Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router With USB WiFi Adaptor

sitalchauhan

Limp Gawd
As I currently do not have a wireless router and am getting fed up with the wires, I have deicded to get a wireless router. However, the distance from my living room on ground floor (where internet connection is) to my bedroom in the loft is quite far, so I am thinking of getting an n router instead of g as it apparently works better over large distances.
However, I would rather buy a cheaper router now and then get a much better one once the final n specification has been made.

I have done some research and the Belkin Pre-N seems to be the best value for money. Is this a good choice?

I want to get a USB wireless card for my laptop, and not PCMIA (so that I can use it in a desktop if needed). However, looking around I cannot find a belkin USB adaptor that is of the same 'pre-n' series as the router.

Therefore, please could somebody recommend a usb wifi that will work at n speeds (not g) and is compatiable with the Belkin Pre-N router?

Many thanks,
Sital

You will need to determine what the chipset is in the router like Atheros or whatever. Cnet did a test of about a half dozen pre-n router and inter-chipset compatibility was pretty much zero. D-Link has a pre-n router - I just bought the 655 model yesterday and they also have a pre-n usb adapter which I am going to buy. Don't know about the linksys though. Best right now to only use adapter the manufacturer recommends as 11.n is still in draft and there is no guaranteed compatibility with other devices.

Thanks for those replies, you just saved me from making a very big mistake :rolleyes:

I just did a quick search for the compatiability between different chipsets, and as you said, using different chipsets does not work very well if at all and is best avoided. However, there are very few routers with paired USB wifi sticks, most have matched PCI or PCMCIA.

I think I have discarded getting a .n router until the final specification comes out, so will probably get a decent .g router now.

I have just done extensive searching for the best wireless router, but I am getting conflicting views. Please could somebody recommend me a .g router with the following requirements?:

1) Needs to have a good range so can reach from ground floor into my loft bedroom

2) Needs to be easy to set up as this will be my first router, so I am very unsure about all the ports stuff yet.

3) It HAS to be VERY compatiable with bittorrent as bittorrent is often running on at least 2 computers in the network.

The 2 popular routers seem to be the Linksys WRT54G (easy to set up, but not very good with bittorrent apparently?) and the D-Link DGL-4300 (looks more advanced and hard to set up, but apparently best performance. Not sure about bittorrent compatiability though).

If anybody has a router that they are happy with that meets the 3 main point I require and they have no problem with bittorrent, I would be very grateful if you could post the model.

Many thanks for the help,
Sital

Back