Benches: Seagate SATA2 16mb vs. Western Digital SATA2 16mb

plac

Gawd
Benches: Seagate SATA2 16mb vs. Western Digital SATA2 16mb

Although the disks are different sizes (320gb vs 250gb), the data is a mirror image on each side. I was surprised at the nice results the Seagate gave me.

Seagate 320GB SATA2 16MB cache:

seagate320gb.jpg

Western Digital 250GB SATA2 16MB cache:

westerndigi250gb.jpg

Thats because the Seagate (7200.10 series I'm guessing) has PMR and it is slightly newer technology than the WD (SE16?).

The newer and bigger WD drives are pretty nice though, the 750GB one is I believe faster than the Seagate.

You should also take note your 7200.10 is the faster AAE firmware which is hard to come by, the AAK varients are much closer to the WD in speed. There are other firmware revisions but those two are the most noted.

Ah thanks for the info.

Both my Seagate are that same firmware. I finally decided to get a second seagate and theyre almost finished copying my OS over. Then I will do one final HD Tach test with the 2 Seagates striped to see how much it improves.

I think the Seagate is a lot faster, when comparing average read. The Seagate is 28% faster than the WD! 55mb vs 70mb

Comparing one single Seagate drive to two in a 128kb stripe off the Nforce controller.

Why did my burst drop so much in the RAID version? (I did remove the SATA 1 jumper from both drives)

seagate320gb.jpg

raidtest2.jpg

Back