• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best $100 headset?

bkrawk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
227
I've been using a Creative Fatal1ty headset for the past few months and while it's done its job, it's been pretty uncomfortable.
I bought that back for 20 dollars and I think it's time to raise my budget for a good comfortable set.
What's the best headset I can get for about a hundred bucks?
I'd like it to be over the ear with leather padding with USB connectivity.
 
I use Sennheiser PC 350. I use them for gaming and communication.

Now, there are a some people out there saying that this headset is horrible. I am not saying that they are wrong, but only that I have a different opinion. I am guessing that some might not have used a proper amp for them. First of all, this headset was not made for music, but for gaming and communication. The first time I connected them to my computer(X-fi something soundcard), they sounded horrible, like music in a tin-can. However, you have to remember that the drivers have 150 Ω Impedance, which means that they need to be properly amplified. I am using a cMoyBB, and now I really appreciate the sound... even the music.

And the microphone is awesome. It's a boom mic. Very clean sound. That might be the biggest reason I bought this headset. I wanted a good microphone attached to the headphones. I certainly did not want go with a clip-on zalman mic as some people suggested.
 
Last edited:
Uh, I forgot. You said that they need to have USB. However, the PC350 has 3.5 mm male miniplugs, but you can buy a USB adapter from Sennheiser.
 
i just got the jvc rx900 from amazon w/ free prime 2 day shipping for $56 and I think for the price they sound really really good. i just did the felt mod on them about 30 minutes ago and they sound even better. there's a lot of info on them on H and on headfi.
 
Thanks but I'm not looking for headphones, I need a headset with a mic for gaming.
 
I don't think your going to find a very good selection for a USB-input gaming headset. I haven't even heard them existing. Surely you must have a single line-in?

Anyway if you're able to get a normal pair, I just bought the Razer Charcarious headset. Fairly good sound quality - not as good as my 6 year old Sony MDR-V300's - though they are quite comfortable, and have an attached mic that will rotate back when you're listening to music. Also, they come in at around $100 shipped.
 
I do have a line-in, it's not necessarily important that I have USB it's just much easier to deal with.
I would really prefer something with leather padding, the cloth/felt material on the Creative Fatal1ty's really irritate me.
 
A good sounding headset's hard to come by. So no headphone - add-on mic combo?
 
I've got a few clan buddies who are using the Logitech G35 headset and love them. They are usb 7.1
 
Are there any others worth mentioning?
I can get the G35 for $86 shipped.
 
Why bump?

I am not sure if you will get many more "different" opinions. Sennheiser PC 350, Logitech G35, Steelseries something.. or do a custom one... buy a good pair of headphones and slap a mic on the side of one of the cups. Seen some guides around the net.
 
Back
Top