Best 1TB hard drive deal

cwolf78

Limp Gawd
I need to snag a good 1TB hard drive ASAP. Are there any good deals out there ?

Nice find good deal... still dunno about all that crippled drive stuff though :D

I suspect it's why their prices are plummeting... I knew about this "deal" as it's been that price at eWiz for close to a month now...

But IMO those bench stats don't lie... Something's wrong with that firmware...

To the OP: In multi-IO situations (the norm for an OS drive arguably...), the Sammys have the potential to instantly run at about 1/10th the speed of a typical drive... It's a drastic reduction in performance...

I would stick with the samsung f3 or the WD Black. Your going to pay about $15-20 more but you are also getting a much faster drive, both use a double 500gb platter instead of the "most likely" 3x320ish gb platters that the hitachi uses. Less platters = better!

The Hitachis listed above use two 500GB platters.

Fortunately for the buyers, they read reviews and threads, unlike yourself...

funny you should mention that... I was looking for the platters details on the Hitachi.
I am torn between the Hitachi and the WD Black. WD is $10 more. This drive is just for running Windows 7, nothing hardcore.

FYI, there is a "Hard Disk Drive Performance Comparison Guide" that might interest you http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=511&pgno=9 but more specific to your question of what 1TB drive to get, check out the link to the article referenced above my post by Shadowssong which was just written a week ago where 7,200-RPM terabytes Barracuda 7200.12, Caviar Black, Deskstar 7K1000.C, and SpinPoint F3 faced off against each other with this conclusion..

Samsung's Spinpoint F3, which is our clear favorite of the four. Not only does the F3 offer the best performance in all manner of sequential transfers, it's easily the quietest of the drives overall.. the Spinpoint is the cheapest of the lot at only $70. Anyone looking at two-platter, 7,200-RPM terabyte drives probably has value on his mind, and it doesn't get better than the Spinpoint F3 in this segment of the market.

Back