Best 19" CRT ever made?

mx1mx1

Limp Gawd
I am going to buy a new 19" inch CRT soon.
I wont consider an LCD or a 21"CRT.
I have my heart set on a 19" CRT.
Please help me decide.
I am wondering what all your opinions are about the best 19" CRT ever made?
If cost is not an issue. What is hands down the best? What has the best image quality, colors, clarity, geometry,
convergence, and resolutions and refresh rates?
Also, why do you think this monitor is the best?
Please give details.
I am not interested in 21" CRT's or LCD's.

Pretty subjective question, but of course, opinions are what drive this forum.

I love my NEC Multisync FP912SB. Excellent picture and color reproduction, can do 1280 x 1024 @ 100 Hz, 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz, tops out at 1920x1440 @ 60 Hz (but too small for me and low refresh).
A lot of controls (convergence, geometry, moire, colors, brightness, contrast, etc.) and with Naviset software, it's really easy to adjust.

I like it because of the colors and picture quality, and because it kicks my old 15 inch monitor's ass, and offers me a lot of real estate to work with. It was also the first thing I purchased after joining the [H] and reading threads about it.

You probably can't find it anymore (dunno what happened to it), but it uses the same tube found in the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB, which costs around $300.

viewsonic or sony.

everyones eyes are different. just like ears for audio.

viewsonic or sony.

i would have to agree. I have a viewsonic 19", and it's the best monitor i've ever had. Getting ready to get a 17" of a similar model for my new box

After having owned Viewsonic's best 19" the P95f+, and having seen the NEC 912, my vote goes for the NEC. Dot pitch matters, refresh rate matters, color reproduction matters, and NEC get's it right.

--If Samsung would ever pull their heads out of their collective asses and develop their CRT prowess (unlikely now, but it would have mattered 3 years ago) they're .20 displays would be king- they are almost as sharp as LCD's.

viewsonic makes good monitors for a good price. NEC/Mitsubishi's top end might be a little better, but they'll cost you more.

Since you are looking for the best, get a NEC Multisync FP912SB or Mitsubishi DP930SB.

They are both exactly the same and from the same ppl.

I'm gonna go grab one of them on Tuesday :D

Originally posted by Pyrolistical
Since you are looking for the best, get a NEC Multisync FP912SB or Mitsubishi DP930SB.

Agreed. I've had mine for about 6 months now. Really nice.

Since you are looking for the best, get a NEC Multisync FP912SB or Mitsubishi DP930SB
Recommended without reservation. I used a 19" Sony Trinitron for three years before getting the Mitsubishi DP930SB and I'd have to say the color reproduction on the 930 is vastly superior to the Sony's and just as good as Samsung's 172T LCD (which was an awesome LCD btw).

I had a 19" Sony prior to my 21" Sony GDM F520 and its performance was among the best for the 19" monitors (NEC and Mitsubishi very good also). However, none of the 19" I have seen compare to the F520 so far. Did a lot of visual comparison shopping. Would agree with chinese's recommendations, but did not see a vast improvement in color???

Sony, Viewsonic or NEC/Mitsubishi would be my recommendations.

LaCie is also good.

I was going to suggest Barco, but they don't make 19" displays.

I have a Philips 109 B4 19" CRT. It handles my radeon 9800Pro quite well, even at high res. Last time I looked, newegg had it for about $200 shipped.........for a 19 incher :eek:

best crt is the one that has the lowest apg number, .24 or lower. only sony got it.

Originally posted by dotcom
best crt is the one that has the lowest apg number, .24 or lower. only sony got it.
That's like saying the best car is the one with the higher horsepower. Would you compare a BMW with it's lower stated horsepower to a Japanese or American car with the same stated horsepower? No, it'd destroy them most likely.

Another comparison: Would you compare a Harman/Kardon 50w amp to a Sony 50w amp? No, it would destroy the Sony in output and sound quality.

There's a lot that goes to being a good monitor, and a small dot pitch is but one of them. Samsung has some displays with very small dot pitches, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Back