• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 solution?

phobic

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
4,363
I'm currently looking around for a good 2.1 speaker/reciever solution to hook up to my Shuttle SN25P. I'm in the Air Force and I have the great pleasure to live in a dorm for one more year before I can finally be a big boy and move off base (*sigh*).

Anyway, I'm planning on getting a very large monitor (the 37" westinghouse is #1 right now) and I want a 2.1 solution to go along with it since I don't really need 5.1. I really like the specs of the Denon S-301 but there's no way I'm paying $1400. There's has to be something just as good for a lot less. Suggestions?
 
phobic said:
I'm currently looking around for a good 2.1 speaker/reciever solution to hook up to my Shuttle SN25P. I'm in the Air Force and I have the great pleasure to live in a dorm for one more year before I can finally be a big boy and move off base (*sigh*).

Anyway, I'm planning on getting a very large monitor (the 37" westinghouse is #1 right now) and I want a 2.1 solution to go along with it since I don't really need 5.1. I really like the specs of the Denon S-301 but there's no way I'm paying $1400. There's has to be something just as good for a lot less. Suggestions?
Well, when you say a lot less, what ball park figgure do you have in mind, for cables / interconnects, receiver, and speakers?
 
IceDigger said:

Hmm, nice suggestion but I'm trying to go a step above PC speakers.I guess I'm making a HTPC setup so I'll be using a reciever and a HDTV all connected to my PC. Thanks for the suggestion though.

towert7 said:
Well, when you say a lot less, what ball park figgure do you have in mind, for cables / interconnects, receiver, and speakers?

Well, I'm willing to go $600 at the absolute max. This TV is probably going to drain me for a while. What I *really* want is something that isn't out yet.

"The [Samsung] HT-Q100 2.1-channel system with DVD player and USB host uses Dolby Virtual Surround to deliver a 5.1 soundfield from a 2.1 speaker system. It's due in April at $449 without up-scaling HDMI output and $499 with output." http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6413992.html?tag=ltst

Pretty sure I can't wait until April though. :(
 
phobic said:
Well, I'm willing to go $600 at the absolute max. This TV is probably going to drain me for a while. What I *really* want is something that isn't out yet.

"The [Samsung] HT-Q100 2.1-channel system with DVD player and USB host uses Dolby Virtual Surround to deliver a 5.1 soundfield from a 2.1 speaker system. It's due in April at $449 without up-scaling HDMI output and $499 with output." http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6413992.html?tag=ltst
Hm. I shutter to think of how the samsung HT system sounds. The first thing I would do is goto your local bestbuy, or where ever else they sell those "HT" systems. Then check your phone book for local professional audio shops and see what they have to offer. Although, for 600$, you might find it hard to get 2 bookshelf speakers, a sub, a receiver, and a DVD player, while not going with el'cheapo stuff.
A sub might be about 100$, a pair of decent bookshelfs might be 300-400$.... so that right there puts you at the max budget without even a dvd player or receiver........... so.......

For 600$, when you have to include a DVD player, a receiver, cables and interconnects, and a sub........ don't expect a world of diffrence between a high end computer speaker setup and the sound of the bookshelfs. The only diffrence may be that the cheap bookshelfs sound better from further away.

But then again, if your plooping down ~1400$ on a TV, you cant expect much from 600$ divided among all this audio equipment :cool:

Still though, ide shy away from the "Home thearter in a box" kits. I havn't heard one yet that impressed me for the amount of money they were asking.

~Sorry this wasn't more helpful, others can point you in a sub 600$ HT setup im sure.
 
Back
Top