Benefits Pentium d 8xx vs 9xx

smoothmove

Limp Gawd
Is there any benefits to either series processor? NOT OVERCLOCKED

I have read that OC is better with the 9xx series, but the 8xx series have had a recent price break.

Is there any performance differences between the two different series cpus?

Thanks

The 900 run cooler, much cooler and I believe they have more L2 cache, 2mb per core. But they don't have EIST yet, mine doesn't clock down.

I believe the 9xx is simply better. It's a die shrink so it runs a great deal cooler, and it containts 2x 2MB L2 cache, that runs with no increased latency - making it not only double what the 8xx has, but at the same speed. The processor also has virtualization etc. - you may feel uncomfortable with the heat your 8xx generates in comparison to a 9xx Presler, but even at stock speeds the Presler will beat a Smithfield, even if only by a small margin.

Thanks.

I have 3 - 820's in my home computers. I noticed that all of them run really hot. I am going to phase them out and replace them with 920's.

I just needed to know if there was a difference. My 820's always have my fans screaming under any heavy use- even with a Zalman 7700.

at stock my 920 was very cool.

Now at +1.1Ghz overclock (3.9Ghz!) it idles at about 39C and under full 100% load it runs about 62C.

I think thats pretty good for 2 cores at near 4Ghz with 4mb of L2 cache total.

Back