• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 system.

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
4,308
Hey guys, I just bought a new desk, but now I don't have the proper room for my z-5500 setup for now. I was wondering what the best 2.1 setup would be. I'm not the familiar with sound equipment. This will be running on my sig rig. Thanks.
 
How much money do you want to spend?

Ah should have stated that in my OP. No more than $200.00 - Again in terms of audio I don't know what $200.00 would get me, but that seems like a good price as long as the system is worth it. I know I found a Bose system for a little less than that, but I also know that Bose isn't that popular around here either.
 
I am not a fan of Logitech speakers because I think the sound is terrible, but the Z-2300 is on sale at Fry's for only $79.99
 
Would push you a little bit over $200, but you can look into the AV40's and a Dayton Sub-80.
 
Could always consider using your Z5500 in a 2.1 mode instead of 5.1.
 
Hey guys, I just bought a new desk, but now I don't have the proper room for my z-5500 setup for now. I was wondering what the best 2.1 setup would be. I'm not the familiar with sound equipment. This will be running on my sig rig. Thanks.

best 2.1 youll ever get within that price range is a pair of Klipsch promedia 2.1's

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=pd_cp_e_1

theres allot of good 2.0 sytems out there like the m audio AV40's and swan d1080's and possibly a pair of audioengine A2's if you can find it below 200

AV40
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/M-Audio...1208561582512&skuId=8256503&st=AV40&cp=1&lp=1

swan d1080's
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=144

A2's
http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-P...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281658149&sr=8-2

i havent heard the klipsch although ive read the reviews and allot of people think theyr good
i do have the AV40's and i can vouch that they are just excellent speakers for listening to music and gaming. Although if your those type of people that likes shaking their walls and pissing off their neighbors these 2.0 systems wont do that for you. Only con on the AV40's tho is that they tend to get hot specifically the left speaker which holds the amp currently i have a fan running on the back of it so that it doesnt overheat but other than that i have no regrets spending $150 on these speakers
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have one near you go down to Best Buy and see if they have any clearance or open box bookshelf systems. Look for one that has an aux input. I found a LG system that was normally $200 for $120. Put a 3.5mm to RCA adapter on there and you're good to go. It's not "great" sound but it beats the heck out of most "computer" speaker systems int he same price range.
 
Hunt down some monitors and a sub- much better than preconfigured systems for the price imo. I got my AV40s and a 200W sub for much less than $200 after hunting on the 'bay.
 
Hunt down some monitors and a sub- much better than preconfigured systems for the price imo. I got my AV40s and a 200W sub for much less than $200 after hunting on the 'bay.

better make sure those AV40's work those things are plague with QC issues... i got a pair lol u shud go check my other post about the popping noise or thump noise this thing makes when turned off
 

At $170 for the pair these are the best thing mentioned so far. Pair them with a small sub (like the already mentioned Dayton Sub-80) and you'll have a great system and won't have gone much over your budget.

And they'll actually sound really good by themselves. Bass will be there, and very clean, it just won't be super powerful until you can add the sub.

For myself when I went through the 2.0/2.1 search a while back I ended up spending a little more and getting a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe's and later pairing them with a Dayton Sub-100. Out from the PC to the built-in crossover in the sub, out from the sub to the BX5a's. It's been a completely excellent system so far.
 
I agree with dinlee, Klipsch promedia 2.1's

I have the Klipsch 5.1's, my kid has the 2.1's and they sound as good on almost everything.

Cant go wrong with them.
 
Personally I love my Z-2300 setup and it's cheap too. I'm sure it's not the BEST out there but if you already have a z-5500 and need something temporary I'd go with the z-2300 to hold over until you have room for the bigger setup.

It's been all over SD lately for $85-$100
 
After getting studio monitors, I can not see myself ever going back to computer speakers.


I would of suggested the D1080 + dayton sub, but when i got the 1080s they were $130 and the older version.
 
Unless you consider computer speakers as simply integrated solutions, in which case the NHT xD would be pretty hard to beat, especially since the going price these days is around 2k on a-gon or ebay. Many of these are actually factory-sealed from dealers--they never sold very well because these were basically high-end computer speakers to most people and they just didn't like the idea. Virtually (if not impossible) to piece together a superior setup at that price.

DEQX electronic crossovers, ICEPower amplification, +/- 2db from 30 - 27 KHz, excellent wide dispersion, a very, very high quality near-field listening solution. :D
 
Back
Top