Becoming an Exchange Server master!

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I am spending the weekend learning Exchange 2010. I am halfway through the Train Signal Exchange 2010 video series and it has been great. I am learning a lot and feel like Exchange and how it works is no longer a mystery! I already created my domain, prepped it and installed Exchange 2010 without any trouble. I have two Windows 7 PRO VM's with Office 2010 o test everything with.

CN88c.jpg

After Xmas I want to do this with sbs2010 I'd like to buy a domain and learn it. I know nothing about exchange, and I have a legit copy of sbs.

what is your impressions of the train signal videos? i am thinking about picking up a course or two.

Does sbs give you thr same look and feel of the real thing. We had sbs when I first started this job we had ebs and it just wasn't the same for me.

I am spending the weekend learning Exchange 2010. I am halfway through the Train Signal Exchange 2010 video series and it has been great. I am learning a lot and feel like Exchange and how it works is no longer a mystery! I already created my domain, prepped it and installed Exchange 2010 without any trouble. I have two Windows 7 PRO VM's with Office 2010 o test everything with.

Exchange Master eh? Wait until something breaks.........:p

Exchange Master eh? Wait until something breaks.........:p

Haha, yeah.... It's a real pain when something does break. It's awesome when it just works how it's supposed to.

As for SBS, for the most part you don't even need to use the system console for Exchange. You use the main SBS console to deal with users, etc. Especially with 2011. You can still use the ESM though (I do.)

Glad you like the Trainsignal videos. They are great people...good courses. Just finished a Cisco UCS Implementation course for them.

After Xmas I want to do this with sbs2010 I'd like to buy a domain and learn it. I know nothing about exchange, and I have a legit copy of sbs.

Well SBS won't help you install it since it does everything itself during installation.

what is your impressions of the train signal videos? i am thinking about picking up a course or two.

They are awsome. Well layed out and cover everything. I think I am going to do the VMware View series also.

Does sbs give you thr same look and feel of the real thing. We had sbs when I first started this job we had ebs and it just wasn't the same for me.

SBS is the same as far as management goes. you can still administer the Exchange server itself using the Exchange Management Console. But if you want to learn how to prep your domain and schema then install Exchange yourself SBS is no good as it installs everything during the SBS installation.

Glad you like the Trainsignal videos. They are great people...good courses. Just finished a Cisco UCS Implementation course for them.

Do you have a outline for that?

What do you know about the VMware View series? I want to learn the VDI stuff but know nothing about it so i was wondering if that series would be good.

Hey Exchange gurus I got a question for my lab here.

How can i use an external hostname for email if the internal domain is different.

Like i use homelab.com for my internal domain and have a different hostname registered with godaddy that I want to use for the email address and OWA etc...

You'll want a static IP if you are doing any mail hosting. It probably won't work at all on a dynamic IP. Dynamic IPs usually always end up on blacklists or are blocked off the bat because they are from a known dynamic IP range. That and the ISP may block ports 25, 110, 143, 587 etc on accounts with dynamic.

You'll want a static IP if you are doing any mail hosting. It probably won't work at all on a dynamic IP. Dynamic IPs usually always end up on blacklists or are blocked off the bat because they are from a known dynamic IP range. That and the ISP may block ports 25, 110, 143, 587 etc on accounts with dynamic.

I have been through this before. You just use no-ip account. http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

I am just asking how you can use a different hostname for email than your internal domain name?

I have been through this before. You just use no-ip account. http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html

I am just asking how you can use a different hostname for email than your internal domain name?

I don't really see how that would work any different... it's still going to resolve to a dynamic IP address...

You need to set your accepted domain and recipient address policy for the users to your external domain. Also make the external email address the primary address for the users.

I don't really see how that would work any different... it's still going to resolve to a dynamic IP address...

You need to set your accepted domain and recipient address policy for the users to your external domain. Also make the external email address the primary address for the users.

I am confused because if i select a users mailbox it says the SMTP address is that of my internal domain name.

BTW i just looked on google and FIOS does block port 25. Since I have an actuak hostname with godaddy can i just change SMTP to use a different port? I used no-ip long ago when i did not have a hostname registered.

587 is another port for SMTP. Is that blocked as well?

I can't tell you for sure how to change the stuff you need to, I'm not in front of the console and I don't have it memorized. I'll see if I can dig something up.

I am confused because if i select a users mailbox it says the SMTP address is that of my internal domain name.

BTW i just looked on google and FIOS does block port 25. Since I have an actuak hostname with godaddy can i just change SMTP to use a different port? I used no-ip long ago when i did not have a hostname registered.

What he's referring to is the anti-spam techniques for those receiving your email. One of the most common techniques is the use of DNS Reverse block list. That washes the IP of the incoming server against a DNS server configured with the IPs of known spammers as well as most of them also consider Dynamic IP Ranges as infected home PC's spamming the crap out of the world.

So it doesn't matter if you have a dynamic DNS host name point to your Dynamic IP, It's still a Dynamic IP. And trying to use it as an email server will be an uphill fight at best.

So... Does FIOS have a business package that you can get instead, maybe one that doesn't port block?

What he's referring to is the anti-spam techniques for those receiving your email. One of the most common techniques is the use of DNS Reverse block list. That washes the IP of the incoming server against a DNS server configured with the IPs of known spammers as well as most of them also consider Dynamic IP Ranges as infected home PC's spamming the crap out of the world.

So it doesn't matter if you have a dynamic DNS host name point to your Dynamic IP, It's still a Dynamic IP. And trying to use it as an email server will be an uphill fight at best.

So... Does FIOS have a business package that you can get instead, maybe one that doesn't port block?

I am not buying a business package. I just want to set this up to go along with he training videos.

You can't run an SMTP server on a residential connection these days. Ports are blocked and people do reverse-DNS and find your in that range and they filter you. No way around it. You can't just change the port on SMTP or no one will connect.

You can't run an SMTP server on a residential connection these days. Ports are blocked and people do reverse-DNS and find your in that range and they filter you. No way around it. You can't just change the port on SMTP or no one will connect.

Nobody is going to connect other than me.

Do you have a outline for that?

What do you know about the VMware View series? I want to learn the VDI stuff but know nothing about it so i was wondering if that series would be good.

No official outline yet. I turned in the final material last week but it should be out soon. I haven't seen the VDI series (and a quick check of my account shows I don't have access) but I know Brian that did it and he's good. I also know they are updating it right now to View 5.

No official outline yet. I turned in the final material last week but it should be out soon. I haven't seen the VDI series (and a quick check of my account shows I don't have access) but I know Brian that did it and he's good. I also know they are updating it right now to View 5.

Is there a big difference between the current View and 5?

At least it got better since the abortion of 2007. Ugh..what a pain..and fix after fix.
Can't stand how you can even adjust pub folder permissions in the GUI.
And message tracking center is as painful as plucking pubic hairs with vise grips...holy crap did they butcher that.

How can i use an external hostname for email if the internal domain is different.

Like i use homelab.com for my internal domain and have a different hostname registered with godaddy that I want to use for the email address and OWA etc...

Not a guru by a long shot but might be able to help: In godaddy open the dns manager and edit the zone for domain2.com the same as you set A and mx for homelab.com. Then in exchange 2010 setup the receive and send connectors for domain2.com.

Just for setting up a lab you should be ok without static ips. Receiving may be problematic when your dynamic ip changes but your dynamic dns service has not refreshed the newest update of your ip. Whether the recipients of your sent emails will receive them will be even more problematic because you will need to somehow establish reverse dns for each new iteration of your dynamic ip to reference domain2.com otherwise whatever servers you send mail to may flag your messages as possible spam.

Last edited:

Internal domain does not have to match external name. If its a lab or a small company, I actually prefer to keep them different.

Internal: domain.local
External:companyname.com

When you buy the certificate from godaddy, you'll specify the names to be on it as:
servername.domain.local
domain.local
mail.companyname.com
companyname.com
autodiscover.companyname.com

To me, this way its easier to keep track of what goes where.

Have fun with the learning process. Better to learn it when you're not under a deadline.

EDIT: You specify in Exchange what external domain name(s) you'll accept/receive/respond to.

Internal domain does not have to match external name. If its a lab or a small company, I actually prefer to keep them different.

Internal: domain.local
External:companyname.com

When you buy the certificate from godaddy, you'll specify the names to be on it as:
servername.domain.local
domain.local
mail.companyname.com
companyname.com
autodiscover.companyname.com

To me, this way its easier to keep track of what goes where.

Have fun with the learning process. Better to learn it when you're not under a deadline.

EDIT: You specify in Exchange what external domain name(s) you'll accept/receive/respond to.

I actually just finished the Certificates video and it seems pretty easy. Though I am not sure i can afford a certificate right now. Are there any cheap certificate providers for lab purposes?

Now for the internal/external hostname, I am confused where the conversion takes place. Your external domain email goes tot he exchange server then converted to your internal domain?

http://www.cheapssls.com/

I have a couple from them and they work fine. I use them just for testing / playing with. 10 bucks a year you can't go wrong. You can always reissue them with a different subdomain and whatnot as well.

Back