Best 13.3" laptop for < $1250?

m1330.

i got a decent (8300gs) video card, 2gb of ram (upped to 4 for 40 bucks from newegg) vista home premium, long battery life (4ish hours on just browsing w/ 9 cell), LED backlite screen, 100GB HDD, and 45nm 2.4ghz processor for $1300 on St. patricks day. extremely light, looks stylish and pretty tough (cept near bottom of screen).

only cons are how weak it is at the bottom of the screen, however this area is WELL prtected with everything around it.. and those bumps above the power button / media buttons that make it impossible to clean out the crap that gets in them (even with sharpened toothpicks..)
highly recommended.

Get an HP laptop, they have sweet deals on them right now with the coupon codes on slickdeals.net

Second vote for the Dell XPS M1330. In fact, don't buy it "brand new." Instead, hit the Dell Outlet at www.dell.com/outlet and browse around for deals on the M1330. A few weeks ago I found one maxed out and I mean really maxed out, 4GB of RAM, biggest hard drive they had for it, discrete graphics, and the fastest Core 2 Duo that model supports - it was at the Outlet for $1199 out the door... too bad I didn't have the ability to get it.

You'd be amazed at what you can find there but you've got to buy it when you see it or someone else will snatch it right outta your hands.

I don't consider Macbooks "laptops" anymore, they're Macs, so that means by getting one you're basically forced into an entirely new OS and no one will disagree that the world runs on Windows (save for Apple Stores, of course). While the OP didn't state a preference, I would hesitate to assume he wants something that runs Windows.

If someone gave me a Macbook these days, I'd wipe it, redo the GUID partition scheme with an MBR and just put Windows on it... ;)

I got mine this week for 1019

4 gigs ram

128 mb video card

250 gig hard drive

finger print reader

have you considered the lenovo x200? Its not flashy, but...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4497
~9 hrs battery life w/the 9 cell.

Depending on your needs, this looks to be starting at $1199 and has a 12.1" screen.

However, otherwise I would also thumbs-up the m1330. The professor I work for just got one, and the build quality seems excellent. I've been eyeing both laptops (x200 and m1330) so let us know your decision!

Another vote for the M1330. I own the 1530 (and it's great) and the build qualities between the two are identical.

My uncle just picked up a Vostro 1310 and I have to say its a slick lil machine. Its sitting here with me until he gets a chance to pick it up :D ( ^_^ glad he couldn't be home during the day time to get it so he had it shipped here) You can get them for as low as $750 and they have a lot of options (even a dedicated GPU and 9 cell battery!).

I think his added up to a bit over $1k though his is specced out something like this:

Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz
2gb of ram
160gb 7200rpm HD
Nvidia 8400 128mb (He's a WoW addict and it runs it really smooth at mostly high settings. I was really surprised)
1280x800 TrueLife LCD
Vista Home Premium
9 cell battery

I can't find too much wrong with it. Vista is snappy, WoW runs great, easy setup, and since its part of the business line it didn't really have any bloatware other than Dell Support Center (which I disabled).

The only thing I did find wrong was the speaker. (MONO speaker wtf!) Its an awful piece of crap. My 6 year old compaq laptop sounds much better so get some headphones to toss in your bag.

Second vote for the Dell XPS M1330. In fact, don't buy it "brand new." Instead, hit the Dell Outlet at www.dell.com/outlet and browse around for deals on the M1330. A few weeks ago I found one maxed out and I mean really maxed out, 4GB of RAM, biggest hard drive they had for it, discrete graphics, and the fastest Core 2 Duo that model supports - it was at the Outlet for $1199 out the door... too bad I didn't have the ability to get it.

You'd be amazed at what you can find there but you've got to buy it when you see it or someone else will snatch it right outta your hands.

I don't consider Macbooks "laptops" anymore, they're Macs, so that means by getting one you're basically forced into an entirely new OS and no one will disagree that the world runs on Windows (save for Apple Stores, of course). While the OP didn't state a preference, I would hesitate to assume he wants something that runs Windows.

If someone gave me a Macbook these days, I'd wipe it, redo the GUID partition scheme with an MBR and just put Windows on it... ;)

I heard Macbooks can run Windows better than PCs but not the other way around...sounds retarded but I hope it ain't true :rolleyes:

I got mine this week for 1019

4 gigs ram

128 mb video card

250 gig hard drive

finger print reader

Good deal!

have you considered the lenovo x200? Its not flashy, but...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4497
~9 hrs battery life w/the 9 cell.

Depending on your needs, this looks to be starting at $1199 and has a 12.1" screen.

However, otherwise I would also thumbs-up the m1330. The professor I work for just got one, and the build quality seems excellent. I've been eyeing both laptops (x200 and m1330) so let us know your decision!

Yes the x200 is good but I might o for something more flashy hehe.

My uncle just picked up a Vostro 1310 and I have to say its a slick lil machine. Its sitting here with me until he gets a chance to pick it up :D ( ^_^ glad he couldn't be home during the day time to get it so he had it shipped here) You can get them for as low as $750 and they have a lot of options (even a dedicated GPU and 9 cell battery!).

I think his added up to a bit over $1k though his is specced out something like this:

Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz
2gb of ram
160gb 7200rpm HD
Nvidia 8400 128mb (He's a WoW addict and it runs it really smooth at mostly high settings. I was really surprised)
1280x800 TrueLife LCD
Vista Home Premium
9 cell battery

I can't find too much wrong with it. Vista is snappy, WoW runs great, easy setup, and since its part of the business line it didn't really have any bloatware other than Dell Support Center (which I disabled).

The only thing I did find wrong was the speaker. (MONO speaker wtf!) Its an awful piece of crap. My 6 year old compaq laptop sounds much better so get some headphones to toss in your bag.

Nice but I'd need at least a T8300!

XPS M1330 +1, and this is a good time for an XPS M1330, Dell is offering a 20% off all XPS M1330/ M1530 laptops $1249 and more. I saw the news with a coupon, And it is said that dell have the cutting-edge technology stunning design. One of the world's thinnest 13.3 inch laptops. That's pretty decent for you.

My agency just ordered an M1330 for me, so toss me in with the crowd recommending it. :D

Toshiba U405 if you don't mind the all the glossy surfaces and can live with Intel x3100 graphics.

The M1330 is OK. I know it has a lot of build quality issues (wobble in base and on flat surfaces) and the 8400/8600 mobile GPUs do run hotter than they were designed to run.

XPS M1330 +1, and this is a good time for an XPS M1330, Dell is offering a 20% off all XPS M1330/ M1530 laptops $1249 and more. I saw the news with a coupon, And it is said that dell have the cutting-edge technology stunning design. One of the world's thinnest 13.3 inch laptops. That's pretty decent for you.

expired!

20% off XPS M1330 Laptops over $1249, coupon K54SDRK72$L6W3
25% off XPS M1330 Laptops over $1499 coupon 0$?X8RJ0$G3XLB

Either of these work?

What's the difference between "Slim and Light LED Display" and "WXGA Standard Display?"

Get a Macbook!

A macbook is 5.0 pounds (2.27 kg) according to apple store.
m1330 is 3.97 lbs (1.8 kg) with a 4-cell battery.
x200 :
* 4-cell battery starting at 1.34 kg / 2.95 lbs
* 6-cell battery starting at 1.47 kg / 3.24 lbs
* 9-cell battery starting at 1.63 kg / 3.58 lbs

macbook is a little bit heavy.

Apple has great deals on the macbooks especially if your a college student I believe you get up to $400 cash back through a rebate and you get a free ipod touch 8 gb.. not a bad deal if you dig apple

Latitude D430... I think its the buisness model of the XPS 1330... Dell business models usually have a stronger frame.

The issue with SSD drives and LED backlights nowadays is people (meaning consumers) are being misled by some advertising to think these technologies suddenly give far longer battery life in a laptop computer, and that's simply not true at this point. Both technologies - SSD and LED backlights - are still so "new" that they've got a long way to go before we'll begin to notice any reasonable increase in battery life for hardware using such technologies and devices made with 'em.

If the hype were true, a laptop with an SSD and an LED backlit LCD panel would suddenly give us 8 hour runtimes off single charges... and that ain't happening anytime soon. :p

I'm still waiting for the 24 hour laptop myself... 24 hour minimum runtime on a single charge, and I'm confident it's possible using today's technology levels. Why some company doesn't just do it is still the mystery.

The issue with SSD drives and LED backlights nowadays is people (meaning consumers) are being misled by some advertising to think these technologies suddenly give far longer battery life in a laptop computer, and that's simply not true at this point. Both technologies - SSD and LED backlights - are still so "new" that they've got a long way to go before we'll begin to notice any reasonable increase in battery life for hardware using such technologies and devices made with 'em.

If the hype were true, a laptop with an SSD and an LED backlit LCD panel would suddenly give us 8 hour runtimes off single charges... and that ain't happening anytime soon. :p

I'm still waiting for the 24 hour laptop myself... 24 hour minimum runtime on a single charge, and I'm confident it's possible using today's technology levels. Why some company doesn't just do it is still the mystery.

I'm glad to see that not everyone believes the hype. Granted, this is hardforum.
Well, I'll put in another (2nd?) vote for the X200. I'm ordering one this week. Why? Battery life, weight, durability, speed, value. And I don't care about flashy. If I get too carried away, I might put a vinyl on the thing or have it coated with car paint (BMW's Montego Blue Metallic and Lamborghini's Orange Metallic are beautiful), though I wouldn't recommend doing either one without previous experience. But as it stands, the X200 is one of the best deals in the notebook market today.

Damn, if I just had the money:

System components
# Intel Core2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
# Genuine Windows Vista Business
# 12.1 WXGA (1280x800), 2x2 UltraConnect II antenna , WWAN, Camera
# 2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
# TrackPoint
# 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
# 5-1 Media Card Reader and Modem
# Integrated Bluetooth PAN
# Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN)
# Integrated AT&T Mobile Broadband (3G)
# ThinkPad X200 Series 9 cell Li-Ion Battery

$1259 as of this minute with a $469 savings on it... geez, I hate being broke so often. :D Kickass little laptop though, definitely. DDR3... Mmmm... and a 64GB SSD is available for only $204 extra. I remember just a few months ago when that same 64GB SSD was over $600 more, my how prices drop. :)

Back