Best 240hz monitor?

Retsam

2[H]4U
Anyone experienced around here who has also done the research and/or testing themselves...

So I have been kinda wanting a 240hz monitor. Unfortunately there are so many with so many different positives and negatives to each of them....

All around, what is the best bang 4 buck 240hz monitor? Suggestions?

Here are my picks I have narrowed down to.

BenQ Zowie xl2546 ($500 and known for best aim stabilizer, but also known to be worse in every other way than others below)
Gigabyte Aorus KD25F ($500)
Acer Predator XN253QX (G-sync model of the one below, but also $500)
Acer Nitro XF252Q (Freesync model of the one above, only $350ish)
HP Omen x 25 (G-sync and known for among the lowest input lag and often on sale for $410. Also HP whos terrible for support)
Dell Alienware AW2518hf (I can get this one the cheapest, but its the old gen panel)

Last edited:
I prefer a 27" myself. I've got a Acer Predator XB272 that I think is superb so that would be my recommendation but there are a few other 27's out there that are likely just as good. Hit up Google and YouTube read up on reviews.

I prefer a 27" myself. I've got a Acer Predator XB272 that I think is superb so that would be my recommendation but there are a few other 27's out there that are likely just as good. Hit up Google and YouTube read up on reviews.

Ive never owned a 27". I would think it would be too big. Whats the reason you like 27" more? Wouldnt the picture quality be even worse since its 27" and still 1080p?

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/zowie-xl2540

Responded to you last thread. The Alienware one Comixbooks linked to is a good choice also.

Just wondering. Why do you like that one? Its an outdated panel, and im like 99% sure the xl2546 is significantly better than that.

Just wondering. Why do you like that one? Its an outdated panel, and im like 99% sure the xl2546 is significantly better than that.

Just giving you an idea. It seemed to get good reviews, but the Alienware Comixbooks posted would be a very good choice.

Ive never owned a 27". I would think it would be too big. Whats the reason you like 27" more? Wouldnt the picture quality be even worse since its 27" and still 1080p?
UOTE]

27" generally means 2560x1440 not 1920x1080, which needs more GPU power depending on the games you play. and this site is not the best site to ask about anything smaller than 27" because everyone will just tell you to go big :D and btw AW2521HF is my dream monitor

27" generally means 2560x1440 not 1920x1080, which needs more GPU power depending on the games you play. and this site is not the best site to ask about anything smaller than 27" because everyone will just tell you to go big :D and btw AW2521HF is my dream monitor

Gotcha. But the Acer Predator XB272 that he was recommending is 1920x1080, so that is wrong. Yeah. I was just kind of looking for feedback and anyone that might have some experience with gaming monitors. Looks like this site might not be the best to ask.

Gotcha. But the Acer Predator XB272 that he was recommending is 1920x1080, so that is wrong. Yeah. I was just kind of looking for feedback and anyone that might have some experience with gaming monitors. Looks like this site might not be the best to ask.

Yes that monitor is 1080, most 240 Hz monitors are. At 1440 there aren't many GPU's that can push 144-240 fps cause it's a much bigger load for the GPU to push.

As for picture quality, yes the DPI is lower and 1440 would be a little crisper but for games I rarely see a difference. Yes I can see a little more jagged pixels but it doesn't bother me and the trade off in higher framerates is well worth it to me.

I prefer 27" screens because I think it's the best trade off between screen real estate but at a resolution that is easier to get 144+ FPS in games. If I preferred image quality over frame rates then I'd opt for a 32" at 1440 or higher but for my eyes, that smooth motion is hard to live without.

You do realize the monitor that Comixbooks linked is a new type of 240Hz IPS display. That's probably why he recommended it. As an owner of an Alienware AW2518H, I would recommend the same. Why not have the best of both worlds?

The best one is benq xl2746s. None of the others in this thread match it. The AW lacks BFI and IPS has higher input lag.

The best one is benq xl2746s. None of the others in this thread match it. The AW lacks BFI and IPS has higher input lag.

Thanks for the input. I have read similar stuff on for example, blur busters forums. I think I do want to stay in the TN panel area. I just cant decide which monitor to get. There really isnt a definitive "best" per say, they all differ. They all have postives and negatives. Do I get g-sync or not worry about it? I think the coronavirus is a factor now because some of them seem to be out of stock. That is another factor.

I think right now it is between these 4:

Gigabyte Aorus KD25F
Acer Predator XN253QX (G-sync model)
Acer Nitro XF252Q (Freesync model) **If I pick this one, where to I buy it from ,its out of stock everywhere)
HP Omen x 25 (G-sync)

I just dont know which to get....

Last edited:
This is the one I have on my second rig, out of stock right now though. https://www.newegg.com/p/3D4-000B-00001?Item=9SIA0ZW82K5673

I haven't tried any other 240 Hz monitor, but I do like this one. 1080p 27" in a nice form factor. TN is also better for visual clarity and motion smoothness.

One thing I would state, check that FreeSync and/or G-Sync are supported. It is really hard to hit 240 fps in most games, so Free/G-Sync will help keep everything smooth.

I would have to try a 27" to see if I like it. Maybe I would. I dont know. : /

Thanks for the input. I have read similar stuff on for example, blur busters forums. I think I do want to stay in the TN panel area. I just cant decide which monitor to get. There really isnt a definitive "best" per say, they all differ. They all have postives and negatives. Do I get g-sync or not worry about it? I think the coronavirus is a factor now because some of them seem to be out of stock. That is another factor.

I think right now it is between these 4:

Gigabyte Aorus KD25F
Acer Predator XN253QX (G-sync model)
Acer Nitro XF252Q (Freesync model) **If I pick this one, where to I buy it from ,its out of stock everywhere)
HP Omen x 25 (G-sync)

I just dont know which to get....

I had the Aorus KD25F, it has crazy input lag at anything less than 240 Hz so stay away from it--the BFI is also garbage. In fact, none of the models you listed are as good as the BenQ XL2746S, it has the best input lag + response times of the bunch and it's a brand new generation panel as well. In addition, BenQ uses has their proprietary BFI (Dyac) which results in a pretty bright picture and smooth as butter motion handling. I'm assuming you want to play competitive FPS games if you want a 240 Hz monitor so this is the one to get right now (G-Sync/FreeSync are pointless at high fps/refresh but this does support FreeSync 2/G-Sync Lite). If you want a 25" one, wait for the XL2546S which was supposed to be out by now but likely got pushed back due to coronavirus. As for BlurBusters, I'd start taking some of the owners recommendations with a dose of skepticism since he shills for Viewsonic (they signed up for his blurbusters program).

BTW from personal testing, I found dropping from 1440p --> 1080p netted a 30% higher framerate gain in most of my games on average.

Edit: I took my own advice and just bought one off Amazon. I'd been waiting for it to come in stock and it finally did!

663FB493-0043-40DC-92A3-89303545B906.jpeg

From a post I made on BB forum:

Playwares review -
Here's a translated review that went up today of the XL2746: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... w/57666851#

Pertinent points:

1. Input lag: 2-3 ms at 240 Hz
2. Peak luminance: ~360 nits
3. Contrast ratio: ~1100-1270ish
4. Color: ~72% NTSC
5. Response time GtG: 1.6-1.8 ms (http://down.playwares.com/xe/files/atta ... 533de6.png)
6. Dyac+ in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YxU25 ... =emb_title

Last edited:

Can't go wrong with BenQ's XL monitors. I had one for years (2720) and loved it. However the color was never that good. Not crappy but not that good. That's the thing I love about the Acer and it's why I decided on it over the others. The color is as good as any monitor I've ever owned, maybe even a little better.

But yeah, BenQ is always a great choice for a gaming monitor.

Can't go wrong with BenQ's XL monitors. I had one for years (2720) and loved it. However the color was never that good. Not crappy but not that good. That's the thing I love about the Acer and it's why I decided on it over the others. The color is as good as any monitor I've ever owned, maybe even a little better.

But yeah, BenQ is always a great choice for a gaming monitor.

I don't think color will be an issue with these new panels.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was looking at all the BenQs. The thing is, all over blurbusters people say they are actually not the best in terms of input lag and color etc, that the ones I listed above are better. This is what makes it difficult to figure out who to listen to. The top recommendations as ive been reading a lot lately, seem to be the Omen X 25 for input lag and Acer XF252Q. Both have insanely low input lag and not the worst of the worse with colors.

Whats new in the XL2546S? I was reading online and it says the difference is Dyac technology? What? The XL2546 already has Dyac so I dont understand. I do prefer a 25" over a 27" probably. I wonder when it comes out, I might be willing to get that.

I feel like I will never reach an answer without trying them all. I ordered a recertified Acer Nitro XF252Q off wallmart just to test since its literally like OOS everywhere anyways. I will return it when done.

The other part of this that makes it difficult is my desk is kinda small, so the stand is a factor as well. I gotta stick with small stands. I used to own the Alienware aw2518hf and had to return it because it pushes my keyboard out too far.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I didnt know a new BenQ was coming out, so I may look into that. I am going to guess this is the new BenQ model based on the same newer panels like the Acer XF252Q and Aorus KD25F.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was looking at all the BenQs. The thing is, all over blurbusters people say they are actually not the best in terms of input lag and color etc, that the ones I listed above are better. This is what makes it difficult to figure out who to listen to. The top recommendations as ive been reading a lot lately, seem to be the Omen X 25 for input lag and Acer XF252Q. Both have insanely low input lag and not the worst of the worse with colors.

Whats new in the XL2546S? I was reading online and it says the difference is Dyac technology? What? The XL2546 already has Dyac so I dont understand. I do prefer a 25" over a 27" probably. I wonder when it comes out, I might be willing to get that.

I feel like I will never reach an answer without trying them all. I ordered a recertified Acer Nitro XF252Q off wallmart just to test since its literally like OOS everywhere anyways. I will return it when done.

The other part of this that makes it difficult is my desk is kinda small, so the stand is a factor as well. I gotta stick with small stands. I used to own the Alienware aw2518hf and had to return it because it pushes my keyboard out too far.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I didnt know a new BenQ was coming out, so I may look into that. I am going to guess this is the new BenQ model based on the same newer panels like the Acer XF252Q and Aorus KD25F.

While the models you listed have decent numbers, they don't best the xl2746S. A lot of people at BB just go off RT and if they haven't tested it, they ignore it. Unfortunately not many places tested the newest benq xl2746s but a s. Korean site did and I posted their numbers. I have a 144 hz asus 1 ms TN panel I'll compare this to when it gets here.

As for dyac+, they added the ability to use freesync/gsync as it didn't have that option previously.

Have you considered mounting your panels to an arm? That would save you a lot of desktop space.

While the models you listed have decent numbers, they don't best the xl2746S. A lot of people at BB just go off RT and if they haven't tested it, they ignore it. Unfortunately not many places tested the newest benq xl2746s but a s. Korean site did and I posted their numbers. I have a 144 hz asus 1 ms TN panel I'll compare this to when it gets here.

As for dyac+, they added the ability to use freesync/gsync as it didn't have that option previously.

Have you considered mounting your panels to an arm? That would save you a lot of desktop space.

Yeah. I did some reading since last post, and it looks like the differences with the new S models is pretty much what I thought. They are using the new AU Optronics panels with the "0.5ms" similar to the auros KD25F, Acer XF252Q and HP Omen X 25 etc. So it is just BenQ's release of up-to-date panel tech, which is a good thing. The new dyac+ seems to be maybe like slightly improved over the previous model. It looks to be hinting at better blur reduction while firing your gun etc. I am definitely interested, but I need to see some reviews of it first.

Its just hard to figure out. I see some people saying they definitely prefer monitors with g-sync for the smoothness versus dyac, which is pretty much what I am looking for. I feel like I need to try both to know, which is what I may just decide to do. Ill just order like 3 monitors and test them all and keep the one I like the best. I wish the XL2546S was out already.

As I said the stand is an issue, so I have to be careful in that regard, and the BenQ or the Acer XF252Q have small stands so I would be fine there. In terms of a monitor arm, my desk is pretty small and I am actually moving soon so that is not a viable option atm.

I am going to guess that the issue of everything being out of stock now is the coronavirus issues. That sux. I see many things just OOS with no idea on new stock.

Yeah. I did some reading since last post, and it looks like the differences with the new S models is pretty much what I thought. They are using the new AU Optronics panels with the "0.5ms" similar to the auros KD25F, Acer XF252Q and HP Omen X 25 etc. So it is just BenQ's release of up-to-date panel tech, which is a good thing. The new dyac+ seems to be maybe like slightly improved over the previous model. It looks to be hinting at better blur reduction while firing your gun etc. I am definitely interested, but I need to see some reviews of it first.

Its just hard to figure out. I see some people saying they definitely prefer monitors with g-sync for the smoothness versus dyac, which is pretty much what I am looking for. I feel like I need to try both to know, which is what I may just decide to do. Ill just order like 3 monitors and test them all and keep the one I like the best. I wish the XL2546S was out already.

As I said the stand is an issue, so I have to be careful in that regard, and the BenQ or the Acer XF252Q have small stands so I would be fine there. In terms of a monitor arm, my desk is pretty small and I am actually moving soon so that is not a viable option atm.

I am going to guess that the issue of everything being out of stock now is the coronavirus issues. That sux. I see many things just OOS with no idea on new stock.

Yeah it's a new panel like the other AU Optronics models are but not all AUO panels are the same obviously as vendor tuning and scaler makes a big difference. Personally, I find VRR to be absolutely useless at high fps, it's only ever really useful in the 30-60 fps range IMO as that's when you get the most frame tearing where it helps smoothen it out.

Yeah it's a new panel like the other AU Optronics models are but not all AUO panels are the same obviously as vendor tuning and scaler makes a big difference. Personally, I find VRR to be absolutely useless at high fps, it's only ever really useful in the 30-60 fps range IMO as that's when you get the most frame tearing where it helps smoothen it out.

I know. But i think its probably a personal preference and I am just saying what I see others stating. I have little experience with both so I cant really say. Makes making a decision harder. And then of course I dont want to spend $500 either heh.

I am intrigued by this new BenQ model, so i think I am going to wait until that is released so I can at least try it. Hope its out soon.

Oh cool, direct from benQ. Interesting.... I may have to order one, I dunno. It would depend on what their return policy looks like.

I already have the acer XF252Q coming here in 2 days. So now would be a good time to compare.

EDIT: Its Sold out already lol.

Last edited:
Back