Belkin KVM help

I am looking at a KVM for my rack. I have used a 4 port Belkin USB KVM and like it.

I am looking for an 8 port, rack mountable, KVM. My monitor is 1680x1050 and I will have 7 PC's on it. The PC's can be DVI or VGA, I don't care. I do like the USB though and don't want to use PS/2.
I am looking at this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394049

I like the price point and again, I don't mind the brand.

Can anyone give me advice on it or any other products that would be similar with a close price point?

My advice is to watch Ebay. Some very nice units are available for low prices. Just as a point of reference, I paid $140 for an 8 port 1u Triplite digital KVM along with 4 modules. The only real gotcha to watch out for is to make sure you get the right kind of module for the KVM. You may have to spend some time digging thru the listings and waiting for the right part tho.

If you want to splurge, look into a full fledged IPKVM but that's significantly more money.

Get an Avocent IP-KVM. Trust me you will never look back in regret. IP KVM all the way and get a switchable PDU with ethernet. You will never have to be at your rack again to reboot or do anything short of having to put a CD in the drive or upgrade the ram etc....

Get an Avocent IP-KVM. Trust me you will never look back in regret. IP KVM all the way and get a switchable PDU with ethernet. You will never have to be at your rack again to reboot or do anything short of having to put a CD in the drive or upgrade the ram etc....

Agreed, we have one at work and it is awesome. Most of our servers have built in SuperMicro IPMI, but a few that don't we use a Avocent IP-KVM. It is worth the cost.

If you really want IP-KVM but cheap you can do this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394021
You then plug that into your regular kvm switch into it. The IP-KVM can be configured to do custom scripts to change device, and do other keyboard shotcuts. Newegg is no longer selling them, but they are available on ebay or other sites.

For what it's worth, we have had two of those Belkin KVMs break.

I don't buy Belkin. I used to buy Belkin equip because they were cheap (thinking, how can you go wrong with a Belkin dumb switch or USB WiFi adapter) but after having at least a half-dozen break or fail, they lost my business years ago.

Back