Beginner digital video...

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok so I decided it's time to save up and grab myself a digital video camera. My roommate and I would like to start making some short films but we have no idea where to start. If anyone could guide me to a camera and software to edit and do things with that would be great.

We would most likely be using this camera outdoors. We won't necessarily be needing incredible sound because most of the films will be accompanied my music. Anything else you need to know about what I need just ask. Thanks in advance!

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=870352

Go read my recommendations in there, because I'm too lazy to type them all out again here. :p

The Elura 65 is a great camcorder, it's very stylish, has excellent video quality, and is nice and lightweight. I got mine for just $400 at B & H Photo and Video Link

For the software, you'll want Pinnacle Studio AV/DV It's $90 and comes with everything you need to transfer video to your computer.

You need a big hard drive. 1 hour of video from a digital video camera is 14GB!! :eek:

Just a few notes - Do not, I say again, do NOT use USB to transfer video to your computer. The video will be choppy and somewhat fuzzy. If you do get Pinnacle AV/DV, you will have a firewire cable and a firewire port on the included PCI card. USE IT!

Have you ever seen the film "28 Days Later"? Believe it or not, that was all shot on a MiniDV camcorder and imported over a firewire port. You can do great things with a video camera and a good editing system. If you have any questions about filming and editing techniques, feel free to e-mail me or IM me. I've been making short films for years, and I'm glad to help.

Awesome reply...

Anyway. I would like as cheap as possible but I could consider a max of about $600. So the camcorder you mentioned would fit well. I just thought about getting into this so you may regret offering up your advice, as I may bombard you once I get started. :)

Along with the Elura 65, you should really get a screw-on UV filter for it (scroll down on the link I gave you for the Elura 65). It screws onto the front and it blocks out certain ultraviolet rays, which will in turn allow you to film through haze and get a more clear picture overall. And besides, if something hard falls on the front of the camera or the camera falls front-first onto something hard, which would you rather have break? A $30 filter that you can throw away and replace; or the camera lens, which is an integral part of the camcorder and costs several hundred dollars to have professionally replaced? Yeah, I thought so.

I really don't mind helping you out; like I said, if you have any questions at all about film making just contact me.

Back