• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BenQ FP301W

Bastek

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
69
This 30"LCD is on display at CeBit. It looks that they use a new panel with 11ms response time. The 3007 buster?
 
Found specs at

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/screen2736.html

I can't believe it takes a lesser regarded (at least to some people - not trying to start a flame war) budget lcd manufacturer to develop a really nice product!

It has almost everything I am looking for in a 30"er
multiple inputs, fairly fast response time (though that Samsung still beats it on paper).
It only sucks that its an S-IPS panel and not an S-PVA. Substitute that panel for samsungs & its the killer lcd (at least for the next 2 years or so, until that quad 1080 display comes out)

Any news on a release date & actual reviews (in particular color reproduction, black level, backlight bleeding & # of dead pixels)?

P.S. Another link http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4936
BenQ claims that the FP301W will be available to the retail channel some time in Q3/Q4 this year

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=16353
BenQ FP301W (30 inches)
- Resolution 2560x1600
- Contrast 700:1
- Brightness 400cd/m²
- Viewing angle 178/178
- Available in at the end of 2006

Hmm, not a lot of consistency in the release date
 
Those 2 link gives 2 different set of spec. 8 ms vs. 11 ms.

Someone posted a really bad photo many mth. ago on some 100+ pixel "leaking" of a Benq monitor. In general, Benq LCD is not something I like to rely on. The multi-input is slightly tempting though.
 
Happy Hopping said:
Those 2 link gives 2 different set of spec. 8 ms vs. 11 ms.

Someone posted a really bad photo many mth. ago on some 100+ pixel "leaking" of a Benq monitor. In general, Benq LCD is not something I like to rely on. The multi-input is slightly tempting though.

Yes, i've seen that too. I am assuming that they forgot to mention them as being either g-g and b-b responses, otherwise hmm...

Agreed. I would not normally consider a BenQ monitor for anything unless building a budget computer for someone. But, the specs are really tempting on paper in terms of their usefulness. Multiple inputs are really nice for a monitor of this class. While primary computer use is on DVI-D, its good to be able to use other stuff on it without having to get a separate tv. HDCP has to be there as I won't replace the monitor in a two years just to be able to watch HDTV movies/cable.

I wonder if there is any other 30"er monitor to look forward to? Sony? Viewsonic? HP rumored lcd is nowhere to be seen. Is Apple planing to do a refresh of their 30"er or introduce maybe something even bigger ? :rolleyes:
 
pawstar said:
Yes, i've seen that too. I am assuming that they forgot to mention them as being either g-g and b-b responses, otherwise hmm...

Agreed. I would not normally consider a BenQ monitor for anything unless building a budget computer for someone. But, the specs are really tempting on paper in terms of their usefulness. Multiple inputs are really nice for a monitor of this class. While primary computer use is on DVI-D, its good to be able to use other stuff on it without having to get a separate tv. HDCP has to be there as I won't replace the monitor in a two years just to be able to watch HDTV movies/cable.

I wonder if there is any other 30"er monitor to look forward to? Sony? Viewsonic? HP rumored lcd is nowhere to be seen. Is Apple planing to do a refresh of their 30"er or introduce maybe something even bigger ? :rolleyes:
Why would you consider Benq a budget monitor? It sells for the same or higher than the Dell panels do, and its has less problems than the popular Dells do. Benq uses A-Grade panels also with a 3 year warranty which includes the backlight

Budget monitors in my opinion are the ones that don't include DVI or have short warranties.
 
tc17 said:
Why would you consider Benq a budget monitor? It sells for the same or higher than the Dell panels do, and its has less problems than the popular Dells do. Benq uses A-Grade panels also with a 3 year warranty which includes the backlight

Budget monitors in my opinion are the ones that don't include DVI or have short warranties.

Isn't that their target market? From BenQ lcd products i've seen, the issues were usually uneven color reproduction especially evident when not viewing the screen straight on and backlight leaking.
I am in no way saying that that they are worse than Dell (which I would classify as being closer to the bottom of the barrel). However, IMNSHO they are not a top tier lcd manufactuer.

But, so far, they have presented a product which I am most likely to buy, unless another company comes out with a 30"er or larger screen with the features I want. Now if only they had a more concrete release date and if it weren't so far away into the future!
 
pawstar said:
I wonder if there is any other 30"er monitor to look forward to? Sony? Viewsonic? HP rumored lcd is nowhere to be seen. Is Apple planing to do a refresh of their 30"er or introduce maybe something even bigger ? :rolleyes:

You would hope by June when Samsung has their 30" out, that Viewsonic has a much more competitive model to bring down the price.

As to Sony, I lost all faith w/ Sony.
 
Hey guys,
any new word on that BenQ monitor on when its coming out or any info on other manufacturers?
I have to make a decision very quickly before the 5th of may whether I'm getting the dell 3007 before the wipro sales are done. I would wait for the BenQ because of its multiple inputs but I'm scared of their dead pixel policy. Somebody mentioned a 20 or more dead pixels before they would replace a monitor? OMG! Can someone confirm this?

Dell may be bargain basement but they got a no questions asked return policy. I like that. Does BenQ have a no questions asked return policy at least for the first 30 days? :confused:
 
Well, I would suggest that there will always be good deals on the 3007 coming and going. At any one moment in time you may not be able to match the current best. But if you wait for the BenQ and it turns out to be shit, well I doubt you'd have to wait more than a month to find a n equally good deal on the 3007.
 
argh!! This is so risky though you think? And why isn't there more info out on this monitor especially considering the multiple inputs? :confused:
 
Well, all I would add is that this is PC tech we're talking about. It never hurts to wait, you pretty much always get more for you money. I mean, eventually they'll release a revved 3007 or a replacement model etc.

That said, I suppose the new 2007 ans 2407 models are a worry, but I expect they are the exception and not the rule...
 
caboosemoose said:
Well, all I would add is that this is PC tech we're talking about. It never hurts to wait, you pretty much always get more for you money. I mean, eventually they'll release a revved 3007 or a replacement model etc.

That said, I suppose the new 2007 ans 2407 models are a worry, but I expect they are the exception and not the rule...

What do you mean a worry? :confused:
Its just that its the 2nd already and I got 3 days to make up my mind before I lose the wipro deals. :(
arghhhhhhh!
 
I just meant a worry for any future revisions of the 3007 - they prove that Dell is capable of replacing models with an apparently inferior ones, though this obviously doesn;t apply to the existing 3007.
 
Bump.
Well its *almost* Q4 of 2006. Has anyone heard anything NEW about that BenQ monitor? There was news on the HP but it still lacks what a lot of us are hoping for.
 
With the 24" model having a higher contrast ration and brightness, wouldn't the display be better that of the 30"? Just wondering, and counting money that I have no right to spend before next year's wedding... ;)
 
Arkham said:
With the 24" model having a higher contrast ration and brightness, wouldn't the display be better that of the 30"? Just wondering, and counting money that I have no right to spend before next year's wedding... ;)

:stick: what?

The smaller the display is the easier(manufacturing process wise) it is to make it faster and more accurate. The larger the display is the harder it is to do the same... So yes an expensive 24" display will almost always have better specs than a 30" display, minus resolution.

Does that make it "better?" Up to you. Do you want a bigger display with more real estate or do you want faster response times and better blacks and more accurate colors?
 
jamesavery22 said:
:stick: what?

The smaller the display is the easier(manufacturing process wise) it is to make it faster and more accurate. The larger the display is the harder it is to do the same... So yes an expensive 24" display will almost always have better specs than a 30" display, minus resolution.

Does that make it "better?" Up to you. Do you want a bigger display with more real estate or do you want faster response times and better blacks and more accurate colors?
Yes, if the blacks, response times etc are better, then the display is better. I'm using "display" to refer to what I'm seeing, not interchangably with "monitor".

It'll be interesting to see how these two "displays" ;) compare when they're both out and reviewed. Until then, I'll keep hiding pennies away from from the fiance. ;)
 
Arkham said:
Yes, if the blacks, response times etc are better, then the display is better. I'm using "display" to refer to what I'm seeing, not interchangably with "monitor".

It'll be interesting to see how these two "displays" ;) compare when they're both out and reviewed. Until then, I'll keep hiding pennies away from from the fiance. ;)

Thats your opinion. Many would rather have the bigger monitor and higher resolution. The popularity of the 3007wfp is a good example :) Everyone knows you can get better response times and better color accuracy with other displays. What Im saying is that you are comparing apples to oranges. There is no real comparison. Some people like one and others like the other. There is no "better" choice for everyone.

Congrats on the fiancé.
 
I like the specs and the thin bezel...that stand is mucho fugly-fied though and looks worse than the one on my 3 year old BenQ 19" that I'm not using anymore. :p
 
jamesavery22 said:
Thats your opinion. Many would rather have the bigger monitor and higher resolution. The popularity of the 3007wfp is a good example :) Everyone knows you can get better response times and better color accuracy with other displays. What Im saying is that you are comparing apples to oranges. There is no real comparison. Some people like one and others like the other. There is no "better" choice for everyone.

Congrats on the fiancé.
Thanks! ;)

Actually, there is quite the comparison. Part of my consideration however is how best to use my next console, be it 360 or most probably the PS3. With a recent wide/big-screen lappy from work, I'm less concerned with my desktop display than a shared HD display. I'd love to have the best of both worlds with the 30" BQ monitor, or a larger HD "TV" monitor, but with price in mind I might be able to live with the better native resolution per/sq" of the 24". Having had my mind set on the 30", I've had to reconsider the benefits of the 24" over the 30", namely what I would get out of a resonable everday resolution (I only have an x800XT Plat - no dual cards for me) on both a PC and console.

Wish I could forego the other considerations, as the 30" BenQ has been my target for a while, but hey... we'll see how things go.

Thanks for all the help, folks.
 
DangerIsGo said:
All I have to say is what? no HDMI input? :( That was a really good bonus to the FP241W

hehe posted in another thread on why that is. Basically Type-A HDMI(all the hdmi stuff currently used) doesn't support the 2560* res. Only Type-B, even with the new 1.3 spec. That hasnt been picked up and probably wont be because there is no drive. it works the same as DVI-D.
 
What makes people think that its going to be released in Q3/4 this year if they havent even released the 24"er yet?
 
DangerIsGo said:
What makes people think that its going to be released in Q3/4 this year if they havent even released the 24"er yet?

It WILL BE DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :(
 
DangerIsGo said:
What makes people think that its going to be released in Q3/4 this year if they havent even released the 24"er yet?


HP also tells us that the LP3065 will be available in November and "is priced not to exceed $1999"
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/07/hp-lp3065-30-inch-monitor-details-revealed/

Anything can be delayed. Theres very little info out there. HP made that single official announcement(I dont even know where they made it) then released some very business oriented PDFs. Past that I don't think there has been any official news. Since its the first to use LG's panel there could also be the possibility LG isn't coming through. :shrug:


---edit

lol damn thought this was the HP thread... Sorrrrry.
 
StalkerZER0 said:
It WILL BE DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :(


Haha, I just purchased the Fp241W from the egg (yes they have it in stock...Wow) for $799!!! (minus the damn tax and $16 to ship)
 
DangerIsGo said:
Haha, I just purchased the Fp241W from the egg (yes they have it in stock...Wow) for $799!!! (minus the damn tax and $16 to ship)

Then there is hope for the FP301W.......right? *sniff* :(
 
I notice it is PVA. Not S-IPS. No thanks.

Huge monitor + PVA = tone shift all the time.
 
Snowdog said:
I notice it is PVA. Not S-IPS. No thanks.

Huge monitor + PVA = tone shift all the time.

I'm not sure I trust that site for specs. Look at the picture of it for instance. The picture with the guy and gal in it is not of the actual model. And the second picture they took from a pic from the last cebit show. They can't even get the right picture of the unit so I don't trust the specs they listed.

Who has some real info from a non asian site? :(
 
Well Q3 is over, so you can scratch the Q3 part out of "will be released Q3 / Q4."
 
samsung 30 said Q2, w/ ETA at Jun 2006. So you can scratch off Q2 and Q3 off Samsung too.
 
So, whats up with all the delays? Its not like they are new to the business, nor is it revolutionary technology anymore! I wish companies would just come clean with their product launches. Item blah will be available in mass quantities on day bleh or like NVidia started to do lately with their vid card lauches - anounced and availble the same day (though G80 appears to be headed back to the old paper launch thrend)
 
Hi. At the time, when compared to the FP241W, which had a lot of display inputs, the 30" BenQ model seemed like a good deal. The Dell 30" had/has only ONE port - DVI (HDCP).

I'm wondering if anyone who originally posted in this forum (or indeed anyone ELSE) knows anything further about this monitor's release date.

Thanks in advance.
(& sorry to resurrect this - now old - thread.)
 
Back
Top