Belink router needs exorcised

bob

2[H]4U
My belink router I purchased for $39.99 at walmart (with the sole intentions of using it only as an access point) has now become my primary router. My brother is sharing internet through 54g, im connected onto its 4-port switch. Things work fine for awhile till I try to do something. I cut back p2p to a max of 3 downloads. Today I was trying to play "TA Spring" while hosting a game, and my younger brother was playing counterstrike online.

What will happen, is the internet will stop working completley. I cant ping my ISPs gateway, cant ping google... cant ping anything. I restarted the router, didnt work. Restarted my pc, didnt work. I went into my brothers room, he was playing counterstrike online as if nothing happened.

So im really scratching my ass on this one. The only way I can get things going again, is by unplugging the router/ap, then plugging it back in again. All the while, my brothers PC is online just fine. Its as if the router was doing MAC address filtering. OK... I disabled my onboard ethernet, and had my 54g wifi card connect to the router/ap. Got its IP via DHCP...10.1.0.3... very good... "Ping google.com".... Nothing. Didnt even resolve the domain name.

the lid is off my router/ap now, none of the chips are getting hot. a few are mildly warm, but nothing else. Id easily jump to the conclusion that this router had some kind of memory leak, or was overwhelmed by browsing hardforum or hosting a game. But I cant say that, when my brother is still browsing the internet and playing online games with not a single complaint.

Now im about ready to run this thing over with my truck a few times. Before I do so, Im going to try a factory-reset. Anything else anyone can think of? I just cant think of why my computer would be dead for internet (I even reinstalled XP) yet my brothers is going great.

check all your cables and switches between you and the router, also try using different ports on the router and switches.

Xipher said:
check all your cables and switches between you and the router, also try using different ports on the router and switches.

I did all that well before I ripped the case apart on the router ;).

If you have P2P running after a router reset, that could be causing the issue.

Just to be sure, have you verified that your brother is connected to your router and not a neighbors? Meaning only you and your connection would go down? Have you rebooted the modem itself? I usually unplug both router and modem, turn router back on after 30 seconds. Turn modem on after another 30 seconds. Then if everything isn't right yet, give the router one more power cycle to get everything running.

The router ran for a good 20 hours after I restored factory defaults on the thing. It just died about an hour ago, and I had to unplug the router from the power, and plug it back in. And as usual, my brother was playing counterstrike online just fine with no problems. Heres my network diagram

moetop said:
Do you get an Ip and can you ping yourself?

I can get an IP via DHCP, I can ping myself, I can ping the router, I can ping my brothers computer, but I cant ping my wifi bridge.

xxaaqq said:
Just to be sure, have you verified that your brother is connected to your router and not a neighbors? Meaning only you and your connection would go down? Have you rebooted the modem itself? I usually unplug both router and modem, turn router back on after 30 seconds. Turn modem on after another 30 seconds. Then if everything isn't right yet, give the router one more power cycle to get everything running.

Yes, my AP/router is the only thing around here with wifi that he could possibly be connecting to. I can verify he is connected on my network by pinging his computer. My router is getting an IP via DHCP on the WAN port from the wifi bridge, and I know for sure its working if someone can play an online game.

I just cant understand how my computer would be locked out from any kind of interent access, yet someone elses goes along fine. I dont think it has anything to do with windows itself, because restarting my PC doesnt do a darn thing. :confused:

Back