Best 22" Monitor for Gamer/Movies?

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello everyone,

I don't know TOO much about monitors, so I would like to ask your opinion. I want to start off by saying I am upgrading from an HP vs17, so this is going to be a remarkable upgrade, whatever the outcome. And now on with the monitors!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824009102,N82E16824252008&page=3&bop=And (hope this link works!)

I am having trouble deciding between these five, and I'm open to suggestions if there are better ones than these for playing games (Crysis in the future, and more) and watching movies.

Now, it was seem as if the SAMSUNG 226BW is the best, due to the awards its won, and the number of reviews. Those Newegg reviews don't fool me though, and that's why I'm double checking here. A buddy of mine has that monitor, and it's a BEAUTIFUL monitor, don't get me wrong, however I think any of those would be beautiful compared to what I see everyday (my own).

In short, which of those five monitors is the better choice for a gamer/movie watcher? Or is there a better one I don't have listed?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I do not need built-in speakers or any certain plugs. Just the basic.

There are multiple v ersions of the 226BW, as far as I know there are three of them.

Also, currently all 22" is TN, so I would avoid it at all.

TNs are the lowest quality panel but the majority of lcds in the budget to mid price range are and there is nothing wrong with them for most people's use. They are especially good for gaming because they have the fastest response times. The only time you really wouldn't want one is for advanced photo editing and what not with graphics. I would go with the 226bw if I were you but you might want to buy one in a store that way it's easy to return if you don't like it.

Have you checked out that cheap soyo from officemax? The 24" lcd for 299?

I just snagged one from Newegg. woot! :D

I'll post some pictures of it when I hope my computer and PS3 up to it.

i've heard the dell monitors are good, but really i don't know that much. just something to consider i suppose.

skizzy - read the sticky in this forum on panel types. very interesting info. to sum it up here's how it goes:

TN - fastest response time, poorer colour reproduction and poor vertical viewing angles. also the cheapest. blacks are usually better in the sense that they're 'black' as opposed to an off shade

VA (mva, pva, etc) - better colour reproduction, viewing angles much better but a bit restricted with horizontal viewing angles from what i hear other members say. more expensive and blacks not quite as dark. contrast ratio very close to that of TN. response time is a bit worse, but now that most are down to 8ms its not really an issue anymore.

IPS - the best and most expensive. best viewing angles and colour reproduction. blacks can appear a tad purplish from what i hear, but i don't have one to compare to. they're hard to find unfortunately.

that being said ALL 22" are TN panels. if you can live with that, cool. some can't. i'm quite happy myself but not all would be. samsung appears to be about the best for TN but thats just my opinion.

there are a few 20" VA and even less 20" IPS but they do exist.

step up to 24" and the cheaper monitors are TN. midrange are usually MVA or PVA. although becoming more uncommon, there are still a few good IPS's out there. the soyo mentioned and the samsung 245BW are TN panels. i own the samsung myself and i am very happy - i consider it one of the best TN panels you can get. the LG is a VA panel and a very very nice choice for the money.

one last thing - if you can afford it and if your video card(s) will pump the 1920x1200 resolution ok, get a 24". why? take a look at the resolution on all WS LCD's from 20"-22". notice how they're all 1680x1050. if each lcd crystal represents 1 pixel, then you have the same # of crystals on any monitor weather it be a 20", 21" or 22". so how do they make them bigger? they increase the crystal size. this results in a less sharp image.

thats why i say go for a 24" if you can. thats the smallest crystal size for a larger monitor. VERY sharp image and i notice a big difference between the clarity of a 22" and a 24".

hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies guys, and especially thanks for clearing it up for me THRESHIN. I'll check out the sticky as well. :)

I understand about the higher resolution making everything look clearer, but for some reason I didn't compare any of the monitor's resolutions in each size. But like you said, I guess 24" is the biggest jump.

Guess it'll be a bit more on the ol' credit card, but I keep monitors for a LONG time, so it'll definitely be worth it. :) Not to mention, I'm going to be upgrading from a 7900GS to a 8800GTX due to all the great games coming out soon, so that'll be great too.

Thanks again.

Edit: So, since me being an avid gamer, I understand TN to be the best due to the low response times. I am now looking at the 24" monitors, but can't seem to figure out which ones are TN/VA/ or IPS. The sticky lists a few, but this one in particular, it doesn't list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001. That seems to be the cheapest 24", so I assume it to be a TN panel. Is this correct?

Edit2: Nevermind, I found the Westy 24" thread. :D

Back