Beginning of Project Nubcase

Well my case is a much hated pre-mod window case and well, its very plain. I look to mod this thing so i can have it look unique and much better than before. This is my case...
pic5.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic2_100.jpg

untitled_900.jpg

So any and all suggestions to do to this case please let me know. I plan on cutting a hole on top of the case so u can see straight down, as well as i cleaned out the wires right after i took those pix. I plan on also cutting a 80mm hole so i can stick a grill onto the front door that covers the optical drives with a red led behind it. Those are the ideas for now, and any and all other ideas are welcome. Thanks

boy you have a lot of PCI gear in there, can i get a better shot of the top, i can't tell if it's a built in grill or a fan grill over a hole.

That isn't PCI gear that is in the clutter, it's the hard-drives and things of that nature.

Get your power supply sleeved and do some ide cable origami? Or rounded cables work too.

yes yes cable work i plan on working on that, prolly sleeve the psu but any other ideas, im talking original and unusual, i want my case to stand out, if u think the obvious, i prolly have thought of it

Originally posted by stumpy
Do something with the front panel.

Right, read the original post, most of u guys havent read it closely enough, i stated both the fact taht i recognize the wiring job and front panel, but needed other suggestions, no flaming intented but please pay atteniton thanks, now keep the suggestions coming, the sleeving of psu is good idea!

put all of the wires under the mobo and get a new cpu cooler

before you do anything hide all of your wires since it looks like shit

then lose all un needed pci crap. i see video, fan?, sb, and something?. and if you have the usb/fire wire thing that came with your abit take it out and just use the ports on the back. i think you have an ai7 right?

and if you have a fan controler drill holes to the right space area of the case and put the wiring there

if you are into lights and stuff you can get uv reactive paint and paint the nb cooler and the get a gel pens and color the traces on your video card/mb/ or sb

also you could get a water cooling setup going too

instead of making it flashy, first you should get it all neat and clean for better air flow.

Originally posted by quiksilverx181
i cleaned out the wires right after i took those pix.

I find it funny that people always seem to clean up their wires right after they take pics. :rolleyes:

Some good suggestions offered here, but ultimately the best case mods are things you come up with on your own... I generally give the most props for originality, as do many others. :cool:

Originally posted by thebro
put all of the wires under the mobo and get a new cpu cooler

before you do anything hide all of your wires since it looks like shit

then lose all un needed pci crap. i see video, fan?, sb, and something?. and if you have the usb/fire wire thing that came with your abit take it out and just use the ports on the back. i think you have an ai7 right?

and if you have a fan controler drill holes to the right space area of the case and put the wiring there

if you are into lights and stuff you can get uv reactive paint and paint the nb cooler and the get a gel pens and color the traces on your video card/mb/ or sb

also you could get a water cooling setup going too

instead of making it flashy, first you should get it all neat and clean for better air flow.
Originally posted by waddles
I find it funny that people always seem to clean up their wires right after they take pics. :rolleyes:

Some good suggestions offered here, but ultimately the best case mods are things you come up with on your own... I generally give the most props for originality, as do many others. :cool:

yes yes both very useful peices of info, i prolly will have to re-do my wires since it wanst the greatest job even after i re-did it. I would defianetly have to go out and grab some of those wires that come pre-sleeved that will help out, and then grab some uv paint and paint!

Well i need to get a fan grill that has the unreal tournament symbol. Do u guys know any reliable places that can get it here fairly quickly that sells those puppies online or off?

You could put a subwoofer on the bottom of that front panel. Sure, your case will weigh a ton, but that's a few fewer wires outside your computer to wade through.

Originally posted by Teancum
You could put a subwoofer on the bottom of that front panel. Sure, your case will weigh a ton, but that's a few fewer wires outside your computer to wade through.

my subwoofer is much too big and heavy for that... plus i LAN i dont wanna lug that thing around

Hmm i gotta make this post an update. Ok a couple questions now. I taped up my computer marking where i guess i want to cut the hole out on top. Now heres the questions. I marked it and took pictures, and i want u guys to suggest how big i mount the window, size etc. i drew 2 lines on each side, each one representing where the window COULD go to. Also, I took some pictures of the front door so u guys can get a good look at it. I need suggestions also as to how i should go about cutting the window as well as if i should use http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293589&pfp=srch1 as my window cutter. Frankly im working on a 20 dollar budget and i need to use some inginuity to get this puppy going. So as i promised, here are the pix with more to come
roflsauce_006_842.jpg

if u havent already gotten the compusa thing, i have a suggestion..: use a jigsaw(most people have one so no money there...if u dont have one, borrow one from a friend) get a metal cutting blade, and use that...i do it, and it works SO well, and gives kickass cuts :)

before i cut the top of my case, i know i should take everything out but im way too lazy for that, plus i have a hard time with it. So.... is there any way to just take off the top panel? i wouldnt know but from the pix can u guys tell at all? thanks

drill out the nubs and when your done screws or nut and bolts

use tht jig saw, i got an OLDDDDDDDDDD one and it works great...i would reccomend to take ur junk outta the case...and if u have a spare case, practice ur mod on that case first...

Originally posted by boardsportsrule
use tht jig saw, i got an OLDDDDDDDDDD one and it works great...i would reccomend to take ur junk outta the case...and if u have a spare case, practice ur mod on that case first...
hmm i do have an old dell case, altho its completely useless as the mobo for that one was propriety so i guess i can practice on that one

Update!!!
I finally got around to molding the plexi in the oven. I first cut the plexi with a very hot knife, then stuck each peice in the oven. 10 minutes later, i stuck them onto my case door and used it as a mold. And the end results here!
interesting_001.jpg

interesting_002.jpg

interesting_003.jpg

interesting_004.jpg

interesting_005.jpg

Ok, now the second part. I have a question about this. I have not yet attached the plexi to the door for 1 reason: you know how i explained in the very first post that i was planning on making a hole so that i can put a fan grill on top of it right in the middle of the door? Well, should i do that before or after i attach the plexi? I wont get my grill for another 5-7 days (its in the mail). Suggestions?

1) GET A NEW DIG CAM! I CANNOT SEE WHAT IS WHAT?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) i think i like what i seee, but i dunno what i see :)

yes, problem is, my sister wont let me use hers so i gotta make due.... or would u rather there be no pix? thats the best i can do

*I would rather there be no pics...

seriously though, that plexi looks really screwed up from those pics

i made depth to the plexi, plexi is how it should be, u just see the edges which no one will ever see, im planning on sanding those then gluing those edges to the back of the door, from the front it looks good to me

EDIT: btw this is my first ever mod to anything computer, so please grade easier im a complete newbie to this modding stuff

Back