Before I break the seal on my Windows 7 Upgrade..

plac

Gawd
Before I break the seal on my Windows 7 Upgrade I just bought at Best Buy an hour ago, I want to make sure I can use it. I wanted Ultimate Upgrade but they were out of stock.

I have been sitting on my OCZ Agility 120GB SSD drive for weeks and dying to try it.

So I have WinXP SP3. I dont care about a true upgrade. I have been building my own PCs for 15 years and know how to back up a "pics" and "MP3" folder.

The main question: Can I install this version on my blank SSD drive? Or do I have to first install XP on my new SSD and then install this Win 7 on top of it?

Thanks for any info.

You can install it on your blank SSD drive with nothing on it. You don't even have to partition and format it. The installer does this for you.

Now, everyone says that the 7 Upgrade disc won't activate an upgrade key with a clean install but I did it myself for someone a week ago by just typing the key in during installation then activating once I hit the desktop.

If it for some reason doesn't work, just do the following

Open cmd prompt with admin credentials and type

slmgr /ipk <product key>

No <>. Then type ...

slmgr /ato

Just want to let you know that didn't work for me (zeroed hard drive).

I had to do a second clean install and then activated in Windows.

It worked, but just took an extra half-hour. No big deal.

DOOD it wont take my activation key. Says its invalid. Brand new sealed box..

I cant get to command box cuz i cant even get to desktop..

Just want to let you know that didn't work for me (zeroed hard drive).

I had to do a second clean install and then activated in Windows.

It worked, but just took an extra half-hour. No big deal.

so when you reinstalled again.. did you install in the next partition since the first 100MB partition said "system reserved" or did you delete the partitions and just install it again with a different result?

so when you reinstalled again.. did you install in the next partition since the first 100MB partition said "system reserved" or did you delete the partitions and just install it again with a different result?

i can answer this now that i just did it.

i deleted all partitions and installed on a completely blank disk a second time.

this time, it took the key. no idea why. now i can at least get to desktop.

this is a test install on my Thinkpad T61 laptop with SSD. I will not activate this here, and will instead move my SSD disk to my gaming PC and then start over again.

The reason i didnt do the PC first is i have no mounting brackets for the drive into my Velociraptor-sized slots??? If there are no moving parts in the SSD can't i just use a thick 3M sticky strip and put it on bottom of case?

I'm on the new SSD on Win 7 now. I just found out HD Tach doesnt work on Win 7.

I'm on the new SSD on Win 7 now. I just found out HD Tach doesnt work on Win 7.

I have no problems with it on Windows 7 Professional. Might wanna try running it as administrator and/or compatibility settings if it doesn't work.

Back