Bent pins? (MSI X99 XPower)

blade52x

2[H]4U
Today i finally got around to begin putting together my X99 build with all of my parts arriving. Except on little minor problem - I think my MSI board came with bent pins. As soon as the cover came off, I noticed what looked like bent pins. I can't really test the board out unless I buy a heat sink as this will be a water cooled build. Should I just send this back to Newegg? Or will they just pin this on me (no pun intended). I also don't know if the MSI boxes come factory sealed (I don't remember my Z77 Power being sealed) but this also did not, but that wasn't something I was or wasn't expecting.

I've seen boards with bent pins before and it really jumps out. Almost like there are no pins. This one is hard for me to tell or at least the extent of how bad it could be. I did try putting in the 5960x and then taking it out to see it would make them worse, but no difference.

50f6mp.png

20fydcw.png

2hz0pav.png

2nv6no6.png

Last edited:
Newegg is good about bent pins......

You can contact them and try but there was a HUGE thread about it.

I think I'm going to try to boot this tomorrow with just the waterblock on it. With a fluorescent light up close, the pins actually looks ok. But under normal lighting it's as is there's a "dirty spot" on the socket, or pins themselves, that could be (hopefully) giving the illusion of bent pints with how the reflects off them. I should have about 30-60 seconds of time to get a post and even go into the bios quickly before the CPU starts to overheat.

You can power on the system to check for post but cant do tweak inside bios cpu will overheat.
I'd say not to test it , because if it short circuit you can blow your cpu or any-other components .
When the cpu is installed , all pins tend to stretch little bit , so if a pin is in different angle it could touch each other.
Hope newegg takes it back , but its better if you get replaced it now itself or else you will have warranty issues with msi later on.

Quick update - I'm going to be selling this board soon (this weekend) with gaurantee that it works (along with NIB 5820K). I've got pretty everything running in it (5960x with good overclock and stress tested rock solid stable, tri SLI, dedicated sound, M2 SSD) so I'm almost positive those pins were indeed just dirty looking for whatever reason. The motherboard otherwise has been fantastic.

I'm moving a X99 WS-E as that was my intended board just wasn't in stock at the time I got the 5960x. I almost don't want to take apart my system and leave as is, but the WS-E will work better for me in the long run.

Back