24 inch lcd but i find my self wanting just a little higher resolution. i would also have this monitor double as a tv if possible. cable hook up/ antenna not required but i would love to hook up a 360 or a wii to it if possible. i am looking for the high resolution of 1600p. i have heard a lot of say that the gateway xhd 3000 is the way to go but i have also heard of tons of problems with it. so my questions are:

what is the best 30 inch lcd monitor?

what is the best lcd monitor for the price? (what sacrifices will i be making)

or is it to early to be looking at a 30 inch monitor (too many bugs problems) and should i wait for the technology to mature?

thanks in advance,

Shaden79

The best universal 30" monitor is the NEC 3090WQXi

1600p does not exist

Had the Gateway XHD3000 better quality, it would have been about #2 in 30" along with the Dell 3008.

what is the best lcd monitor for the price?
Most of them. You get what you pay for.
Exceptions for Eizos and Samsung w/LED - you pay double for nothing.

Ok, 1600p does exist. All the p denotes is progressive scan. A monitor is progressive scan and you are just denoting 1600 line of progressive scan. It's ambiguous because people think 1080p which is a 16:9 while this is 16:10, but there is no standard that says you can't say 1600p. It is kind of a goofy way of stating a res though since you aren't stating its aspect ratio with it and since the masses will think its some new TV standard.

I don't entirely agree with the "you get what you pay for" moniker. There is no reason to pay 700 dollars more for a monitor just so you can have a vga/component input, usb hub, card readers. Those items are not worth 700 dollars. You are getting marginalized if you do that IMO. Card readers cost under $30, you can get a scaling box for under $100 that can scale your 360/ps3/wii. I guess if you really have to have it all-in-one, pay the extra 500-700 bucks, but IMO, the panel quality is foremost, input lag is second (regardless of what type of gaming you do, ps3/wii/xbox/pc).

To each his own I guess.

I went through this same scenario for a few weeks while trying to decide what I wanted to upgrade to. In the end, it was down to the Dell 3007W-HC and the Gateway XHD3000. I ended up getting the Gateway because I was able to get it for much less than the Dell and because most reviews were positive on this monitor. I am very happy with my purchase and couldn't be happier.

It comes down to personal preference in the end. People can spout all they want about input lag, backlight bleeding, gamma shift, etc. But if you don't notice it, than who cares. Your best bet is to go see them for yourself and decide after that. You're the one that has to look at the monitor every day so you've got to make sure you're happy with the decision.

xhd 3000 if you need the connections, dell 3007 wfp HC if you only need 1 single DVI-D

Personally, I have a dell 3007WFP, a dell 3007WFP-HC, and of the two I far prefer the 3007WFP-HC. The colors are fantastic.

the 3008WFP is supposed to have a great picture, but it has input lag, which could be a real problem if you're a gamer. So in my opinion i'd recommend the 3007WFP-HC!

Ok, 1600p does exist.

1080p is HD video standard. It sets up a certain image and sound quality for motion pictures within 1920x1080 frame.
1600p HD standard does not exist.

1920x1200, 1920x1080 - simply panels resolutions.
Those monitors may or may not support 1080p depending on their electronics.

Letter "p" does not make sense in connection with monitor resolution. With or without "p" - no difference. Just resolution.

"1080p monitor", "Full HD monitor" - this is marketing slang to add little more sugar to ads.
As any slang this is contagious. Many people are willing to repeat it over and over.

When you display 1080p video on 2560x1600 screen you see that it covers only the central portion of the screen (1920x1080 dots).
hr4dt5.jpg

A good monitor can give you a choice: you can watch TRUE 1080p in the center of the screen or interpolate it to the full screen width.
In this case 1080p movie remains 1080p movie, but enlarged.
The form it's presented is not HD any more.

The best monitor (the NEC 3090WQXi) can scale 1080p movie up to the full screen height (or even more - up to 4800 dots height with 1600 visible). In this case you have 1080p movie stretched to 1600 dots - image quality goes down, definition of the movie goes down. Nothing more. No "1600p".

The quality of "interpolated 1080p" image is up to the monitor quality. In case of the NEC 3090WQXi it's very good. Enlarged movie (even up to 1600 dots of visible image with black bars removed and sides cropped accordingly) is still amazing.

"1600p" is a word trick invented by Gateway AFAIK.
A good move to attract attention to 30" high resolution. It powders brain a little but as a marketing gimmick it sounds nice.

Of course, nothing about 1600p in reality.

To continue Gateway's marketing fantasy, we can declare 3090 to be a "2560p monitor"!
jokemm9.jpg

No one mentions Hazro HZ30W 30".

Is it such a sucker that it deserves no recognition?

Look, I'm not going to multi quote everything and break it down for you. I understand exactly what monitor resolutions are and what 1080p means. I was only pointing out that saying 1600p, while ambiguous, it's not the end of the world. Sure, its a stupid way of saying it, but since everyone knows 720p/1080p monikers, they also can then figure it out in their heads that 1600p means horizontal lines of resolution. The proper way would just be to state the 2560x1600 resolution.

Also, a monitor can actually display interlaced signal as I've done so with my previous monitors. In that case, a 640x480 interlaced or a 640x480 progressive can be denoted using i and p.

I personally would never walk around saying 1600p 16:10 resolution, but however, it is completely legitimate. If someone has a brain they can figure out the resolution given 1600p and 16:10 aspect ratio. No one ever said it was an HD movie standard and trying to put that obvious examples and then going into great lengths to show me what 1080p looks like on a 2560x1600 display of which I own already is completely useless.

If you want to argue further go talk with the OP. I already know exactly what resolutions, progressive/interlaced and HD video standards are.

I could care less what marketing schemes these companies are using. I wasn't even aware Gateway used the term 1600p. I was only stating 1600p @ 16:10 aspect ratio is a very logical statement. Just as you could say I have "1600 rows of pixels", no one says it, but it's true.

The Hazro HZ30W is , at least in terms of look, identical to my doublesight DS-305W. If it comes with an H-IPS and you happen to live in europe, it'd be a great deal. However, if you live in the US you're better of just getting the DS-305W. Also I'd definitely say get the DS-305W over the Dell 3007WFP-HC. My roommate owns one, and while its a great display, it's panel offers nothing over the DS-305W. It's just an S-IPS with 92% NTSC color gamut, just as the DS-305W is an H-IPS with 92% NTSC color gamut. It does have a usb hub and card readers, if you believe those or the dell warranty is worth the extra 200-300 bucks, go for it.

The Doublesight looks like a good monitor, but the 1 DVI connection kills the deal. The OP wants to hook up a PC, Cable TV, 360, and a Wii, so I would recommend something with more inputs.

If the panel used in DS 30'' is an H-IPS, then the panel used in Dell 3007WFP-HC should also be an H-IPS.
I think DS is equipped with Q5(102% gamut) and Dell with Q3(92%). They are both wide gamut. If DS is advertising 92% gamut on their monitor, then it must have Q3 which is identical to Dell 3007WFP-HC.
There are only so many 30'' panels.

IPS list

A2) had a problem in which dots appear across the panel.
A4) 72% standard - Used in Dell 3007wfp, Apple Cinema 30''
Q3) 92% wide color gamut - Dell 3007wfp-hc, HP LP3065
Q5) 102% wide color gamut - LG 30'', Dell 3008wfp

S-PVA list

Gateway XHD3000, Samsung 305T series.

Thing is, I took a macro shot of my monitors pixels, it is indeed an H-IPS. My roommate has a dell 3007wfp-hc and I took a macro of his, and its indeed an S-IPS, not H-IPS. These are facts. Not to mention I get white glow with off angle black viewing (h-ips result) and he gets the purple/green off black glow (s-ips result). As for the gamut or what LG panel mine is, I'm not very certain, but I can tell you it is definitely H-IPS and that the 3007wfp-hc my roommate has is definitely a S-IPS

So I guess Q5 is an H-IPS and Q3 belongs in S-IPS category. I thought Q5 would be same as Q3 except it's got a higher color gamut. Add DS-305W to Q5 list.
The price is definitely a bargain for a Q5 panel, other than the fact it looks like an OEM monitor that is being sold in Korea for cheap. According to the pictures on Newegg, it even comes with 210 volt power cord which is to be used in Korea.
DS needs to use a proper stand and more professional looking enclosure.

If you want to argue further go talk with the OP. I already know exactly what resolutions, progressive/interlaced and HD video standards are.

No. I don't argue. I just share information.

I was only stating 1600p @ 16:10 aspect ratio is a very logical statement. Just as you could say I have "1600 rows of pixels", no one says it, but it's true.

I have just showed that 1600p is not more logical than 2560p.

1. 1080p - video standard related to the picture
2. 1080 rows of pixels - something where the picture is displayed on

1. 1080p has no pixels, it's a picture
2. 1080 rows of pixels has no picture, it's a screen

1. 1080p is an image strictly defined in quality
2. 1080 rows of pixel can display 1080p or any trash image

1. 1080p - a dish we eat
2. 1080 rows of pixels - a dish we put food on

1. "p" means food
2. pixels means plate

You find logical mixing this up.
Never mind.

to show me what 1080p looks like on a 2560x1600 display of which I own already is completely useless.

No, it isn't. Because it's 99% for other readers.

BTW a question about your monitor.
Can DS305W display blu-ray 1080p 1:1 from PS3/BD player as shown?

I am not saying 1600p is more logical. I've already stated its definitely the LEAST logical way of stating what your resolution is. HOWEVER, unless you are an idiot, if someone tells you their display is 1600p and also say its 16:10 aspect ratio, you can deduct that its a 2560x1600 display by mathematical reasoning. Should you say 1600p? No.. Do I say 1600p? No...

Here, from wikipedia.

1080p is the shorthand name for a category of display resolutions. The number "1080" represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution (1080 horizontal scan lines),[1] while the letter p stands for progressive scan (meaning the image is not interlaced). 1080p can be referred to as full HD or full high definition to differentiate it from other HDTV video modes.

Therefore, we are both right, now stop the conversation. If you read that paragraph and still think there is a reason to "spread information" about this topic, I have nothing further to say...

Anyway, I have not tried a PS3 bluray movie on this display to see if it does 1:1. I've heard that the monitor doesn't do 1:1 in that situation but I will check it sometime this week and get back with the information.

This is your source #1. See V. Recommendations
Great list, however I don't see the Hazro HZ30W listed. Dell 3008 is left out as well. Why is that?

I received my Samsung 305t+ two weeks back and it is outstanding. Gaming and viewing 25X16 on 2X208GTX's is outstanding.

So I guess Q5 is an H-IPS and Q3 belongs in S-IPS category. I thought Q5 would be same as Q3 except it's got a higher color gamut. Add DS-305W to Q5 list.
The price is definitely a bargain for a Q5 panel, other than the fact it looks like an OEM monitor that is being sold in Korea for cheap. According to the pictures on Newegg, it even comes with 210 volt power cord which is to be used in Korea.
DS needs to use a proper stand and more professional looking enclosure.

Its enclosure and stand are made of aluminum.

Its enclosure and stand are made of aluminum.

That's not the problem. You can find a lot better looking aluminum cased 30'' Q5 monitors for less than 2/3 the price of DS in Korea.
Just because the enclosure and stand are made out of aluminum doesn't mean they are good. A good stand should be able to swivel and tilt smoothly in angles. Sometimes I do work while standing up so this is a very important factor for me.

I was responding to the fact that you said it wasn't "professional looking" I also wasn't aware that you lived in Korea.

No, I don't live in Korea, but I did some search on google after finding out DS includes a power cord that is made for 210 volt which is used in Korea.

everythings so darn small on 30"... try running hard forum in your browser full screen, you'll get your head twisted and fatigue very soon

That's not the problem. You can find a lot better looking aluminum cased 30'' Q5 monitors for less than 2/3 the price of DS in Korea.
Just because the enclosure and stand are made out of aluminum doesn't mean they are good. A good stand should be able to swivel and tilt smoothly in angles. Sometimes I do work while standing up so this is a very important factor for me.

Then there wasn't much reason for you to mention the price of the DS in Korea if you don't live there. These DS monitors are sold in the US. I in fact just bought a DS-305W for $750 new. It is the CHEAPEAST 30 inch display new in the United States. It also happens to have one of the better panels , a new H-IPS panel which is perectly color accurate after a calibration, read the review on the hazro 30 which has the same panel.

The powersupply plugs into the wall (US 110v) on one end, and the monitor on the other end. There is no adapter needed or anything. Just because the power box has a korean 210v connection on the power brick doesn't mean a single thing to the end user other then the fact that if they cut their cord they'd have to buy a cord that is korean 210v on one end and US 110v on the other. Other then that, its transparent. Plug into 110V, plug into monitor. A new cable would cost <$10.

We've been making voltage converters since the late 1800's. Converting from the 110v in the wall to the 210v in the power brick is trivial. There is absolutely no issue to this, just people making something out of nothing. Voltage conversions are done in literally everything you plug into the wall, in one form or another.

As for the stand, it tilts up and down, but not side to side nor does it have height adjustment. That's well stated in the specifications and if that isn't your cup of tea and someone wants to put another few hundred into a monitor which has these abilities and a Q5 panel, go for it by all means.

However don't fault the case of the monitor. I think the clean black aluminum is more slick and aesthetically pleasing then, say, the HP/LG/Dell monitors.

I don't live there, but I can just easily as buy it and pay the shipping and it would still come out cheaper. My point is I think DS is selling an OEM monitor made by one of those small companies in Korea as they all seem to look just like DS. DS needs to work on their own enclosure and a better stand, IMHO.
It's a bargain if you don't work in angles and such. As for me, this is a problem.

Yeah, I can understand that point of view with it not being your type of monitor given your requirements. If you live in the US, buying the DS is obviously your cheapest bet. If you live in europe, its the Hazro. While I agree the monitors don't look unique, its also hard to know know who is the real manufacturer, is the koreans? Hazro? Doublesight? I mean, technically almost all monitors are LG based, at least the good IPS panels are. Since this is their first stab I'm sure they'll make some more unique stands in the future.

I had 2 GW XHD3000 and they were both defective. Returned and ordered a HP 30''.
It's got 3 DVI ports with HDCP enabled so I will try my xbox and ps3 with a DVI to HDMI cable when I get the monitor. $600 for this monitor was too good to pass up.

Where'd you get it for 600 dollars?

40% CB was for home, I think. HP 30'' belongs in their business category.
I bought mine from ebay while live.com cashback was alive at 25%. It is at 8% now so it's not much of a deal anymore.

Can anyone tell me what panel the US version of the LG w3000h is using? When you go to the LG global site it specifically says it is IPS, and shows the characteristic 178/178 viewing angle stat. On the US LG site it says nothing about IPS and quotes a 170 degree viewing angle. I just ordered one from NCIXUS which appears to have the IPS panel (if the info is correct) but Newegg quotes the same info as the LG US site on their W3000H product page. Trying to sort through products to figure out which one is best for you is bad enough, but when the manufacturer keeps switching up the specs w/o renaming the product it get's even worse. Bah!

If you read the thread carefully, then you should be able to find my post about LG using Q5 on their 30'' monitor.

Can anyone tell me what panel the US version of the LG w3000h is using? When you go to the LG global site it specifically says it is IPS, and shows the characteristic 178/178 viewing angle stat. On the US LG site it says nothing about IPS and quotes a 170 degree viewing angle. I just ordered one from NCIXUS which appears to have the IPS panel (if the info is correct) but Newegg quotes the same info as the LG US site on their W3000H product page. Trying to sort through products to figure out which one is best for you is bad enough, but when the manufacturer keeps switching up the specs w/o renaming the product it get's even worse. Bah!

I'm still not convinced my DS-305W is a Q5 or a Q3. The only real discernible difference would be the dynamic contrast ratio and 3ms lower response time. I know its H-IPS as I've taken a macro, but I think its a Q3 based off the specs.

Back