best 24" panel for under 1k?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm really trying to find a good 24" panel for under 1k, so far the my top three choices seem to be:

1. BenQ FP241VW, the newer revision
Haven't heard any major complaints
2. Dell ultrasharp 2408WFP
Hearing about major input lag
3. PLANAR PX2411W
very limited inputs, can't find any reviews or information
4. Samsung 245T
annoying humming, high input lag & same panel as Dell 2407?

I was discussing a panel in another forum and one person said that BenQ was supposed to be coming out with a 24" IPS panel soon, has anyone else heard anything about this?

I know that NEC and Eizo make some nice IPS panels but it's a little out of my price range, I just want to be able to watch movies and TV in HD and enjoy some PC and console gaming. I really can't fingure out how to find what panels are VA and IPS. Even the newegg power search doesn't include panel types.

Thanks a lot, I haven't come across the first like before and it looks useful.

I keep getting gunshy when it comes to buying an LCD just becuase of the whole input lag thing.

When you are an older fart like me, you need all the milliseconds you can get!

I think based on your primary needs of movies and HD, all you would really need is a top quality TN panel, that is as long as you plan on always sitting in front of it, not from the side as TN's dont have good viewing angles. I'll see if I can find some one ones with HDMI. If you move into the VA series you will have to put up with the display lag issues. NEC has at least 1 VA with low lag but no HDMI. I'm in the same boat as you, trying to find the great 24". I'll post if I find anything Suitable.

I will be sitting on my bed to use the computer as I'm very limited for space, and laying down on the bed to watch movies with my gf. We will mostly be looking up at the screen when watching movies. Because their are two of us neither of of will be directly in front of the screen. You don't think that color accuracy will be an issue with movies? I don't expect that the input lag will be sufficient enough to put video noticeably out of sink with the audio.

P-MVA or some version of IPS for you, I think. The Soyo DYLM24D6 has its share of issues but input lag isn't bad and viewing angles are good. Mostly isn't not all that pretty, the speakers are useless, and it's VGA/DVI input only. $300 or less, though. Just be ready to return one or two to find a "good one" as there have been some quality control issues. Gladly those seem to be a thing of the past.

EDIT: I saw you wanted to play consoles on it. The Soyo isn't for you, then. It's not Xbox 360 friendly due to lack of an internal scaler, so even through the screen is capable you can't get it to run 1080P, and the same likely goes for the PS3 as well.

I'm looking at the same monitors and came down to the BenQ or maybe the Planar for the same reasons. (One thing I dislike about BenQ is not the image quality but the extra width in the frame.)

Did this person say when the 24" IPS BenQ would be out? I might wait if it's fairly soon. I also considered the 26" one they have now, but it's just a little above what I budgeted. Thanks.

does lcd24-7 have any sort of feature search?

does flatpanels.dk have a way to search by screen size or resolution?

An NCIX staff member on their forum said "Those looking for a S-IPS LCD option, our secret sources tell us there's a nice, brand new, 24" model coming. It'll be more $$$ of course, but nothing too outrageous. We're thinking March time frame...

(OK... OK... the secret source was a product manager at a large manufacturer, but I wanted to sound like the cool kids)"
The information wasn't really specific about who would be using the panel that I could tell so we will have to wait and see.

I was also looking at the 24" planar but I couldn't confirm that panel type. The BenQ FP241WZ has acceptable input options but not as good as the VW. I also can't find any reviews on the Planar

An NCIX staff member on their forum said "Those looking for a S-IPS LCD option, our secret sources tell us there's a nice, brand new, 24" model coming. It'll be more $$$ of course, but nothing too outrageous. We're thinking March time frame...

(OK... OK... the secret source was a product manager at a large manufacturer, but I wanted to sound like the cool kids)"
The information wasn't really specific about who would be using the panel that I could tell so we will have to wait and see.

I was also looking at the 24" planar but I couldn't confirm that panel type. The BenQ FP241WZ has acceptable input options but not as good as the VW. I also can't find any reviews on the Planar

I have a feeling new 24" IPS panels are coming out this spring also because the existing ones are getting hard to find.

silk186 wanted under $1k, so how about the Planar PX2611W. It's 26", 1920 x 1200, $879.99 on Newegg. 4 USB 2.0 ports built in too, apparently.

S-IPS! Why would you go with a TN if you can get better for within the price range you want?

Input lag and potential ghosting. S-IPS is nice, but it's not without its flaws. No panel type is.

I really want to keep it under 1k since I'm still paying off my student loan, I'm just thinking that a 26" will be really big and take up a lot of desk space, maybe too big for sitting up close? Also the 24" and 26" are the same resolution so the 24" will have a nicer picture. What I can't figure out about the planar is if the PX2611W and PX2411W are both using IPS panels for if it's only in the 26". I also can't find any reviews on the 24".

I will be sitting on my bed to use the computer as I'm very limited for space, and laying down on the bed to watch movies with my gf. We will mostly be looking up at the screen when watching movies. Because their are two of us neither of of will be directly in front of the screen. You don't think that color accuracy will be an issue with movies? I don't expect that the input lag will be sufficient enough to put video noticeably out of sink with the audio.

If you have a CRT laying around you can also determine the screens input lag, and any decent media player will allow you to offset the audio to sync up :) Though like you said it probably wouldn't be enough to be noticeable. Takes near 80-90ms desync for me to notice, and the worst panels give about 60ms peak input lag.

The 24" isn't IPS, I don't think. MVA or PVA or something, I don't think TN. (edit) Does that mean that the NEC is the only H-IPS 24-incher out there? I can't find the Mitsubishi anywhere...

Yeah, you really shouldn't need to worry about input lag, like NKDietrich said. The human eye/mind can only perceive 30 fps, and that's at the max. Theaters use 18fps, with some of the images a little blurry. The brain can blur things for you, like in real life. You move your hand quickly across your face, and you don't see it in three different places, you see a blur.

Say a screen has an 60ms, which like NKDietrich said, is pretty bad. 60/1000 is the same as six hundredths of a second. Not a huge amount of time. The average amount of time it takes for you to notice light after it strikes your eye is 15 hundredths of a second, and that's if you're actively trying to be aware.

Lots of monitors advertise their response times, some as low as 2ms. That's 1 five-hundredth of a second. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 30, 45, whatever, really. People just like to think it matters more than it does... another spec to brag about!

Ghosting is way more important IMO.

I've heard others say that it's the only 24" IPS, it is according to http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php. Of course that depends on how up-to-date the comments and that site are. I have heard rumors of a new IPS panel coming out in the next month or so but they're unconfirmed the it sounds legit. link
(same link i posted earlier in this thread)

The 24" isn't IPS, I don't think. MVA or PVA or something, I don't think TN. (edit) Does that mean that the NEC is the only H-IPS 24-incher out there? I can't find the Mitsubishi anywhere...

Yeah, you really shouldn't need to worry about input lag, like NKDietrich said. The human eye/mind can only perceive 30 fps, and that's at the max. Theaters use 18fps, with some of the images a little blurry. The brain can blur things for you, like in real life. You move your hand quickly across your face, and you don't see it in three different places, you see a blur.

Say a screen has an 60ms, which like NKDietrich said, is pretty bad. 60/1000 is the same as six hundredths of a second. Not a huge amount of time. The average amount of time it takes for you to notice light after it strikes your eye is 15 hundredths of a second, and that's if you're actively trying to be aware.

Lots of monitors advertise their response times, some as low as 2ms. That's 1 five-hundredth of a second. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 30, 45, whatever, really. People just like to think it matters more than it does... another spec to brag about!

Ghosting is way more important IMO.

...response time equates to ghosting. The faster the response time, the less likely a display (of a given type) is to ghost. Period. Across panel types the comparison is a bit more difficult.

Now, manufacturers do tend to inflate (or in this case deflate) response time figures. A 5ms Samsung TN may be a lot faster than a 5ms Chenmei or some other off-brand. Westinghouse is pretty bad about this in my experience.

I personally /can/ tell the difference between my 5ms 20.1" (1600x1200) Samsung TN and my 6ms 24" (1920x1200) Soyo P-MVA panels. The Samsung does not ghost visibly at all, but the Soyo will sometimes ghost in particularly fast scenes/action and shows the typical MVA color inversion when it does so, which can make it a bit distracting, but I'm living with it. I know I cannot do better for the price, pure and simple, and I do not have the ~$800 it would take to get a truly better panel. Of course neither LCD can hold a candle to my 21" (2048x1536 @ 75Hz) Sony Trinitron CRT, but they also don't weigh 75+ lbs. Something to be said for that.

Input lag is another issue that varies with the quality and nature of electonics within an LCD. On displays with particularly bad input lag it may feel like your movements are slowed or delayed, as if you're moving under water. It's a very frustrating thing for many people, and while it's a non-issue if you're mostly browsing and watching movies on your display if you're doing fast-twitch type gaming it's a major thing to watch out for. Generally speaking displays with built in scalers tend to have higher input lag, as do exceptionally large displays and those from lesser known manufacturers. You have to be careful with a lot of the "higher end" panels as well, however, as their primary market is graphic designers and photo editors, those who are not concerned with fast twitch response but color reproduction and clarity above all else.

No results returned.

Sorry about that, just enter '24'

Dell 2407WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2 eller LTM240L2) panel.

Dell E248WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Dell 2405FPW (*) (widescreen) has a 24 inch 12 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Acer AL2416W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Acer AL2416WAs (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) PVA panel.

Acer AL2416WB (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer AL2416WB (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer AL2416WBSD (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer AL2416WBsd (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer AL2416Ws (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Acer AL2423W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M240UW01 V0) panel.

Acer AL2423WD (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer P241Wd (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer P243Wd (widescreen) has a 24 inch 2 ms (g2g) TN panel.

Acer X241wd (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer X241Wsd (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Acer X243W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

BenQ FP241VW (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M240UW01 V0) panel.

BenQ FP241W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M240UW01 V0) panel.

BenQ FP241WZ (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) A-MVA (AUO) panel.

BenQ G2400WA (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

BenQ G2400WA (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Dell 2407WFP-HC (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240CS01) panel.

Dell 2408WFP (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung) panel.

Eizo CE240W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo CE240W-K (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo CG241W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240CS) panel.

Eizo HD2431W-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo HD2431W-GY (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo HD2441W-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo HD2441W-WS (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo HD2451W-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo HD2451W-WS (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Eizo S2401WE (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Eizo S2401WH (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Eizo S2410W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo S2410W-K (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo S2411W-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo S2411W-WS (widecreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Eizo SX2461W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA panel.

Fujitsu Siemens P24W-3 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung) panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens E24W-1SD (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens L24W-2 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens L24W-2 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens P24-1W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens P24-1W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) SPVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Fujitsu-Siemens S24-1W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) SPVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

HP LP2465 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

HP w2408h (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Hyundai W240D (widescreen) has a 24 inch 2 ms (g2g) TN panel.

Iiyama B2403WS (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

LaCie 324 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240CS) panel.

LG L245WP (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) P-MVA panel.

LG L246WH (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

LG L246WP (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M240UW01 V0) panel.

LG W2452V (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

NEC LCD2470WNX (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

NEC LCD2470WVX (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

NEC LCD2470WVX-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

NEC LCD2490WUXi (widescreen) has a 24 inch 7 ms (g2g) AS-IPS (LG.Philips) panel.

NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK (widescreen) has a 24 inch 7 ms (g2g) AS-IPS (LG.Philips) panel.

NEC LCD24WMCX (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Samsung 240T (Widescreen) has a 24 inch 25 ms PVA (Samsung LTM240W1) panel.

Samsung 241MP (Widescreen) has a 24 inch 25 ms PVA (Samsung LTM240W1) panel.

Samsung 242MP has a 24 inch 16 ms PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Samsung 243T (Widescreen) has a 24 inch 30 ms PVA (Samsung LTM240W1-L03) panel.

Samsung 244T (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Samsung 245B (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

Samsung 245BW (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms (g2g) TN panel.

Samsung 245T (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2) panel.

Samsung 2493HM (widescreen) has a 24 inch 2 ms (g2g) TN panel.

Samsung XL24 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung) panel.

Videoseven D24W33 (widescreen) has a 24 inch 2 ms (g2g) TN panel.

ViewSonic VX2435wm (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms (g2g) S-MVA (CMO M240J1) panel.

Xerox XM7-24W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 5 ms TN panel.

I'm just thinking that a 26" will be really big and take up a lot of desk space, maybe too big for sitting up close? Also the 24" and 26" are the same resolution so the 24" will have a nicer picture. What I can't figure out about the planar is if the PX2611W and PX2411W are both using IPS panels for if it's only in the 26". I also can't find any reviews on the 24".
I also thought the Planar 26" might be too big for my space. However, keep in mind that the BenQ FP241VW is actually 3" wider due to the frame.

If the Planar PX2411 were IPS, people would probably talk about it more, one way or another, due to the price. I think one of the reviews said that the contrast ratio implies it's an MVA or PVA. There is also some talk here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031576940 Also, it disappeared from NewEgg in the past week (gone, not out-of-stock). Odd...

Back