Best 120mm fans for HTPC

madFive

metal[H]ead
I got a bearing going out on at least one of my fans here, the noise is is starting to become a nuisance while watching netflix... and since I'd rather be watching netflix than reading a thousand reviews on newegg or amazon, lets see what [H] recommends! :cool:

So, what are the current best 120mm fans to use in my HTPC? Ultra quiet is top priority, decent air-output second, good reliability/lifespan, and not ridiculously expensive.

Rig in sig, this is an old CM690 case, has 6 fans in it currently, so I'd like to stock up to change them all out as needed. Also just black color, and no lights.

Amazon prime links would be sweet. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was looking at that CM 4-pack; price is right on those at least.

But my case has 3 vertical and 3 horizontally-mounted fans (one of the horizontals is what’s failing now). What is the best type to use on the horizontal? And will they still work for vertical too?

A far as I know, sleeve bearings do not last long when mounted horizontally. For that, you would need ball bearing fans.

I've had good luck with these, Coolermaster 120mm ultra quiet fans.
Now they are sleeve bearing fans, but they will be fine if you mount them in the vertical plane.

Coolermaster fans have consistently been overrated by coolermaster. Do not expect much from them. Their 44cfm and 19db rating is laughable based on every other coolermaster fan I have used and seen reviewed. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you want a cheap fan that is relatively quiet, these will suffice. Don't expect high airflow from them. They aren't high quality so they have a higher chance of wearing out faster.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back