• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.0 Speakers?

phaseshift

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
208
Looking for great speakers but doesn't dent my bank account soo much lol. Looking for under 150.00
 
Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 32 watts RMS 2.0 Speakers

Audioengine A2 Premium Powered Desktop Speaker

Those really do have high reviews. Audioengine is a bit over 150$ but I think it is worth the extra, good luck.
 
personally my preference is T-amp + bookshelf speakers (or if space allows (better) receiver + bookshelf's and sub


but some other powered options..

microlab Solo 6c
http://www.amazon.com/Micolab-Solo-...=UTF8&qid=1369714443&sr=1-6&keywords=microlab

or the smaller 1c
http://www.amazon.com/Microlab-Solo-1c-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0040N5GUW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

monoprice has some powered monitor set ups that have been getting good feedback and are pretty inexpensive.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...1504&cs_id=1150402&p_id=605300&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...1504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I currently have the Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II which I got for roughly 80 bucks and they have been pretty solid for the past two years. Bookshelf speakers would be great too since you can get good ones for relatively cheap.
 
I ultimately went with the Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers + a Dayton dta-100a t-amp, which was about $120 for everything. They're solid for the price. But since I'm no audiophile, they didn't seem like a drastic upgrade to me over my Logitech X-230 set.
 
how long ago you get the B652 speakers?

cause sadly dayton changed manufactures and the new produced speakers basically suck... sad really when they cost $30 and sounded nice they were quite the good deal but no they are not and are just flawed.

if you want to salvage your investment for little monies my thoughts is to start looking for some used speakers... I have my JBL L1s I paid $40 for in nice shape and they just kill...so nice..or my $20 for the pair B&W V202s man... nice nice sounding speakers... or even any of my under $15~ Realistic minimums 7's or 77s

other thoughts the $99 MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival 1s for $100~

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=MORDCARN1CAL&gclid=CPGrydaUuLcCFSeCQgod5HwA-g


or many other options (Polk monitors / pioneers ..blah blah blah.. ) but if those are the newer and poor new daytons ditch them for something else.
 
how long ago you get the B652 speakers?

cause sadly dayton changed manufactures and the new produced speakers basically suck... sad really when they cost $30 and sounded nice they were quite the good deal but no they are not and are just flawed.

if you want to salvage your investment for little monies my thoughts is to start looking for some used speakers... I have my JBL L1s I paid $40 for in nice shape and they just kill...so nice..or my $20 for the pair B&W V202s man... nice nice sounding speakers... or even any of my under $15~ Realistic minimums 7's or 77s

other thoughts the $99 MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival 1s for $100~

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=MORDCARN1CAL&gclid=CPGrydaUuLcCFSeCQgod5HwA-g


or many other options (Polk monitors / pioneers ..blah blah blah.. ) but if those are the newer and poor new daytons ditch them for something else.

My main problem is two-fold;

1 - I'm not an audiophile. In GPU terms, I can spot the differences between minute levels of anti-aliasing. But for sound, I can hardly tell the difference between 128k MP3 and FLAC except in very specific cases.

2 - People here tend to define their preference as the minimum spec, and everything else beneath that is garbage. The Logitech X-230s that I had were lauded as an obscene value for any period of time, and that's why Logitech was relatively quick to replace them with a crappy but more expensive product (the X-240, I think). As much as people here diss Logitech, they've made some good speaker sets in the past, with the X-230s and i4s being outstanding for their price range.
 
The Audyssey Lower East Side compares favorably to the Audioengine A2. It is also cheaper on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...C0&_nkw=audyssey+east+side&_sacat=0&_from=R40

There is also the bookshelf / active studio monitor route that can fit within your budget, but can eat up a ton of desk real estate. How much room do you have to work with?

They are only good if the volume control and sleep button issue have been fixed. There were some severe issues with something along those lines.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My main problem is two-fold;

1 - I'm not an audiophile. In GPU terms, I can spot the differences between minute levels of anti-aliasing. But for sound, I can hardly tell the difference between 128k MP3 and FLAC except in very specific cases.

2 - People here tend to define their preference as the minimum spec, and everything else beneath that is garbage. The Logitech X-230s that I had were lauded as an obscene value for any period of time, and that's why Logitech was relatively quick to replace them with a crappy but more expensive product (the X-240, I think). As much as people here diss Logitech, they've made some good speaker sets in the past, with the X-230s and i4s being outstanding for their price range.


I'm not sure how successfully but i try to avoid having that if it is below my threshold it must be shite attitude.

I have before I started my t-amp to vintage / modern / etc hi-fi madness. A set of at the time very highly regarded Logitech Z-560 speakers and i have also a old set of Z340 speakers.. which repect to logitech still work my wife used them till a little while ago when i gave here my Pioneer SX-450 w/ Minimus 77 speakers.... The z340's are hmmm like nearly 15 years old... these where likely one of logitech's best budget efforts

and while neither the z560's or the 340's are bad... certainly not offensive in any way... I can say for my ears a t-amp and say even my little Minimus 77s kill either of the for SQ.
 
Back
Top