• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 1TB-2TB Value Hard Drive?

Brock

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
1,382
I'm looking to spend between 50-75 on a new HDD for my computer...

Haven't bought one in ages. Still rocking 320gb space haha. So what's the best bang for buck while keeping quality in mind?

Thanks for your help!
 
2TB Western Digital Green EARS model. You can get it for $70 shipped, the drive has 64MB cache, and can give you sustained 125 MB/s read and write throughputs (fyi, raw uncompressed 1920x1080 video with audio is about 90 MB/s).

There is also the 1TB Western Digital Green EARX model for $65 shipped, has 64MB cache, and I don't know what kind of sustained throughputs they are capable of.

I personally have a 2TB EARS and it is amazing. I didn't realize just how amazing it was until like 6-7 months ago even though I bought mine last year (because I basically just popped it in, formatted, and didn't really use it).
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the EARS 2TB, Samsung F4 2TB and Hitachi 5K3000 2TB (actually several of each). The WDC EARS is about 20 to 25MB/s slower than the other two across the entire disk but not like that matters for an htpc.
 
I highly recommend the EARS Green. I have 8 of them and they are rock solid. They are really meant for backups and things of that nature, but they work great for this purpose also. I use mine for backups and a media server.

Their Enterprise black version is also fricken nice. $200, but it's 2TB and beats the velociraptor in almost very category.
 
We have a handful of the WD20EARS/EARX and are extremely happy with the power consumption, low noise, performance and especially price - I'll keep on buying them.
 
Running eight Hitachi 5K3000s. Fast, no glitches, no TLER issues with my RAID controller.
 
Got 4 Hitachi 5k3000s here, running great. Had one die once. RMA was fast and easy. Really happy with them. Quiet, low power, use them in my NAS.
 
Back
Top