• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Before I pull the trigger, any last minute changes I should make?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 1778
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1778

Guest
Heres what I've decided on.

Motherboard: Epox 9NPA+ Ultra

Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice)

Memory: Patriot 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PDC1G3200+XBLK - Retail

Video Card: MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E (Lite) Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card White Box - OEM
 
i just built mine and got 2g of ram. depends on your use but if you game i'd suggest 2x1g sticks.
 
Can't afford 2 gigs right now. Maybe next paycheck...
 
Maybe go for a GT and use the $$ towards that extra gig? The difference between 1 and 2 gigs > than the difference between GT and GTX (especially if you OC that GT.) Ask anyone who plays F.E.A.R. or BF2 and they will agree; I think this is a trend that will continue to become more and more apparent in newer games.
 
What if I drop from the GTX to GT and see if I can squeeze an SLI motherboard in there along with the extra RAM. Still got a little leeway in my budget and I suppose I could go for some cheaper RAM.....
 
Don't misunderstand me, more RAM always helps, but cheaper RAM is never a good idea. If it comes down to it, just wait a little while - you wont be doing yourself a favor if you cut corners on something as important as system memory. I still stand by my first suggestion: GT + 2gb. If you think you can manage, though, SLI might save you some $$ a ways down the road (second GT < whatever new cards are out at that time). I guess my point is that it would be better to wait for your next check and get a future proof system then to sell yourself short just to get the stuff sooner. Hell, wait for your next check and get SLI, GTX, and 2 gigs! :) You'll be thanking yourself in a year.

Good luck!
 
any reason in particular why you chose the epox mobo? take advantage of your venice chip and get a dfi lanparty ultra-d
 
aldy402 said:
any reason in particular why you chose the epox mobo? take advantage of your venice chip and get a dfi lanparty ultra-d

I chose it based on a few reviews/roundups of NF4 Ultra boards I read.

Care to elaborate on how I would not be taking advantage of the Venice chip by getting the Epox instead of the DFI?
 
I think he is insinuating that the DFI is a better board for overclocking, which is probably true, and that since the Venice is such an overclockable core you should pair it with a mb that can OC. After reading this review, however, it looks as though the Epox board OCs just fine unless you want to get really extreme:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzQ4LDE=
 
I did really extreme a long time ago. (old Celeron 600 @ 1133 with a watercooled peltier) It's too much trouble to mess with.

What would you recommend for a possible SLI board instead of the Ultra?
 
If you are going to go SLI I'd recomend the Asus SLI Deluxe. It retails for ~$165, which is a really good price for that board.
 
I really need to stop changing my damned mind and buy the stuff already.

1 ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe

Video Cards & Related Devices
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 Albatron 7800GT Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 7800GT

Memory - System
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail
Model #: OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K

Processors
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail

And I'll get the other gig of RAM later.
 
by getting 4 512 sticks(that seems to be your plan) you might run into a problem running your memory at 1T. look at the board you want and make sure you don't have to run 2T. you can run 1T with the 1 gig sticks though.
 
JeffD78 said:
I really need to stop changing my damned mind and buy the stuff already.

1 ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: A8N-SLI Deluxe

Video Cards & Related Devices
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 Albatron 7800GT Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 7800GT

Memory - System
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail
Model #: OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K

Processors
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail

And I'll get the other gig of RAM later.

much better, although I would pay a little extra for a 7800GT from BFG or EVGA just because of the quality of their boards and the LIFETIME WARRANTY. Video cards these days def. need the safegaurds of a lifelong warranty.
 
Back
Top