Behold Teraractyl! X58 H2O in a 4U 19" rack

Awesome work. I've got 4 old IBM Netfinity 5000's in my closet that I can't give away ( Dual P3's)
Might be neat to do something similar with them.

:)

Wow, nice. Certainly a very interesting way to make use of a 4U case. I got a few myself collecting dust, from server upgrades from 4U --> 1U/2U.

Sweet mod jojo, love the metal work - precision is the new hot, am I right?

Looks like you've got a pretty sweet setup as well, keep it up!

Well, I promised water, and now what with being recognized by the editors and all...I better jolly well deliver water hadn't I?

got it running 192x22 for 4.23GHz, crashed out at 194, 100% load = 65C, Vcore set at 1.4something, droops to 1.35. Ran into the memory around 200 BCLK with the CPU multi at 21.

I'm all new to this moderne type stuff, but this seems on par with what other folks are getting...so far so good.

LOL! my new wu is worth 1338 points...that's like leet plus one.

are you going to WC the gpus? that seems like a lot of rad space for a single cpu loop. :)

looks killer good job and im with theother guy your not going to get those gpus on the same loops hehe

yeah it seems overkill for just a cpu, but not enough for 2 6950s, so thats why i was wondering. guess itll just be a really cool cpu. :)

A couple points.

While I admit that I have no previous experience watercooling, I do believe it would be possible to cool the VGA situation on this loop. A lot of people are hung up on having their coolant near ambient. Would the coolant be hot?...well yes. Would it beat stock coolers, probably.

I stated above that it is my hope that this chassis will last several upgrades in silicon. Current video hardware is hot hot hot, this may not always be the case.

I may run into my NB temp limit with the current setup, particularly if I can get this RAM to go a bit faster. If so, I have capacity in the loop to put the MOBO under water.

The way it is now, I can push VCore pretty hard and control temps with the fans barely moving. I can see the blades on the front panel fans as I type...looks pretty cool.

Another angle for the eyes

yeah! you should put the GPUs in the loop and see what happens! :)

If I was made out of $ I would, believe me.

As it is I expect that someday I will be running a 2nd hand gulftown hex I scored off ebay for $20 and a set of 8990s under water and people will be laughing at me for keeping this obsolete power hungry piece of shit running still.

I ran a i5 760 and gtx 570 on a single black ice sr1 120.1 rad and had good temps (with 800rpm scythe GTs in push/pull even)
So I think you definitely have the thermal headroom to add those cards.
you can do it on a budget too. Just find some universal (gpu core) blocks, you can pick them up used for super cheap. and then buy some heatsinks for the mem/vreg
Id say you could put both those cards on water for less than $100 easy

Why thank you.

I was actually going to update soon as I am planning to get going on a matching 2u UPC for it over the yuletide. I have one of the boxy APC 1500s in an ugly beige hooked to it right now just screaming to be modded.

Just ran across this build, looks nice! I really like the fan blades too. Can't wait for the update :) That is cool you have your own CNC too!

Gee, thanks guys...

guess I better get off my ass and deliver on the matching UPS project huh?

Back