Before I upgrade...

///AMG

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
3,887
I dont need to upgrade, everything works fine and is still just as fast but I am just having that itch. I want to know if anything new will be released in the next 3-6 months and is it worth waiting for? I havent upgraded in 2 years or so and havent been looking so much so I am out of it.
 
If you're wanting to go 2011 it's probably worth it to wait as IB-E should be out in that timeframe otherwise haswell is probably more in the 6-9 month timeframe. Might want to wait for the next batch of GPUs since it's a pretty safe bet that 3-6 months is a good estimate on them. But if you're going to wait that long then maybe haswell is worth the wait, depends on how itchy you are. If you're actually good at saving money might be worth waiting, always more fun to make that ultimate bad ass dream system than a moderate upgrade just to scratch a mild itch.
 
Based on past history and our record for trying to release new products about once a year I would say that there is a very good chance that we'll have something new out in that time frame.
 
Based on past history and our record for trying to release new products about once a year I would say that there is a very good chance that we'll have something new out in that time frame.

Thank you. I will wait then. I will probably splurge huge on this next upgrade since I have a job these days and am not in college. Probably getting the 2011's unless thats getting replaced, and if it is I will probably get the replacement. Because you know, you can never have enough RAM lol, seriously I have 24GBs in my x59 system right now and I want moar!
 
Based on past history and our record for trying to release new products about once a year I would say that there is a very good chance that we'll have something new out in that time frame.

For LGA 2011?

As reported previously, the delay of Intel Corp.'s code-named "Ivy Bridge" microprocessor has apparently caused massive shift in the chipmaker's roadmap. The world's largest chipmaker will not release enthusiast-class "Ivy Bridge-E" central processing unit (CPU) in 2012 and will only unveil such chips in Q3 2013. What is interesting is that Intel’s Ivy Bridge-E/EP microprocessors will contain up to twelve x86 cores, which may result in the increase of core number inside Core Extreme products to eight or even ten.
Given the fact that Intel's enthusiast-class platforms cannot be challenged by its arch-rival Advanced Micro Devices these days, the release of the new Core i7 Extreme chip is rather a formality than an important event for the :source
Other talk

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012110102_Features_of_Ivy_Bridge-E_processors.html


EDIT:


This makes me say....why wait? Build an LGA2011 system now and slap a new CPU in it when they come out (shrugs).
Ivy Bridge-E processors will be compatible with X79 chipset. Currently, we don't have information on clock speeds and individual SKU features. Please note that posted above specifications are preliminary, and they may change
 
Last edited:
For LGA 2011?

Other talk

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012110102_Features_of_Ivy_Bridge-E_processors.html


EDIT:


This makes me say....why wait? Build an LGA2011 system now and slap a new CPU in it when they come out (shrugs).

If this is true and its Q3 2013. I might just get the 3820 instead of a K proc and wait till the IB-E comes out. I really want to try an Extreme proc now that I can afford it. When I was younger and in college I always said to myself that I would buy one when I could afford it, now I can but I dont want to spend 1k on an extreme proc that will be heavily outdated in 6-9 months.
 
If this is true and its Q3 2013. I might just get the 3820 instead of a K proc and wait till the IB-E comes out. I really want to try an Extreme proc now that I can afford it. When I was younger and in college I always said to myself that I would buy one when I could afford it, now I can but I dont want to spend 1k on an extreme proc that will be heavily outdated in 6-9 months.

$570 is extreme enough OC'd. Once IB-E comes out, it can be sold. Win-Win (shrugs).
 
My question is whats the resale value after IB-E? I dont think the 3820 a 230 will lose more than $50 while I am thinking the 3930K will lose probably 100-150? I dont want to lose much as currently I dont need to upgrade I just have an itch. But I also really want an Extreme ed proc since it was a big goal of mine to have one when I can.
 
But I also really want an Extreme ed proc since it was a big goal of mine to have one when I can.

I bought an Extreme 6core, 2011 Xeon ES for like $300, thinking that I would play with it until IB-E came out, man, I am loving this X79+32GB of ram, with enough room for another 32 (completely pointless off course)

But sometimes, a quad just isnt enough to get rid of that itch!
 
Back
Top