Best 2.0/2.1 System for Under $1000

neubspeed

Gawd
Basically, here's my scenario. I really only use my PC for entertainment because I don't have a TV (I move around a lot so it just doesn't make sense). I have the system in my sig, a PS3, and a unibody Macbook Pro that I primarily use for everything. So, I would like the system to work with all three devices. Surround sound is too much of a hassle to move around every 8 months and in an ideal world, I would like to get around using a receiver/amp if I can. I understand that for real sound, it might be necessary.

I've gone through a few speakers, and I'm sick of having to buy/sell them every few months because they don't sound good. I've had
- Logitech z4 - plain crud
- Logitech z2300 - power was adequate but completely lacking midrange and well defined high tones
- Bose Companion 3s - it manipulates sound so its definitely not natural or accurate. high frequencies cause ear piercing noises
- Currently using Harman Kardon Soundsticks II - high range is clear, mid range is present and adequate, but complete lack of power and it has a hard time producing low freq bass on electronic music.

I understand these are all lower-end PC speakers so I'm willing to up the budget this time for sure. I want something >100W and for the sound to be warmer and a little more flat than the average speaker.

A lower priced option would be great but I'm getting skeptical.

Recommendations and advice would be most appreciated. I'm currently looking at:

Harman Kardon GLA-55 (I don't care for the looks but it sounds promising with the Atlas driver)
Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 4 PC (They sound quite nice but worried about low-freq power)
M-Audio AV40s (Seem to be getting good reviews)
Audioengine A5s (Haven't heard much about these but looks promising)

Throw anything you want at me, I'm willing to listen and try it out first. I love the eye-candy of the B&Os but its not my priority. Thanks!!!

Warmer and flatter are kind of two opposing goals.

If you are really willing to spend up to 1k, I would look at studio monitors, especially if you are looking for flatter frequency response. I have a pair of M-Audio BX8, which have been replaced with the BX8a Deluxe model. I am quite happy with mine - the response is quite flat, they have very good bass extension (it's nice and tight, if you want more bass M Audio makes a matched 10" subwoofer). Blue Sky also makes very nice monitors, but they can get quite pricey. If you are really concerned about flat response JBL makes a series with built in DSP and RTA microphone that you can use to flatten the response to the room. These also have a ton of other pro audio level features that you'll probably never use. I haven't used JBL monitors, but for live sound I pretty much only use JBL speakers. If I was looking to spend 1k on a 2.0 setup, I would definitely try to audition the JBL setup, especially if you are moving around a lot and each room is likely to be less than ideal so the built in equalization system would be very useful. The JBLs also have S/PDIF inputs as well as dual analog inputs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX8aDeluxe/ - $500
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MediaDesk21/ - $700
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR4326Ppak/ - $1000

Thanks for the reply. You're right, I meant to say I want a flat sound.

I will definitely go and listen to some of these first before buying.

Pardon the total ignorance, but will these monitors be a lot more accurate than some of the stuff intended for home listening (like the BeoLab 4s)? What is the difference in intention between higher end monitors and pc speakers?

Thanks for the reply. You're right, I meant to say I want a flat sound.

I will definitely go and listen to some of these first before buying.

Pardon the total ignorance, but will these monitors be a lot more accurate than some of the stuff intended for home listening (like the BeoLab 4s)? What is the difference in intention between higher end monitors and pc speakers?

Monitors are designed to be flat because a flat response is the most useful when you don't know what the target speakers will be. Home speakers, while the high end ones will be close to flat, in their design they make choice to make them sound warmer, have more bass, etc. based on the preferences of the speaker maker and then the buyer.

Monitors are designed to be flat because a flat response is the most useful when you don't know what the target speakers will be. Home speakers, while the high end ones will be close to flat, in their design they make choice to make them sound warmer, have more bass, etc. based on the preferences of the speaker maker and then the buyer.

I have a pair of M-Audio Bx5a and really enjoy them. And flat they are. I use them because I do guitar recording for fun so I prefer the flat sound of reference monitors.

The AV40s aren't exactly what I would describe as flat. Quite a bit peaky actually. Variance is >9db.

fr.png

Great, thanks for everyone's replies.

Right now I'm looking at the A5s, the Bx5 Deluxe, JBL LSR4326P, and the BeoLab 4s (still, I love the looks haha).

That's a huge price range variance you got there...the JBLs look like they are ~1k? So obviously they would be the best, hah. JBL is quite a bit of pedigree, they're part of the Harman group which is flagshipped by the Revel Ultima series--which needs no introduction, arguably the best engineered manufactured loudspeakers you can buy.

I have a pair of JBL LSR4328's + LSR4312 sub.

I love em. Lots of I/O, RMC is nice but best of all: they sound great. I'll keep mine for as long as they work - might even find another pair to have em.

Back