Before I break another board....

Cypher-

[H]ard|Gawd
What I'm working with:
Q6600
Corsair 2x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Abit IP35 Pro
Koolance watercooling (yes I'm aware it isn't the best. I didn't do my research before I got it but its getting the job done)

Backstory:
Originally I had a p5b deluxe running an E6600 @ 3.2ghz for almost a year. I upgraded to a Q6600 and started overclocking that as well. I was trying to push it to 3.6ghz and the computer decided to lock up in the bios. I smelled a nice burning smell and the board failed to boot after that. Everything turned on but the screen stayed black and would not post at all.

Being that I didn't have much money I decided to replace it with a Gigabyte DS3R. I put the board in and had my Q6600 running completely stable at 3.33ghz (370x9). I was happy with it there and didn't plan to change it.

One day I was playing Call of Duty 4 and there was a loud pop from my speakers and my sound was gone. I quit the game and was playing with the sound options and I got a BSOD and a reboot. The board also went back to normal clock settings. I checked my speakers and my sound card in another computer and everything checked out ok. Upon trying to overclock the board again I found that no matter what I set the vcore to in the bios, it would never actually go past 1.264 according to the bios or CPU-Z. I don't know if that was the source of my sound problems or if the PCI ports just decided to go out.

I really don't think I did anything wrong with the last two and I think I have a serious case of bad luck, but before I overclock this board I just want to make sure theres not anything I'm missing. I've read that these boards can have a problem where the heatsink doesn't make contact with the chips so I'm prepared to deal with that. Is there anything else I should watch out for? I would seriously rather drag this thing into a field and set on fire then have to replace the board again.

Any advice/tips/info would be greatly appreciated.

Antec True power 550 Watt.

It had crossed my mind that the power supply may be causing some issues. The first time it went in was when I put in my Q6600 too. I had one go bad on me a long time ago (low voltage on one of the rails) so I RMA'd it to Antec and they sent a brand new one back. I bought an Antec 480 watt as a replacement, but that is now in another box with my old E6600.

Just for reference the rest of the case contains:
Geforce 7900GS
4 Hard drives
1 sata dvd burner
X-fi Fatal1ty Champion

Back