BenQ 1655 Firmware suggestions

Bullitt

2[H]4U
Guys, I need a suggestion

I picked up a BenQ 1655 the other day and am quite pleased with it.
Burns are very good quality, almost on par with my plexwriter. However, I am running into some problems burning TY02 media at anything higher than 8x. My plexwriter eats this stuff up @ 12x without missing a beat.

What are the better 3rd party firmwares out there that will adjust the writing strategies to crank up the speeds?

What problems? Have you used QSuite 2.1 to enable overspeeding? Also, try disabling WOPC.

I have enabled Overburn and got pretty crummy results. The speeds varied from a 10.1 down to high six's giving overall speeds of, well... 7.5x.

I've upgraded the firmware, lemme give that a shot on how fast this thing can go...

disabling WOPC and running Qcheck, it claims a 16x write. 5:59 from start to finish TY02 media.

When I do that, I get some really bad PIF errors (about 800) in the first 15% of the burn. It doesnt seem to affect the quality of the output, but I'm just not used to seeing that.

It also happens with MCC004 media (verbatim 16x +R's) so I dont believe it to be a bad batch of media. MCC004 media took 5:54 from start to finish.

Verbatim 16x
mcc.jpg

Sony 8x (TY02)
ty02.jpg

I'm _really_ pleased with this burner using MCC004 (Verbatim 16x +r) stuff.

I'm a tad concerned with the TY02 stuff since I've got over 100 blanks left. The couple I've burned @ 8x had some artifacting, but thinking about it, its probably a factor of the compression I did to get dvd-9 -> dvd-5. The end result is I'm not _unhappy_ with the BenQ, but Its no Plextor. Then again, I paid $55 for the benq. Its not a bad deal. My other concern with the BenQ + TY02 media is right at the 200MB point where I can hear the burner slow down and the speed tests show that point. I've tried 8x and 16x and the dip is still there.

If I'm gonna burn @ 16x, the MCC004 stuff really makes the grade in my experience. The TY02 stuff burned well @ 16x but not as well as the MCC004. However, I'm getting more performance than what I paid for so I shouldnt bitch too much. :)

I'll just burn media at their rated speeds since this drive is in a second headless box that I assembled just for media encoding/burning.

The following shot is from a dvd I just watched burned @ 16x using TY02 (read-speed down to 8x for the quality test) where I noticed the artifacts. Its the 2nd from the bottom disk in a spindle. Firmware is BCDB (latest from BenQ)

DW1655-BCDB-16x.jpg

The firmware made a pretty good enhancement to the BCAB version which was shipped with mine. Its more noticeable with the TY02 than with the MCC004, but I'll credit BenQ with a good job.

For s@#$ and grins, here's a CMC Magnetic burn. Don't laugh, its the first media I bought BEFORE I READ THE FAQ. I paid $4 for a spindle of 40 on black friday a year ago...
These things are crap, won't play on any settop box I have access to (mainly Sony and LG devices). The scan looks pretty good up until the media quality control suckage makes itself known.

cmcmag8x.jpg

Back