• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BenQ FP202W Review

MagneticHelmet

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
67
Today I rushed home from school in anticipation that I would have my newest purchase from newegg waiting on me. Sure enough, there was a cardboard box on my porch labeled Benq. I had it out and hooked up within 10 mins and was basking in its 20.1 inch widescreen glory. Formerly I had a samsung 710N 17'' that did very well for gaming, but knowing my dad would need another monitor for his visual web development, I offered to give him it if he helped pay for the new monitor. So, here I am with the best looking monitor I have seen in quite a while.
The first thing I noticed when i opened the box is that they included a dvi cable (and thus saved me 20 bucks or so :D ) and a vga cable. I unpacked it and had to put the base on, but this was merely a matter of pushing it on and waiting for a snap. It has a somewhat thick 3/4'' bezel (not that thick, but not great for dual monitor setup) and in its black frame looks pretty sexy. The control buttons are on the right hand side and are a little hard to get to, but after some fumbling around, i would figure them out.
I unplugged the pre-inserted vga cable and moved it to my room in order to hook it up to the comp. Once the DVI cable was hooked up and the power plugged in, I was up and running. Windows automatically set me up with my 1680x1050 resolution. First impressions were as follows: there are zero dead pixels, it has the blackest blacks I have ever seen on an lcd, and the colors, after selecting movie mode were simply brilliant. I had to go into my display settings in order to manually set the refresh rate for 75Hz.
It was time for the ultimate test for me. Being an avid gamer, this display cannot have very much ghosting at all. I fired up counterstrike and behold! there was almost zero ghosting (at least there was less than my last 8ms samsung 17'') I fired up several more games like nfsmw and morrowind and, after some tweaking, was running in full 1680x1050 glory.
I will update with some pics and some further impressions later, but as of now I cannot recommend this monitor more. I have played on the dell 2005fpw and the 2405, both had much more ghosting and backlight bleedthrough. This BenQ is flawless in comparison. The only issues I have are as follows: Button placement, the lack of height adjustment, and lack of component inputs. I do not believe a gamer could do any better for performance/size/price on anything else.

Model FP202W
Product Color Black
Panel Spec * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
LCD Size 20.1"(510.5mm) wide
Display Area 433.4 × 270.9 (mm)
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.258
Brightness (typ.) 300 cd/㎡
Max. Brightness 350 cd/㎡
Contrast (typ.) 600:1
Max. Contrast 800:1
Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10) 140/130
Viewing Angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=5) 170/170
Response Time(rise+fall) typ. 8 (5+3) ms
Display Colors 16.7 million
Monitor Spec * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Resolution (max.) 1680x1050(WSXGA+)
Hor. Frequency (KHz) 31-81
Ver. Frequency (Hz) 56-76 (for 1680x1050, max 60Hz)
Video Bandwidth (MHZ) 25-165
Input Connector D-Sub/DVI-D
Power Supply Built-in(90~264 AC)
Power Consumption On mode: 60W (max)
Power saving mode: 1W /120V, 2W /240V
Color Temperature Reddish/ Normal/ Bluish +user mode
OSD Language 8
i Key Yes
Kensington Yes
CTN Dimensions (HxWxD) 570x456x170 mm
Dimensions(HxWxD) 396.7x479..6x169.9mm
Dimensions with wall mount (HxWxD) 317.1x
Net Weight (kg) 5.7
Gross Weight (kg) 7.7
Special Feature * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Senseye Yes
Speaker No
USB No
VESA Wall Mouting 100x100mm
Pivot No
Swivel (left / right) No
Title (down / up) -2/20
High Adjustment (mm) No
Included Accessories * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Signal Cable VGA and DVI cable

[img=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6602/dscn01387ek.th.jpg]
[img=http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8926/dscn01406aa.th.jpg]
 
Awesome. Ive been debating between this and the dell 2005fpw for a while now. Im very glad to hear that this is a good monitor for gaming. And for $389 shipped i think this will be an awesome buy thanks for the review. I think i'll wait a few more days to see what the dell 2007 has to offer since it will be out tomorow? Have you noticed any screendoor effect at all?
 
MagneticHelmet: Would you say that the image quality and color is "better" than the Samsung 710n or either of the dells you owned?
 
How does it scale? Is there any noticable SDE or banding? Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one
 
This is the second glowing review I've read of this. This could turn into the price/ proformance king!
 
jaguax said:
All LCD's ghost, even the 2ms VX922, the test is pointless unless you just want to find out "how much" you ghost.

Ghosting tests:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/602/page11.html

Glad to hear you like the monitor. I might pick up the new 2ms BenQ FP93GX depending on the condition my next FW900 is in(this will be my 3rd, my first two being defective)...


Where will you be picking up the FP93GX because I'm ready to buy a new 19".
 
I"ve read somewhere where they called it a TN panel, but a lot of others claim it's 8-bit
 
steveng said:
is there noise from the power supply? the guy who reviewed this monitor said that there was noise from the power supply. that sounds scary.
also anyone knows what panel this monitor used? this site says it's 8-bit http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=4581&head=18
another site said it's 6-bit TN panel b/c of it's narrow vertical view angle
http://www.behardware.com/news/7892/benq-fp202w-tn-panel.html
I recently bought this monitor also but haven't had much time using it yet, but there is a very high pitched sound... however I can only hear it if I put my ear near the back/top of the monitor. I have a regular TV that puts out that same sound, only its much louder on my TV. I'm the only one in my family that can hear it though.

I've read other brands of monitors that do this also.

So far I really like the monitor. I did have one very dark blue stuck pixel, but its extremely hard to see (I have to really search for it and can only see it if I'm 6 inches or closer, and I only see it on black).

The screen is not glossy.

Edit: I have no idea if its a true 8-bit panel or not, but noticed the stats on the monitor seem weird. The link below has 2 seperate stats for viewing angles, and I don't know what that exactly means (one is 140/130 and the other 170/170)

http://www.benq.com/products/product.cfm?product=608&page=specifications
 
Theres no need to worry about any high pitch sounds. I had a sony flat panel that would scream and its GREAT, I still have it to this day (3 years).
Every electronic puts out a squeal of some kind, its how things are.
God I love my Gateway 2185W
 
Nephandus said:
I"ve read somewhere where they called it a TN panel, but a lot of others claim it's 8-bit
It's definitely TN, but there's nothing inherent about TN panels that would prevent it from being 8-bit.
 
It has viewing angle of 140/130 with CR >=10

while it has 170/170 with CR>=5

I am pretty new to LCD's and i dont know what CR means..anyone chime in on this?
 
i just ordered me a BenQ FP202W from newegg... when i get it ill post a review along with pics :)
 
I'm also hearing that this monitor is 16.2m in here...while some other country shows it 16.7m......anyone got idea for that....
 
Hi :)
I have had BenQ FP202W since december. First I thought of ordering dell but the problems with the backlight kept me from ordering it.
Then I decided to order this monitor because it was fairly cheap... about 470€.
It was my first lcd monitor and I've been very happy with it. There were no backlight bleeding or dead pixels. And no high pitched sound like someone mentioned.
I haven't tried any games with it yet because my graphics card doesn't play current games with their highest settings with monitors native resolution and anyway I am waiting for the upcoming Geforce 7900.
 
How does the color and viewing angle compare to the Gateway FPD2185W?

I saw the FPD2185W at futureshop, and when I moved my head a little bit to either side, the color changed dramatically. It was also too dark.

I hope the BENQ does not have the same viewing angle problem like the FPD2185W.
 
ana said:
Hi :)
I have had BenQ FP202W since december. First I thought of ordering dell but the problems with the backlight kept me from ordering it.
Then I decided to order this monitor because it was fairly cheap... about 470€.
It was my first lcd monitor and I've been very happy with it. There were no backlight bleeding or dead pixels. And no high pitched sound like someone mentioned.
I haven't tried any games with it yet because my graphics card doesn't play current games with their highest settings with monitors native resolution and anyway I am waiting for the upcoming Geforce 7900.

Since you haven't had the chance to try out games how about movies?

ie. how is it on colors. Is there video noise? Motion blur...blah blah blah
 
Chairman Ma said:
Since you haven't had the chance to try out games how about movies?

ie. how is it on colors. Is there video noise? Motion blur...blah blah blah

There are as many opinions as there are people. So if I don't see any major problems with this lcd some other propably has a different opinion... :)
Anyway coming from an old CRT this has obviously been an improvement for me. So I am propably not the right person to point some negative issues with this monitor.
But to me colours seem to be ok in films and I haven't noticed any blurring that would stick out too much..
 
just bought one....will let you guys know how the colors look....i'll be very pissed if it isnt 8bit
:mad:
 
I had sent BenQ and email a few times asking about it, and I have sent other emails asking different questions, and not once have I received a reply back from them to my simple questions. Thats usually a sign of poor customer service.

I do like the monitor though.
 
I saw a pic someone took of the monitor while they were gaming and it looked freakin sweet. Didn't notice any banding and colors looked really vivid.
 
Well after posting my previous message I got a reply back from Benq asking whether it was a true 8 bit panel, or if it was using dithering. Below is his reply back. However I thought dithering was how 6bit panels achieved 16.7m colors? It also doesn't explain why the US website says it has dithering.


"The FP202W uses a TN panel with 8-bit drive giving full 16.77 million colours. Dithering only achieves 16.2 million colours.

Regards

BenQ Technical Support"
 
I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on this one..I"ve heard too many good things and seen a lot of good SS's..will let everyone know my opinion when i get it.
 
Here's something about what I've just learned:
Colour Depth
The colour depth of a TFT monitor is related to how many colours it can produce. The more colours the better the colour range. Colour reproduction is different however as this related to how reliably produced the colours are.

Firstly, some widely used terms to describe colour depth:
24bit = 8 bit = 16.7 million colours
18bit with dithering = 6 bit = 16.2 million colours
18bit = 6 bit = 262,144 colours

On paper, TFT screens are able to display 256 shades of red, 256 shades of blue, and 256 shades of green. The combination of all three provides 16.7 millions of different shades. This is what a VA or IPS screen does and these panel technologies offer true 24bit colour.
TN Film screens are more economical. In fact, they only display 64 red, 64 blue and 64 green. The maximum amount of colours is 262 144. In order to reach 16 million colours, the manufacturers use a process called dithering. This process displays two close colours so quickly that only one is seen allowing them to give the impression of much better colour reproduction. So instead of recognising all 0,1,2,3,4 shades and so on until 255, TN screens only knows the shades 0, 4 ,8 ,12 ,16 ,20 … until 252. This method is very efficient. But it still has two main issues: the screen flickering is perceptible and the shade 253, 254 and 255 cannot be displayed. With the dithering, all colours are displayed from 0 to 252, so the result is 253 red x 253 blue x 253 green = 16.2 millions of colours. There are now a multiplicity of algorithms that make this possible and more or less effective. Many TN film panels are still quoted as being 16.7 million colours, but this is not true, they can only offer 6 bit colour levels, whereas VA / IPS panels can offer a true 8 bit colour range.

BenQ Senseye

The marketing for Senseye says: “A pure digital image enhancement technology that automatically and dynamically improves image quality. And a simple promise of higher definition visuals that are deeper, richer and clearer. Experience Senseye technology today – and come one step closer to the true power of the human eye.”

The idea behind the technology is to make the colours richer, and more vivid; and the image quality sharper and clearer. The original image signal is processed through three engines:

Contrast Enhancement Engine (CEE) – supposedly improves the contrast ratio making the bright areas brighter, and the darker areas darker

Colour Management Enginer (CME) – adjusts red, blue and green colour depths and supposedly improves skin colour tones

Sharpness Enhancement Engine (SEE) – sharpens outlines and helps avoid blurring of edges

In reality the Senseye products merely offer a series of presets which the user can select like “photo, movies, user” etc. The colours and brightness / contrast are set for each selection, with the “user” option allowing you to change them all manually. In real use, the Senseye technology is not particularly useful.

Above are the information just read on tftcentral....if it's true.....then...Anyway, I did entered the shop see the BENQ FP202W myself..I think it is okay...And I've also heard some use this monitor with no complaints...
 
tc17 said:

Yes, I've read that...When I've been in the store, I think the BENQ FP202W looks okay. Maybe put another monitor together could notice the difference.

Check the picture below, left senseye off, right senseeye on:
000127471.jpg

000127467.jpg

000127483.jpg

000127481.jpg

000127482.jpg


Anyway, about the color depth on this monitor. BENQ FP202W uses CHUNGHWA CLAA201WA01 TN films panel. Someone already opened it up. Here's the picture:
000139518.jpg


Panel data LINK
 
jekyll917 said:
Firstly, some widely used terms to describe colour depth:
24bit = 8 bit = 16.7 million colours
18bit with dithering = 6 bit = 16.2 million colours
18bit = 6 bit = 262,144 colours

On paper, TFT screens are able to display 256 shades of red, 256 shades of blue, and 256 shades of green. The combination of all three provides 16.7 millions of different shades. This is what a VA or IPS screen does and these panel technologies offer true 24bit colour.
TN Film screens are more economical. In fact, they only display 64 red, 64 blue and 64 green. The maximum amount of colours is 262 144. In order to reach 16 million colours, the manufacturers use a process called dithering. This process displays two close colours so quickly that only one is seen allowing them to give the impression of much better colour reproduction. So instead of recognising all 0,1,2,3,4 shades and so on until 255, TN screens only knows the shades 0, 4 ,8 ,12 ,16 ,20 … until 252. This method is very efficient. But it still has two main issues: the screen flickering is perceptible and the shade 253, 254 and 255 cannot be displayed. With the dithering, all colours are displayed from 0 to 252, so the result is 253 red x 253 blue x 253 green = 16.2 millions of colours. There are now a multiplicity of algorithms that make this possible and more or less effective. Many TN film panels are still quoted as being 16.7 million colours, but this is not true, they can only offer 6 bit colour levels, whereas VA / IPS panels can offer a true 8 bit colour range.
This just isn't true. There is nothing special about MVA, PVA, S-PVA, IPS, S-IPS, TN, AFFS, or any other LCD technology that affects the color depth of the panel. The fact is that TN panels are cheaper to make, and 6-bit drivers are cheaper too, so the cheap panels tend to be TN and 6-bit, but not all TN panels are 6-bit, and not all non-TN panels are 8 bit. What determines 6 vs 8 bit is the driver ICs that are TAB bonded to the LCD panel.

To prove my point...

Here's a 6 bit 15" panel from NEC, that has their equivalent of IPS (Advanced TFT). http://www.necelam.com/display/index.php?Subject=Detail&part=NL10276AC30-07

Now, here's a 8-bit TN panel from NEC http://www.necelam.com/display/index.php?Subject=Detail&part=NL10276BC30-10
 
Stereodude said:
This just isn't true. There is nothing special about MVA, PVA, S-PVA, IPS, S-IPS, TN, AFFS, or any other LCD technology that affects the color depth of the panel. The fact is that TN panels are cheaper to make, and 6-bit drivers are cheaper too, so the cheap panels tend to be TN and 6-bit, but not all TN panels are 6-bit, and not all non-TN panels are 8 bit. What determines 6 vs 8 bit is the driver ICs that are TAB bonded to the LCD panel.

To prove my point...

Here's a 6 bit 15" panel from NEC, that has their equivalent of IPS (Advanced TFT). http://www.necelam.com/display/index.php?Subject=Detail&part=NL10276AC30-07

Now, here's a 8-bit TN panel from NEC http://www.necelam.com/display/index.php?Subject=Detail&part=NL10276BC30-10

Thanks for the input !!! :) I hope there's a way could proof a monitor color depth by a easy way...
 
well i ordered mine last sunday and its arriving tomorrow... ill post a little review/pics
 
Back
Top