Been out of the loop for a while, have a couple quick questions:

The Wayfarer

Weaksauce
I've been out of the loop for a while now, and I need a couple tips about memory selection for the new system I'm building (my first non-notebook in AGES):

P5B Deluxe (WiFi/AP)
e6400
EVGA 8800GTS
2x1GB PC-6400 (or better), make/model undecided (hence this thread! :))

The only app I'll be running consistently that will put heavy strain on the machine is Oblivion (with Cedega, on Slackware, if the performance is acceptable). Therefore, I'll be OC'ing (of course) so I have no intention to skimp on the RAM. I have done some research both here, and from various other Google-produced resources, and I see that Micron is producing the current best chips; and that has narrowed down my options. However, there's a few pieces of info that have somehow eluded my search:

1. I have no idea what chip part numbers to look for. I'm seeing mentions of "D9" and "C4D" and such in the forums, but some of these posts are a bit old. Are these still the current fastest ICs? Or are there others I should be looking for?
EDIT: Somehow I didn't find the answer to this question before I posted. :(

2. How can I know which make/models have the good ICs? This info doesn't seem to be available on OEM websites, and googling has turned up little about current products. Is there a CURRENT database with this info somewhere, hiding from my searching? (I've been a Corsair (note)* for years, but it seems there's been something of a fiasco with this lately...?)

3. Are there any particular modules that are known for having primo ICs, but lower price tags? I am not wont to skimp on a component that has as huge an influence on a system's OC potential as it's memory, but I'm not made of money, and I have a hard time justifying, say, $700 for a Corsair PC-8888 kit.

4. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the guidance.

-Wayfarer

*(edit 1): WTF? I can't use the word "f a n b o i"? Are you shitting** me?

**(edit 2): I can use the word "shitting," but "F A N B O I" is censored?! OMG, I think my head is going to explode....

Back