Best 24"+ IPS for gaming response?

af22

Gawd
I want to start off and say that i've been a pretty casual gamer ever since the move to LCD back in the early 2000's. I grew up playing quake 2 on a CRT monitor pushing 100+ fps.

I've been dabbling with some light gaming with my eyefinity setup. Currently a 5850 (second one coming for crossfire) with 3 24" monitors in portrait mode:

1x HP ZR24W
1x Dell 2407
1x Dell 2407-HC

I have been playing some games in native resolution (3600x1920, or sometimes the 31**x16**) , with all the eye candy turned off to get 60+ min fps in fraps (deus ex HR, warhammer). The input and response lag across the dells seems to be rather poor, and i've owned them over 5 years and may need to upgrade soon.

I've been looking at all the reviews of IPS monitors. It seems all of the 27" and 30" panels have double the input lag and response time of a 24" panel.

My current ZR24W seems to be a good "overall" screen, but the LED counter part doesn't look to be as good.

Should i pick up 2 more ZR24W to have a matching setup? Or are there any other good alternatives. I'm also tempted to switch back to a single large display (27"+) but can't find any good for gaming.

The new samsung PLS panel seems to have very average response and input lag.

What do you guys recommend?

The ZR2440w (ZR24w successor) was actually very well liked by TFTcentral and PRAD. Better contrast, thinner, and equivalent or better picture quality.

I'd just tell you to get more matching ZR24ws -- the price has come down a bit and this way you'll be consistent.

Reading the review, the input lag for the ZR2440w is twice that of ZR24w. This alone would make it a worse monitor for gaming purposes.

The Dell U2412M seems like it might be better.

switching to LED on a 3x24" setup is tempting. i will save over 150 watts and my room won't be such a sauna in the summer months. however, in the winter it keeps me nice and warm.

has there been any non IPS panels in the 2560x * resolution out yet that are good for gaming?

Have you researched the Dell 2209wa?
It's not as big, but it's a great ips for gaming...

Last edited:
I went from 30" to 3x2412s, pretty good imo, good response time, good contrast and less than half the heat that my 30" put out.

wow, the U2412M is pretty affordable. it makes the u2410 feel worthless =).

If you have an ATI video card, it could be argued that the difference in refresh can be mitigated with the Overdrive function in the CCC.

I just sent my benq g2400wd back for warranty and busted out the trusty old dell 2007fp with an ips panel and i can't believe how much better the picture looks. I think my mind is made up and I will give a u2412 a try

Back