best 24" LCD

skagen

n00b
I'm looking for a 24 incher to go along with my 226BW. This will be mainly used for console gaming cause i'm using my 226 as my computer monitor. Which one is the best out there for outputting 1080p picture that has the most value?

I'm currently looking at these:

BenQ FP241W -- 750
Dell 2407WFP -- 675
Samsun 244T -- 700

Which one would be best for a PS3 running HDMI -> DVI? Any other one i should consider outside of these three? Thanks everyone.

The Dell doesn't do 1080p. The BenQ looks like the best overall package, it seems to have everything.

BENQ!!!!!!!!
I love their new 24"

As stated before in a few other posts this thing is amazing! It has HDMI, HiDef, and etc inputs.
You can connect any game system to it. The picture quality is very very nice (dell may be
a little bit better but all of the current mag's that I have read have stated that they chose the
BenQ 24" over the dell)

I am ordering one later this week when i get payed :p

The Z model seems to have some technology that supposedly eliminates ghosting and blurring, but I don't think the non-Z model has any problems with ghosting or blurring from what I have read in the huge thread. I haven't seen the Z model on sale anywhere yet, but I didn't go looking hard for it, just didn't see it when I was drooling over the non-Z model.

Gateway FPD2485W has dual component inputs....vga...dvi...s-video...usb 2.0 hub....S-PVA panel.....1:! pixel mapping...and it does 1080P. And can be found for a good price.

I thought the Gateway only does 1080i, unless they updated firmware or something.

Edit: Yeah I guess they did or something. I remember ruling the Gateway out of my choices because it lacked 1080p.

I thought the Gateway only does 1080i, unless they updated firmware or something.

Edit: Yeah I guess they did or something. I remember ruling the Gateway out of my choices because it lacked 1080p.

You are right, sorry...1080i according to the original pdf spec file....but the XBox360 outputs at 1080p and this display is accepting it?

EDIT: according to recent files, it does run 1080p.....and the XBox360 set to 1080p output looks very, very good on this display via component.

http://www.gateway.com/home/product...x*home*tab_consumer*displays*catalog_displays

Features:

* 1080P High-Definition support with HDCP
* 1920 x 1200 widescreen high-definition resolution
* 1000:1 contrast ratio
* 6ms response time
* EzTune™ Software
* Height-adjustable stand
* 4 USB 2.0 ports
* 178° viewing angle
* 1-year limited warranty¹

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...AFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1 PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4

i thought there were a lot of problems with the gateway, the buzzing being one of them? I know there were a few more? Are these problems fixed?

I'm trying to decide between the Dell and the Gateway. Right both about the same price.
Dell has standard 3 year warranty and the Gateway has 1 year.
Don't recall if the Dell does 1080p or 1:1.
Seen the gateway in Coscto yesterday, very nice looking monitor forsure.
Also I can get the gateway locally which is nice.
the other 24's like the BenQ are nice but over my budget.

I'm trying to decide between the Dell and the Gateway. Right both about the same price.

For $29 bucks you can extend the Gateway warranty to 3 years....and buying locally has the advantage of being able to take it back and exchange it if you get a bad pixel or something,plus you can hand pick a December model....

The Dell doesn't do 1080p, but I'm not sure about 1:1.

The BENQ model has HDMI and apparently the best screen, thos you'll pay more for that monitor over the dell or gateway tho.

The Z model as of yet isnt available, i think from the BENQ thread that the Z model is available at the end of feb.

I'm feeling you man. I was gonna order Dell2407 myself until I read all about Gateway and until i saw it in Costco. Dont even worry about the warranty since you can return it to costco whenever you want. Just make sure you keep the receipt.

rfisher... Does the "Z" model support 125hz?? Or are there pending models that will do with that support the same technology that "eliminates" blurring? Does anybody have an idea of a release date? I'm currently running an a dying (vga input cable has a loose connector, has a tendency darken, and a red hue if moved the wrong way / vibration) and I am / have been shopping a for a new monitor for over 1 year now, and have yet to find one that can compete with my beloved, dying 19" trinitron.

I'm feeling you man. I was gonna order Dell2407 myself until I read all about Gateway and until i saw it in Costco. Dont even worry about the warranty since you can return it to costco whenever you want. Just make sure you keep the receipt.

Only problem is they were selling it with a computer as a complete system :(
...and i think the return policy on computer equipment is 6 months, after that you have to go to the manufacturer.

Still on the fence....

doesn't the gateway have buzzing noises and other sorts of little problems? Is the picture quality as good on these gateways as the 3 listed above? I'm weary of gateway.

No, some models had buzzing and backlight bleeds. Not all sorts of other problems. :rolleyes:

Just like all monitors, some have problems some are flawless. There is no reason to be leary of Gateway LCD, a Gateway computer on the other hand....

once i get paied this week Im ordering the BenQ 24" and will have a full review shortly :p

I just played with the Gateway at a Comp U store, WOW, what a great looking monitor!!! It has a response time of 6ms. Dont know how good this is with FPS though.

So is there a clear consensus on this or is it all pretty much a wash and i should just go with the cheapest? My biggest concern is 1080p and have a nice picture that's sharp. 16:9 stretched to 16:10 is NOT that big of a deal, but 1:1 would be preferable. Im leaning towards the Dell unless the Gateway is worth it to buy at a B&M store.

The A04 revision of the Dell 2407WFP will support 1:1 pixel mapping. I say will because although Dell has started shipping out A04s in January, they are still shipping out mostly A03s. By the end of March dell should be shipping mostly A04 revision 2407WFPs.

I have had both the gateway and the dell sitting side by side. From the 2 monitors that I have had the gateway is a much nicer monitor for picture quality and it is a cleaner looking one in my opinion. I do like the dell's input switching better but either one isn't tough.. The 2407 i had looked gray on the white. It seemed dull.

Just my 2 cents

I have had both the gateway and the dell sitting side by side. From the 2 monitors that I have had the gateway is a much nicer monitor for picture quality and it is a cleaner looking one in my opinion. I do like the dell's input switching better but either one isn't tough.. The 2407 i had looked gray on the white. It seemed dull.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks man, how about ghosting? Is it about the same and did yours have a buzzing on it? Just curious, i know gateway monitors are suppose to be okay, but it's hard for me to separate gateway pc's and gateway monitors. So in your opinion, you recommend the gateway?

I wish I had a 360 or PS3,as I have an A04 2407.I could try to confirm the 1080p ability.All I know is 1:1 is no problem at any res,and it has no banding at all using the Eizo LCD software tests.I mean none.The picture and panel look betther then my A03 2005FPW,and my A03 is NO slouch in the pic quality department at all !! Another reason I went with Dell,is looks,and the 5 Year advanced exchange warranty for only an extra 49 bucks

I just went ahead and bought the gateway from Circuit City. They're having a special, so it was 650, (normally 680) and with the 10% coupon, it was 584. So i got that instead and am picking it up later. I hope it's worth it.

rfisher... Does the "Z" model support 125hz?? Or are there pending models that will do with that support the same technology that "eliminates" blurring? Does anybody have an idea of a release date? I'm currently running an a dying (vga input cable has a loose connector, has a tendency darken, and a red hue if moved the wrong way / vibration) and I am / have been shopping a for a new monitor for over 1 year now, and have yet to find one that can compete with my beloved, dying 19" trinitron.

No. the Z model is a step in the right direction though. Its the best lcd on the market if you are a gamer (right now). The 125hz monitors are not out to the public yet. Here are a couple of images of them for display
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2904&p=8

Im not sure if they will make these monitors for a smaller size. But if they do they will eliminate the crt. It will probably be a year or two, who knows. I would just settle in for a nice 22" lcd and spend no more then $400

Back