• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 Computer Speaker Set Up?

UMASS

Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
1,001
Hi All: My Cambridge Soundworks MegaWorks 2.1 set up died on me last night. I'm totally bummed out! They were the old 2.1 Digital Speakers (model 250D) here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/cambridge-soundworks-megaworks-thx/1707-3179_7-30523839.html

LOVED these speakers for gaming. Best Buy has the analog Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia on sale for $119.99 plus I have a 10% discount coupon. I have a local "fix-it" guy for electronics in my town & I'm going too see if he can maybe repair them.

BB Klipsch Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

Should I score the Klipsch set up? I'm only interested in a 2.1 set up.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I always listen to those when near them.... awesome sound, they usually are the best at BB but I have not listened to newer systems lately to compare.

I have wanted that for a few years now, go for it if its on sale. Your coupon for 10% might not apply to sale items, check the fine print.
 
Are you open to a 2.0 setup? I have a pair of M-Audio AV40s and I am very happy with the sound quality. The bass is good and very detailed, but obviously doesn't match that of a dedicated sub-woofer. These are "monitor" type speakers so they do sound neutral, but they are very detailed.
 
I always listen to those when near them.... awesome sound, they usually are the best at BB but I have not listened to newer systems lately to compare.

I have wanted that for a few years now, go for it if its on sale. Your coupon for 10% might not apply to sale items, check the fine print.

I went down & scored the Klipsch set up (last day of the sale) You're correct, my 10% coupon didn't work because the speakers were on sale (sigh) I got them up & running & I like them! The sub really pumps out the bass (much more then my Cambridge Soundworks) Also...They are much louder. I'm still going to see if I can get my Cambridge Soundworks fixed.

BTW....Can anyone tell a difference between a digital & analog speaker? What is the real difference?
 
BTW....Can anyone tell a difference between a digital & analog speaker? What is the real difference?

All speakers are analog. The "digital speaker system" uses its own digital to analog converters while an analog one must use a digital to analog converter closer to the source (such as your sound card). As to which sounds better, it depends on the DAC used in each. In PC speakers, I doubt you'd notice a difference one way or another. Technically, if designed this way, digital speaker systems COULD handle volume changes with its own internal control better than Windows would, before version 7. Earlier versions of windows lost detail (resolution) when using its built-in volume control.

I prefer analog speaker systems (amp inputs) for many reasons. You can choose your DAC, you can use it with more devices (USB digital speakers are the worst as they'll only with with computer systems), and a other minor issues that don't matter nearly as much. Breaking any system up into separate components (the sound card doing the DAC, a separate amp, separate speakers) is always better as if gives you control to replace what you'd like, including when one part of the entire system fails (if ever).

Lastly, jakebot is right in the "best 2.1 setup" - there is no best equipment but the best setup is a separate amp and speakers but generally, this costs quite a bit. Pick up some $100 bookshelves and a cheap t-amp, adding a sub later if you need or when funds allow, and you'll have a system that surpasses the Klipsch 2.1 while costing initially the same. It is an expensive road to go this way though - my desktop system sounds great but I'm into it for thousands of dollars today, including high end headphones and a headphone amp. For the price, the Klipsch 2.1's are good but not anywhere near the "best 2.1 setup".
 
Well...Owned them for a week & they died on me. Going back to Best Buy. Looks like the ProMedia 2.1 have issues w/ reliability. Going to something else. I'm hoping my Cambridge Soundworks can be repaired.
 
Get a cheap receiver from Craigslist and then get some bookshelf speakers.
 
yep can't go wrong with bookshelfs and a cheap receiver... better yet, get a good pair of cans..
 
Guys...I think I may go that route. I own a Marantz 5.1 Receiver (model# SR-4600) that sitting in my basement @ the moment. I'll pick up some decent small 2-ways (Brother-in-Law works for Boston Acouctics) & a sub down the road.
 
Boston Acoustics are fine. Especially if you get the family discount.

Yep. Called my brother in law & scored these here for $39.63 plus Mass tax @ 6.25% for the pair! He told me these were last years model & they are discontinued now.

http://www.onecall.com/product/Boston-Acoustics/HS-60-Midnight-Ea/Speaker/_/R-88718

Also...Picked up this BA sub for $89.66 plus tax:

http://www.onecall.com/product/Boston-Acoustics/HPS-10SE-Midnight/Subwoofer/_/R-88765

Soild deal all-in-all. Ordered up some cables from Monoprice, so I'll be set up by the end of the week.
 
Last edited:
Spaceman: Thanks! The 2 bookshelf speakers are brand new & the sub is refurbished. I'm not a fan of refurbs myself, but there isn't a mark on them! I really can't complain! I'm from Mass. (Gloucester) & Boston Acoustics is about 20 minutes away from me, so I picked them up today.

I'm just waiting for some cables from Monoprice to show-up & I'll be ready. Pretty pumped about going outside the "pre-made" 2.1 speakers set ups.
 
Back
Top