Beginners guide to PHP-Nuke?

Streyeder

Cornflake Pisser
Is there a good site for noobs like me to PHP-Nuke? I need an outline of what to do after it's installed, lol. It's my first time ever using a content management system and I feel overwhelmed.

You might want to reconsider PHPNuke - it's not exactly the most secure CMS out there. I'm on some security mailing lists and I see multiple vulnerabilities for it every week.

The worst part, however, is that, while it's still "open-source" they don't actually release the bug-fixes unless you're a paid member of their club.

PHP-Nuke is a nightmare. Straight out of the proverbial box it can be broken.

The best plan would be to first, evaluate what you need in your CMS. For example, while everyone wants forums, very few website creators generate enough traffic to make them worthwhile. Second, find a CMS with the things you NEED. Do research on the security and useability of the CMS, then pick a winner and install.

For example, while I tried PHP-Nuke and it let me do what I wanted, I had to fix it the moment I tried to install it, then it wouldn't use friendly URLs so Google wouldn't index me, and finally, it had about 12 features that I didn't need for every 1 that I did. Every feature you don't need is a security vuln.

So I switched to Mambo, and I've been happy. Much cleaner, faster, and easier to use IMHO.

Anything-Nuke is pretty much the devil, so if you are just starting out, start with something smaller and smarter, like MoveableType, Mambo, or any of the other dozens out there.

BC

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking into other systems as I type...

Back