Been awhile nice to be back Dell SC420 server question

Blackrain

Limp Gawd
I just purchased Dell SC420 deal 2.5 celery 80 gig hd 256 ram.

My scenario is basically to retire my old server boxes probably make them folding machines. The thing is SC420 has no extra IDE controller so the only way to have a RAID setup is to purchase SATA drives or purchase an IDE card. I already purchased 2 120 gig hard drive for my windows media center PC so I can store my music. (most important data). My question is should I keep my music on the server windows 2003 or keep it on windows media center pc.

2003 is for security purposes and better support options on the other hand Windows Media Center is just made to be a jukebox for all your media.

I am kind of confused at the moment.

Any suggestions?

I would buy an IDE card and keep the data on the SC420. Hopefully you have a wired connection between the server and the media center, in which case streaming the music wouldn't be a problem. I say this because wireless connections can be a little touchy at times.

Thanks for the suggestion! I probably can purchase the el cheapo fasttrak 100 raid 0+1 card for like 20 bucks. The only issue is that I use wireless between the Media Center PC and the servers.

i have wireless on my crappy p2-266 laptop streaming music from my main desktop, 256 and up encoding and i have no skips, this is 802.11b btw

What about video, fknguy? Anytime you are streaming A/V files a wired connection is perfered.

Remember, team 33.

Video as of yet hasnt given me a huge problem, but its mainly been pr0n streaming to my bigscreen!!! lol j/k

its not 'bad' but it does hiccup on the slow laptop...all processor related though, too slow for its own good. Now my friend's alienware, running a wireless 54g card, has enough power to actually process the video at the correct FPS and seems to work ok... As long as there is no interference and you have a good signal then you should be good both audio and video

This sounds promising and personally I was leaning toward using the sc420 to keep all my multi media data and have it streamed over to the media center pc. This sounds like what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

Back