Benefits of Vista??

NTJedi

Limp Gawd
What are the benefits of moving to Windows Vista?

Are gaming benchmarks better on Windows Vista?

What are the disadvantages of moving to Windows Vista?

NTJedi said:

Have a prettier OS, DX10, better search engine

Drivers for nvidia aren't matured yet so not atleast for my 7800GT

Windows explorer seems harder to navigate than previous versions, along with non-matured drivers (for now). Many incomptibilites at the moment with older software. High Hardware requirements to have a proper experience.

I've played with RTM, i think i'll hold off another 6months to a year to see if its any better.

I dont have any hard facts but from my experience:

Although it takes more memory and cpu to run the OS EVERYTHING is faster for me.

I really only play UT2004 and FPS, visuals and gameplay are better.

My biggest annoyance is that it doesnt run older versions of Nero, I've tried 5, 6, 6.3 6.6, none work. I saw on Nero site they have a version that is suppose to work but I have to wait a little longer before my company purchases it.

Over all I am pleased and feel if you have the hardware to support it you wont be disappointed.

I wonder how many of these threads are going to appear in the coming weeks, not only here but at every single forum or website related to Windows or computers in general.

A shitload, that's for sure.

Benefits of moving to Vista... Hrmmm...

You're getting in on the ground floor, as the saying goes. Vista is new, why not start out with it as it's starting out itself. XP has been around for a while, and everyone knows it. Hell, you might start using Vista and learn something your friends or family don't know and you might actually end up helping them solve a particular issue they'd never have figured out on their own.

That's enough for me - learning something new is already an important thing.

Are gaming benchmarks better on Windows Vista... Hrmmm...

At this moment, pretty much every benchmark published on the Internet means jack shit - at this moment - because Vista isn't out yet, it doesn't have "official" non-beta drivers, so any data currently available is truly meaningless.

Ask this question again mid-February and we'll be able to provide some useful data.

What are the disadvantages of moving to Windows Vista... Hrmmm...

You have to learn something new, which requires effort, something which a great many people not only shy away from personally but will make an effort (funny how that works) to tell others not to put out any effort at all and keep themselves just as ignorant and in the dark as the person telling them not to put out the effort to begin with.

It will take time for you to learn how Vista works, how the interface works, how it installs software differently, how and why the UAC is there and why it's a very good thing, why Vista handles RAM different and seeing 1.2GB of RAM in use with just a browser and your email client open isn't a bad thing, etc.

There are a lot of disadvantages to moving to Vista - but only if you let them be disadvantages.

Hope this helps...

UltraJounin:

Nero 7 Lite or Micro... www.updatepack.nl - 7.5.7.0 was the first version that's Vista ready

I try to <hint, hint> at that stuff with the first thing I say... I'm trying, I'm trying... hehehe

djnes said:
Hmmmm....quite ironic for this type of thread?

nice.

There are some other small benefits; slipstreaming is easier, defrags are automatic now, faster booting with ReadyBoost, SuperFetch, Sleep functionality, IPv6 enabled, UAC, Aero Glass, Random Address Space Layout for x64 OS, two-way firewall, parental controls, Complete Backup (a la Ghost), some versions have the bitlocker for drive encryption, USB drive lockdown, and one long install process :) . Little things that all together make Vista a nice OS to move to when the drivers are there and mature, like in about 2 years :)

PS: I tried posting this last night but the dbase went down :(

windows vista has a new gui, but it also is more advanced on the inside, has new ideas, new technology inside. to me, vista is a major "upgrade," like a sp4 but payed. mainly made for people who have newer computers.

DragonNOA1 said:
nice.

There are some other small benefits; slipstreaming is easier, defrags are automatic now, faster booting with ReadyBoost, SuperFetch, Sleep functionality, IPv6 enabled, UAC, Aero Glass, Random Address Space Layout for x64 OS, two-way firewall, parental controls, Complete Backup (a la Ghost), some versions have the bitlocker for drive encryption, USB drive lockdown, and one long install process :) . Little things that all together make Vista a nice OS to move to when the drivers are there and mature, like in about 2 years :)

PS: I tried posting this last night but the dbase went down :(

I don't like how you can't see whats going on on the defrag, and is super slow to me. (maybe the initial defraging 2.5+ gig for the OS is why?!)

UAC is good but annoying with consistant questions to allow/deny.

Superfetch on vista is better, but XP SP2 has superfetch:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnableSuperfetch"=dword:00000001
(copy in notepad, save as superfetch.reg and then run it.)

here is a nice article about some of the cutesy stuff of Vista into XP:
Why wait for vista

Thanks for all the replys!

Any other inside advice, personal experiences and/or OS benchmark comparisons would be great too!

I've been running it on a test machine at work for a while and the most noticable thing for me is that startup and shutdown times are MUCH faster than in xp. It may not sound like a lot, but I would guess that vista shaves a solid 10-15 seconds off the boot time over XP and shut downs are almost instantaneous.

Other than that, the new interface is nice, but takes some getting used to. I dislike some things about it (there's no longer a shortcut on the start menu for shut down) but the search feature is well implemented and quick.

Overall it's shaping up nicely, but because gaming is mainly what I do at home, I'm not going to be upgrading to vista for a while yet. I want the drivers to mature and the fact that I do not have a dx10 gpu makes switching less attractive. I'm usually not an early adopter of tech: I want to get the bugs ironed out and make it as smooth as possible so I would advise waiting at this point.

If anyone wants to make a compiled thread covering the subject, let me know, I'll sticky it.

And relax on the multi-colored posts please.

RogueTrip said:
Superfetch on vista is better, but XP SP2 has superfetch:

Uhmmm... No. It doesn't. You've been reading too many of those "Speed up your PC!!!" websites with tips that do absolutely nothing for XP like the good old "Tweak your L2 cache" one or even better is the IOPageLockLimit one. They've all been proven many times to have no effect on performance in any way; they were merely leftovers with Registry keys that people automagically figured "Hey, if it worked for NT4/2K, it must work for XP too, it's even in the Registry... after I added the key..."

While it's similar in principle to what Vista offers, XP doesn't come close.

NTJedi said:

Will eventually be the only supported OS. Seriously, if you don't keep up, you will get left behind. Microsoft won't support WinXP forever. And IMHO, they won't support it for as long as they supported Win98, but we'll see.

I wouldn't think so. Obviously, they'll tout DirectX 10, but that really is independent of Vista. If anything, I'd expect the numbers to go down a bit just because of additional memory footprint... but that depends on amount of memory anyhow.

Some compatability, some upgrades will be required... pretty much the usual stuff when Microsoft forces an upgrade. So... there can be some cost involved. Obviously for the upgrade to Vista, but apps might have some cost for upgrades... if not, surely it will cost you a bit of your time.

If you're a Microsoft user, Vista is in your future... it's just a matter of when. It would be difficult to skip a generation and wait for the next gen product from Microsoft (not saying it's impossible...just difficult).

bbz_Ghost said:
you might start using Vista and learn something your friends or family don't know and you might actually end up helping them solve a particular issue they'd never have figured out on their own.

Man, I was hoping Vista would be my ESCAPE from having people pester me with PC problems. "Sorry, that's Vista, I still use XP!"

:p

too bad that DirectX 10 will only run on Vista.... that really blows...........

I myself am learning all about Linux in the hopes that I'll never have to worry about touching Vista (dont flame me... check my old posts, I'm was as big an MS zealot as you could get...)

I wanted to get Vista upon release, but aside from gaming, its really hard to justify when windows XP works so goddamn well and Linux just keeps getting better and better everyday.

For the average user vista holds new easier GUI.

For gamers it holds dx10

For users like me.. Holds nothing worth while.. I still use 2k. I play few games, I use opera, I use EFS for file searching.

OS is snappy.. however, anything to do with file transfers seems to be slower

external usb HDs and especially network transfers are a lot slower. I'll wait till SP1

mjz_5 said:
OS is snappy.. however, anything to do with file transfers seems to be slower

external usb HDs and especially network transfers are a lot slower. I'll wait till SP1

Always a wise idea, although I suspect the performance issue is more a driver issue than a Vista issue.

Josh_B said:
Always a wise idea, although I suspect the performance issue is more a driver issue than a Vista issue.

Actually the network performance issue has a very good chance of being a Vista issue since Vista is introducing a new network protocol to be running. Some have speculated that Vista will cause slower performance on the internet as a result of having both these networking protocols running.

While what I'm about to say is unsubstantiated and I can't prove it without a shadow of a doubt, here's an issue I seem to be having only while Vista is running:

I've got a new Core 2 Duo laptop, uses a Marvell Yukon PCIe onboard NIC connected to my D-Link DI-524 router with a standard piece of CAT5 15' long - the OS is Vista Home Premium at the moment but it's a dual boot with XP64.

The Wife's got a laptop, older one, running 2K3 (yeah, I know it's a server OS but what the hell, it's still the best OS Microsoft has made yet for sheer performance), with an older 3Com standard 3c905-compatible NIC hooked up to the same router with an identical piece of CAT5 15' long.

The router is attached through the WAN port to a Scientific American POS cable modem I got from Cox for $10 when I turned on my service. It works, and the rental is usually $10/month so I think I made out on that deal as a one time purchase and it's mine.

I currently pay for 6Mbps down/512Mbps up and for some idiotic reason they're actually giving me the "premium" speed of 10Mbps down/1Mbps up - I actually speedtest at 11 down most of the time and 1.5 up... go figure. I went from "prefered" to "premium" and back to "preferred" and the speed is apparently stuck on "premium" with the "preferred" price. Hey, I even called them TWICE to say I'm getting more speed than I'm paying for, they say "No you're not, you're on the 6Mbps plan..."

Most would say I'm a numbskull for mentioning it at all but the reasoning behind that is so months from now they don't get to call me or send me a bill saying "Due to an internal billing error, you've been stealing 4Mbps too much from us for <xxx> months, so now we're back-billing you for the additional cost. Thanks..." Not gonna let that happen so I have 2 calls clearly documented with them presently on my customer account so that shouldn't happen, but I can't be too careful. And I'm not gonna get caught stuck with that possible bill either... but anyway...

When I'm running XP64 on my laptop, we can go hours if not days without any connection issues whatsoever. I have the wireless disabled on the router; the UPnP is disabled; in fact it's basically set to just allow 2 or 3 ports of data: ident and DCC for IRC, and a uTorrent connection port. Other than that, everything the router offers to do for additional functionality is disabled.

So we can go hours, days without any single connection issue. But...

If I reboot and run Vista, we can't stay connected for more than 30-40 mins tops with a 1-5 min disconnect, over, and over, and over and over and over again.

Like I said, while I can't prove a damned thing, this disconnect thing only happens when Vista is running, like it just did as I was typing this posting - twice inside 20 mins for about 30 seconds the first time and ~2 mins the second time.

I've done some research and found issues from other people regarding the possible UPnP crap, hence me disabling it as a possible culprit - the disconnects happen regardless of the UPnP setting on the router.

Later today I'll be doing some testing and removing all the other protocols that Vista likes to stack on the stack, as it were. The IPv6, everything... in fact when I'm done, the Vista machine will have only the TCP/IP protocol with IPv4 support on the NIC - no sharing, no Client for Microsoft Networks, etc... just the most basic thing I can apply to the NIC's properties - and then I'll see what happens over time.

I'll report my findings here as the hunt continues for the solution to...

"The Case of the Unexplained Vista Disconnects..."

Stay tuned...

Oh, it goes without saying if anyone else has similar issues or gripes with the networking in Vista, do feel free to share...

bbz_Ghost said:
While what I'm about to say is unsubstantiated and I can't prove it without a shadow of a doubt, here's an issue I seem to be having only while Vista is running:

I've got a new Core 2 Duo laptop, uses a Marvell Yukon PCIe onboard NIC connected to my D-Link DI-524 router with a standard piece of CAT5 15' long - the OS is Vista Home Premium at the moment but it's a dual boot with XP64.

The Wife's got a laptop, older one, running 2K3 (yeah, I know it's a server OS but what the hell, it's still the best OS Microsoft has made yet for sheer performance), with an older 3Com standard 3c905-compatible NIC hooked up to the same router with an identical piece of CAT5 15' long.

The router is attached through the WAN port to a Scientific American POS cable modem I got from Cox for $10 when I turned on my service. It works, and the rental is usually $10/month so I think I made out on that deal as a one time purchase and it's mine.

I currently pay for 6Mbps down/512Mbps up and for some idiotic reason they're actually giving me the "premium" speed of 10Mbps down/1Mbps up - I actually speedtest at 11 down most of the time and 1.5 up... go figure. I went from "prefered" to "premium" and back to "preferred" and the speed is apparently stuck on "premium" with the "preferred" price. Hey, I even called them TWICE to say I'm getting more speed than I'm paying for, they say "No you're not, you're on the 6Mbps plan..."

Most would say I'm a numbskull for mentioning it at all but the reasoning behind that is so months from now they don't get to call me or send me a bill saying "Due to an internal billing error, you've been stealing 4Mbps too much from us for <xxx> months, so now we're back-billing you for the additional cost. Thanks..." Not gonna let that happen so I have 2 calls clearly documented with them presently on my customer account so that shouldn't happen, but I can't be too careful. And I'm not gonna get caught stuck with that possible bill either... but anyway...

When I'm running XP64 on my laptop, we can go hours if not days without any connection issues whatsoever. I have the wireless disabled on the router; the UPnP is disabled; in fact it's basically set to just allow 2 or 3 ports of data: ident and DCC for IRC, and a uTorrent connection port. Other than that, everything the router offers to do for additional functionality is disabled.

So we can go hours, days without any single connection issue. But...

If I reboot and run Vista, we can't stay connected for more than 30-40 mins tops with a 1-5 min disconnect, over, and over, and over and over and over again.

Like I said, while I can't prove a damned thing, this disconnect thing only happens when Vista is running, like it just did as I was typing this posting - twice inside 20 mins for about 30 seconds the first time and ~2 mins the second time.

I've done some research and found issues from other people regarding the possible UPnP crap, hence me disabling it as a possible culprit - the disconnects happen regardless of the UPnP setting on the router.

Later today I'll be doing some testing and removing all the other protocols that Vista likes to stack on the stack, as it were. The IPv6, everything... in fact when I'm done, the Vista machine will have only the TCP/IP protocol with IPv4 support on the NIC - no sharing, no Client for Microsoft Networks, etc... just the most basic thing I can apply to the NIC's properties - and then I'll see what happens over time.

I'll report my findings here as the hunt continues for the solution to...

"The Case of the Unexplained Vista Disconnects..."

Stay tuned...

Oh, it goes without saying if anyone else has similar issues or gripes with the networking in Vista, do feel free to share...

thats happening to a friend of mine also.

I have been running Vista Business for a few weeks on my work laptop and home PC. The work laptop has never seen a network disconnect as of yet. The home PC has not either. All I have is IPv6 disabled on both. I can say that yes file copying between client/server is a hair slower than XP was, or at least it seems slower. Web Surfing however is quicker.

Well I wiped the laptop and did a dual clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 last night. I left the laptop unplugged just to make sure I could get the NIC properties trimmed down to the bare minimums. The first install on the drive uses Vista Ultimate 64 with all the initial settings, etc; the second install is only different in one way:

and

I stripped out everything possible to narrow it down to the bare minimums for what could be wrong. I can't get rid of the IPv6 support in the stack so I just "disabled" it and only IPv4 is supported.

I booted into the full Vista Ultimate 64 (I'll call this A) and the same issues as mentioned above: disconnects at roughly 30-40 min intervals, lasting between 30 seconds and ~3 mins this time out.

That was over the course of about 2 hours of casual surfing.

Rebooted into the tweaked Vista Ultimate 64 (I'll call this B) and that's what I've been using for 7 hours now - not one disconnect.

Conclusive? Not necessarily. I think there could be some issues with all the crap Vista adds on to the network stack like the topology garbage most of us have absolutely zero use for, and IPv6 is still a long long ways off from serious adoption (meaning half the Internet to me... anything less than that and it simply doesn't matter because of IPv4's entrenchment which will last another decade probably).

Never has the disconnects under Ubuntu 32 bit or 64 bit with full driver support, nor XP Home, XP Pro, MCE2005, XP64, 2K3 32 and 64... just Vista, and Vista is the only one that adds all that topology crap onto the network stack...

I think that's the culprit, at least in my situation.

Back