bent pins on 1366 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacho

n00b
I got a new aftermarket cooler a few days ago and decided to install it last night, but accidentally dropped a screw on the socket bending three pins upwards.

I used a small precision flat screwdriver to bend them down back so they don't stick out and put the cpu back tight for a few minutes to make them even with the rest. Although even, I can still see the that there's something weird with the three pins since they are still bent on the lower part which I do not dare go any further to fix them.

Putting back the cpu the machine works just like before. I have an 920 overclocked to 3.6ghz with stock volts, I'm just afraid the bent pins may cause problems in the future or maybe if I raise the voltage to reach 4ghz.

What do you guys think?

Pics?

If they are back close to original and will lay down right when the CPU is installed it is worth a shot.

There is a fair amount of clamping force on the Cpu/socket after installation; I wouldn't worry too much when there's no CPU in the socket. What you should check are the mating contacts on the CPU. There should be a bright spot on the CPU contact where it comes in contact with the socket contact, and it shouldn't be too close to the edge of the contact. You made need a loupe to see what's going on.

I'm sorry for the bad quality, this is the closest macro my camera would do.

4447188228_d8e0512b44_o.jpg

I've used ultra fine electronics tweezers for straightening a few pins in a couple X58 boards. Just be careful, make sure the tips of the pins line up, and boot into BIOS to test before loading Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back