Best 23" - 24" monitors

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
List what you think are the top 3 monitors of 23-24" and state why you think so as in features, quality, etc. Also it's not a competition of who has the best post, meaning they don't have the be the most expensive monitors on the market, just whatever you personally think is great.

And If you feel like it, you may also list monitors that you thought would have been great, but turned out to be not so great, and why.

Ok Go ;)

Last edited:
For overall gaming / 2d, the Asus VG248QE with Lightboost enabled. Best, smoothest performer out there. I'm partial to this one, get a good color icc, tweak it a bit, and the colors are good.

Eizo Foris FS2333 23" $400
Asus VG23AH 23" $200
Eizo CX240 24" $1500
I only use IPS though. I have no VG or TN reference right now for you and I use my displays for more than just gaming. These are all around and with semi-gloss coatings. Really fast 60hz or 76Hz (Asus) and outstanding color accuracy.

Eizo Foris FS2333 23" $400
Asus VG23AH 23" $200
Eizo CX240 24" $1500
I only use IPS though. I have no VG or TN reference right now for you and I use my displays for more than just gaming. These are all around and with semi-gloss coatings. Really fast 60hz or 76Hz (Asus) and outstanding color accuracy.

there are slow 60hz and fast 60hz monitors? unless you are talking about input lag and moton blur because i don't think that has anything to do with hz, i think 60hz is 60hz no matter how you look at it.

These are fast >8ms lag (except the CX240) >5ms pixel response display's. Really fast (for a) 60hz/ 76Hz display. Probably needed the "(for a )" to clear things up.

For myself, I'd just look at the best models available from Eizo or NEC. But what is 'best' is a very subjective term. For gamers, some may prefer lightboost TNs. Or say the Sony 24" CRT is the best (yet not available anywhere really).

At the semi-reasonable price level, I'd list the Eizo 2333 (if a gamer) or 2336 (if PWM bothers you), and probably the EA244WMi-BK in the 24" size. The latter sort of wins by default, as it's not insanely priced and has a light AG coating. In the 'not available new' category, I'd list the NEC 2490, due to the A-TW polarizer.

As for monitors that I thought would have been better than they are: the Eizo 2436. I haven't seen it in person, but the heavy AG coating automatically downgrades it to unusable to me.

$1500 seems a bit steep for a 24inch monitor; is it really that much better than $400 dell or asus ?

$1500 seems a bit steep for a 24inch monitor; is it really that much better than $400 dell or asus ?

It's a professional monitor. So the things that may matter to professionals, may not matter to the average consumer. Uniformity, color accuracy and color coverage may not be worth $1500 to you or me, but if a person is a photographer and it's his or her business, the cost is worth it. I also believe this is one of the few monitors remaining that has an A-TW, or some way to reduce glow at angles.

you gotta be more specific in the op, this is a really loaded topic. "best" would be totally subjective depending on what you're using it for, as in gaming, graphics, video, close viewing, far viewing, etc. I say this not because I know so much but because I'm now in the market for a new 24" aswell, and was shocked to find out that 8ms 1920x1080 panels in 16:9 are still the huge majority, while response times seem to be getting worse, not better. a spec I would not even consider buying since I hate the 16:9 standard, really didn't expect this trend to continue 5 years ago.

so let me further narrow this down to what I'm looking for, what would you consider the best 23/24" monitors in 16:10, for desktop (as in mostly gaming and workspace) close viewing? ips or tn doesn't matter, in fact I would actually prefer tn because of the lower cost and response times. though tn seems to be rare in this spec and not cheaper at all, not sure because of low demand or what. maybe I've just been spoiled by my awsome 22" samsung 226bw 2ms tn, which is still running like a champ today (after 1 near-end warranty rma :D). so this is not really a replacement for me, just another monitor that will become my main.

here's my shortlist so far:

dell u2412um, 8ms (btb) ips 24" 16:10, $310 3 year warranty

asus vs24ah-p 5ms (gtg) ips 24" 16:10, $260 3 year warranty

they're both ips, so what makes the asus $50 cheaper (besides the usb hub ofc)? is grey to grey really that much slower than black to black? I could only find a handful of tn panels in this spec, same prices with mediocre reviews. there is literally 10 times the selection for 16:9 than 16:10, ridiculous.

Remember manufacturers specs are a complete crap shoot with 5ms rated displays acting like 16ms and 12ms acting like 2ms. A 60Hz IPS with >8ms will usually feel faster than a 60Hz TN rated at >2ms. Not taking into account the rest of the factors that contribute to responsiveness. Switching times are not as important as we are led to believe anyway. I care more about overshoot and input lag than the difference between 6ms and 3ms gtg. Which means we need to read hands on reviews not boxes. Even if specs on the box have not gotten better we have seen some improvements in other areas like static contrast and lag and panel coatings.

Last edited:
I would take all manufacturer response time claims with a grain of salt. Use reviews (prad or tft centrat) as well as user reviews here, in regard to how fast a panel actually is.

If response times + motion is your main priority, consider a lightboost TN. It'll be as close to CRT motion as you can get, based on what people have said here.

Back