Best 2.1 speaker system under $200

those speakers look kinda, umm how should i say, blehhh
i prefer the older looking klipsch and thats what i have.
 
H-Money said:
mx5021 or klipsch 2.1

i assume you're referring to the non-gmx promedia's?

I've looked on klipch's website and i can't really see a difference besides looks...besides the GMX sub having 25 more watts
 
If you're strictly looking to stay under $200, then I cannot recommend the non-GMX Promedia 2.1 set highly enough. It can be had for as little as under a hundred on eBay, and its sound quality is a far cry from the muffled, recessed sound "conventional" Logitech/Creative/etc. 2.1 sets put out. I briefly owned a Promedia 2.1 a short while ago and found them to be enjoyable for most general listening and gaming. The included speaker cables are flimsy, however, so if you buy the Promedia 2.1's then you may want to invest in better quality cables. Klipsch sells a Monster cable set made specifically for them on their web site.

As far as I've been able to tell, the GMX Promedia 2.1's are of lesser quality than the standard Promedia 2.1's. There have been numerous complaints of the sub failing, and people say they don't seem to sound quite as refined. Take that for what it's worth since I don't have any personal experience with the GMX's.

If you're looking to really buy something that'll last you a long time and are willing to spend $200 even, Costco sells the Klipsch iFi system for $200. I was lucky enough to receive a set from a relative as an early Christmas gift over the weekend, and they're honestly the best speakers I've ever listened to. I like them so much that I'm going to sell the Diva Swan M200s I just bought from Newegg because the iFis are that much more enjoyable to listen to.

If the Promedia 2.1s are a cut above the rest, then the iFis are truly a cut above a cut above the rest. I hate to gush, but they've just got so much going for them - a cool little iPod dock with built-in volume controls, a slim radio-frequency remote (which, obviously, doesn't have to be pointed at the dock to work), and a musical ability that soundly beats even the Promedias. The build quality is much better as well; the two satellites are very heavy since they're encased in metal rather than plastic, they have stylish silver grills which magnetically attach to the satellites, and their ball-joint stands are easily adjustable for tilting or wall mounting. The subwoofer is larger, more solid, and more precise than the Promedia's. Even the included 14-gauge silver speaker wire is nice.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Promedia 2.1 or the iFi - it's up to you and your budget.
 
Shorehn said:
If you're strictly looking to stay under $200, then I cannot recommend the non-GMX Promedia 2.1 set highly enough. It can be had for as little as under a hundred on eBay, and its sound quality is a far cry from the muffled, recessed sound "conventional" Logitech/Creative/etc. 2.1 sets put out. I briefly owned a Promedia 2.1 a short while ago and found them to be enjoyable for most general listening and gaming. The included speaker cables are flimsy, however, so if you buy the Promedia 2.1's then you may want to invest in better quality cables. Klipsch sells a Monster cable set made specifically for them on their web site.

As far as I've been able to tell, the GMX Promedia 2.1's are of lesser quality than the standard Promedia 2.1's. There have been numerous complaints of the sub failing, and people say they don't seem to sound quite as refined. Take that for what it's worth since I don't have any personal experience with the GMX's.

If you're looking to really buy something that'll last you a long time and are willing to spend $200 even, Costco sells the Klipsch iFi system for $200. I was lucky enough to receive a set from a relative as an early Christmas gift over the weekend, and they're honestly the best speakers I've ever listened to. I like them so much that I'm going to sell the Diva Swan M200s I just bought from Newegg because the iFis are that much more enjoyable to listen to.

If the Promedia 2.1s are a cut above the rest, then the iFis are truly a cut above a cut above the rest. I hate to gush, but they've just got so much going for them - a cool little iPod dock with built-in volume controls, a slim radio-frequency remote (which, obviously, doesn't have to be pointed at the dock to work), and a musical ability that soundly beats even the Promedias. The build quality is much better as well; the two satellites are very heavy since they're encased in metal rather than plastic, they have stylish silver grills which magnetically attach to the satellites, and their ball-joint stands are easily adjustable for tilting or wall mounting. The subwoofer is larger, more solid, and more precise than the Promedia's. Even the included 14-gauge silver speaker wire is nice.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Promedia 2.1 or the iFi - it's up to you and your budget.

this is exactly the kinda post i was looking for ;)

Those ifi's do look pretty badass....and if they're available for $200 then those are definately the speakers for me :)

Do you know of the dock is compatible with nano's?
 
Yes, the dock is compatible with the Nano, but not right out of the box. If you e-mail Klipsch at Promedia@Klipsch.com with your iFi set's serial number (located on the back of the subwoofer) and tell them you need a Nano adapter for the dock, they'll send you one.
 
Shorehn said:
Yes, the dock is compatible with the Nano, but not right out of the box. If you e-mail Klipsch at Promedia@Klipsch.com with your iFi set's serial number (located on the back of the subwoofer) and tell them you need a Nano adapter for the dock, they'll send you one.
sweet, sounds like those will be the speakers for me unless anybody else comes in with a recommendation
 
My votes are for Klipsch promedia 2.1 or the Harman Kardon Soundsticks, both are grossly overpriced @ retail prices BTW.
 
hmmm...how about the logitech Z-2300's?
How do those compare to the Klipsch offerings?
 
sdy284 said:
sweet, sounds like those will be the speakers for me unless anybody else comes in with a recommendation

By the way, you also need to e-mail Klipsch for an adapter if you've got one of the new 5.5-gen video Ipods. That's something to keep in mind.

And also, I should clear up one thing I said before - I goofed up about the gauge of wire included with the iFi's. It's 18 gauge wire, not 14 gauge. Sleep deprivation can do funny things to you :p It's fairly solid wire, but I guess if you were very particular about wire quality then you could just hook them up with some thicker gauge stuff - but I don't have any idea what kind of discernible difference it would make to use something like 16 or 14 gauge (12 is probably overkill).

hmmm...how about the logitech Z-2300's?
How do those compare to the Klipsch offerings?

I've had the privilege of listening to the Logitech Z-2300s and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s right in the same room, actually, and I can say with all honesty that the Z-2300s were cleanly beaten across the board in sound quality. The Z-2300s, like all Logitech speakers in my experience, tend to put an emphasis on a great amount of bass rather than an enjoyable, balanced listening experience with clear lows, mids, and highs. The Klipsch Promedias, despite their shortcomings, approach this goal much more so than the Z-2300s and do it with a superior build quality which I believe, along with their sound quality, justifies their price.

And while I haven't had the chance to compare the Z-2300s and the iFis in the same manner, I can tell you flat-out from my experience listening to both that the iFis absolutely wipe the floor with the Z-2300s. There is literally not a single place the Z-2300s might even be better. The bass is deeper, more pronounced and more precise, and the mids and highs are reproduced with absolutely incredible clarity. Their build quality is far superior to the Z-2300s since there is a conspicuous absence of any cheap plastic, and to top it all off the iFis have a neat little remote and an IPod dock. These are the 2.1 speakers to get if you want big, beautiful sound that will last you a long time.
 
well the iFi's sound great & all, but i can't find them anywhere online besides refurbished @ the klipsch website for @ or below $200
 
They're sold in Costco's stores for $200. They're not listed on the website, which is something I still can't figure out, but they are in the stores themselves.
 
Shorehn said:
They're sold in Costco's stores for $200. They're not listed on the website, which is something I still can't figure out, but they are in the stores themselves.

there's no costco's within 50 miles of me :(
 
Well, that's about the only place you can get them new for a reasonable price. You could try going with a refurb set from Klipsch, I guess, but personally I'd rather get something new.

If you don't want to drive that distance for the iFis - and I can understand not wanting to do that - then I suggest taking a look at the Promedia 2.1s. If you have any Best Buys around where you live - and I'm assuming you do - then go to one and have a listen to the Promedia 2.1s in action. They should have a set on display. They may not be as refined as the iFis, but I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised with their sound quality.
 
$20-40 reciever from Craigslist/thrift store

and a $160 (shipped free with coupon "shipspeakers") pair of
FOSGATE AUDIONICS FA52.0 D'Appolitto Passive Monitor Speaker

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=FOSFA52

Well, you don't need those speakers, as there are other alternatives for ~$150, but the sentiment is that a used stereo receiver paired with honest stereo speakers is a much better foundation than a multimedia set for your requirements and price range. It can be done.
 
If you're strictly looking to stay under $200, then I cannot recommend the non-GMX Promedia 2.1 set highly enough. It can be had for as little as under a hundred on eBay, and its sound quality is a far cry from the muffled, recessed sound "conventional" Logitech/Creative/etc. 2.1 sets put out. I briefly owned a Promedia 2.1 a short while ago and found them to be enjoyable for most general listening and gaming. The included speaker cables are flimsy, however, so if you buy the Promedia 2.1's then you may want to invest in better quality cables. Klipsch sells a Monster cable set made specifically for them on their web site.

As far as I've been able to tell, the GMX Promedia 2.1's are of lesser quality than the standard Promedia 2.1's. There have been numerous complaints of the sub failing, and people say they don't seem to sound quite as refined. Take that for what it's worth since I don't have any personal experience with the GMX's.

If you're looking to really buy something that'll last you a long time and are willing to spend $200 even, Costco sells the Klipsch iFi system for $200. I was lucky enough to receive a set from a relative as an early Christmas gift over the weekend, and they're honestly the best speakers I've ever listened to. I like them so much that I'm going to sell the Diva Swan M200s I just bought from Newegg because the iFis are that much more enjoyable to listen to.

If the Promedia 2.1s are a cut above the rest, then the iFis are truly a cut above a cut above the rest. I hate to gush, but they've just got so much going for them - a cool little iPod dock with built-in volume controls, a slim radio-frequency remote (which, obviously, doesn't have to be pointed at the dock to work), and a musical ability that soundly beats even the Promedias. The build quality is much better as well; the two satellites are very heavy since they're encased in metal rather than plastic, they have stylish silver grills which magnetically attach to the satellites, and their ball-joint stands are easily adjustable for tilting or wall mounting. The subwoofer is larger, more solid, and more precise than the Promedia's. Even the included 14-gauge silver speaker wire is nice.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Promedia 2.1 or the iFi - it's up to you and your budget.

I know this thread has been dead for a while now but I just received a refurb'd Klipsch iFi set directly from Klipsch and I am truly blown away. Firstly, I agree withe everything Shorehn mentions above. They are definitely a "cut above" the ProMedia 2.1s.....no comparison honestly. I only paid 150$ for them and they look brand new. I've never bought anything refurb'd in my life but I figured if they were coming direct from the manufacturer, they'd be sonically perfect & MIGHT have a slight cosmetic defect. Well, I would have swore they were brand new and considering the cost savings over the 400$ they were origianlly new, I see them as the deal of the century. I don't even own an iPod (probably last human being on earth that doesn't) and I wanted them just for my computer speakers. Their sound is so precise and warm......they definitely have the nice midrange that the ProMedia's lack.....I'm just lovin' them!
 
I have Logitech Z-2300s and really like them. I needed to save some money at the time of purchase so that's the reason for my choice. Their great speakers but they aren't Klipsch.

If you decided to go a little less expensive the Z-2300s are a great choice. Klipsch's however are the best, at least I think so. :)
 
I will second GodsMadClown's suggestion...I think you will get much better sound from a receiver + a pair of speakers. My system is a yamaha htr 5150 (found on ebay around $80 shipped) and the best buy insignia speakers (also found on ebay for around $50 shipped). Everything is still on the way, but I think a set up like this will give much better sound quality than any commercial 2.1 system.
 
I will second GodsMadClown's suggestion...I think you will get much better sound from a receiver + a pair of speakers. My system is a yamaha htr 5150 (found on ebay around $80 shipped) and the best buy insignia speakers (also found on ebay for around $50 shipped). Everything is still on the way, but I think a set up like this will give much better sound quality than any commercial 2.1 system.

agreed...read tons of reviews and im heading that way too

other alternative is getting a sonic t-amp and connect them to your 2 bookshelf speakers..insignia is ok but the amp will only cost aroun $40 so u have around $160 to look for great bookshelfs..
 
Yes, for $200 budget I think you could get a lot better speakers than the Insignias.
 
Another vote for the Altec Lansing MX5021 set.

I LOVE IT. Had it for 3 years and growing. Every couple years, Altec Lansing releases something great. This was it, and it only lasted 6 months before it was only available on amazon.
 
Definetely go for the promedia, I've got the z2300 on the floor beside me and the promedia on my desk. The logitechs honestly are unlistenable to me the klipsch are good enough for me to enjoy my music when I have to use speakers (I'm more of a headphone guy). The z2300s sub has no definition and sounds boomy and the satellites cut off the highs. I can honestly say the 6 months they were on my desk I might have used them 3-4 times. If you can afford it the iFi sounds like an even better choice
 
Was hoping to bump this to get an answer about some of the 2.1 line speakers.


I am looking at picking up a set of 2.1 speakers, but have a few questions, if anyone owns a pair. Looking around at the Logitech Z-2300 and the Klipsch GMX A-2.1 Speakers.

The volume knob has a plug for headphones, but it seems kinda tight on both.
Would a fat plug, from say the HD555 made by Sennheiser ,work or fit easily? Reason I ask is, that I enjoy watching movies on my computer, but some times need to plug in my headphones.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the connection from the speaker to the computer? Cable I guess you could say, mainly the end that plugs directly into the computer.

Thanks.
 
no the fat plug wont work just use the .25 to 1/8 plug that comes with the hd555 to plug into the speaker slot. i actually see no difference between driving it from my x-fi or my promedia's. if i were u i would i also invest in a grado plug so you dont have to have the long adapter hanging out. i would buy one for my speaker set, but i just shelved out too much for my new core 2 setup
 
why not logitech 5300e?

cheap 5.1 instead of 2.1 and THX certified.
 
Yes, for $200 budget I think you could get a lot better speakers than the Insignias.

I doubt it, not if it's a computer speaker, at least. If you want bookshelves, you'll have to get amp+bookshelf+sub for $200 total. Insignias + $50 DIY amp + $100 sub is barely within budget. You just can't get anything worthwhile as 2.1 for $200 unless the Insignias are in. Others can praise computer speakers as much as they want, but I have yet to hear some good ones.
 
hmmm...how about the logitech Z-2300's?
How do those compare to the Klipsch offerings?
I actually liked the z2300's alot better the the klipsch offering. The remote with headphone jack is super convient and their construction seemed alot better. Albeit there is some boomyness with the sub but that can be fixed with a good eq (I love you foobar) and some headphones for reference.

edit: and this can be had for relatively cheap. I was able to pick mine for alittle over 100 so just shop around.
 
I have heard all of the listed 2.1 but to my ears the bose 2.1 system sounds the best by far. It is just crystal clear. Bose Companion® 3 Series II 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System

The bad side is its 250 from best buy. I have not checked anywhere else.
 
If you can handle a 2.0 system, the Logitech Z-10 setup is fuckin' unbelievable when you hear it. Who needs a subwoofer with the bass that hardware can pump out. Typically around $100 in some places, retails for $129, has a nice readout if you're using Windows because it's USB but can also work with straight analog inputs also.

I had 'em, had to sell 'em off to pay some bills, but as far as "computer speakers" go, there's nothing that can touch 'em, not even the Klipsch 2.0 desktop speakers which I really wanted until I heard and used the Z-10s.

Just a suggestion...
 
Back
Top