Becoming a Reseller?

netsider

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
466
I've been building PC's every since I was 10 years old. Now for the first time I'm seeing that my technical knowledge actually amounts to something because I build a few systems from spare parts I had laying around and make a pretty decent profit (Or maybe just broke even). My question is, how do I become a reseller and get hardware or windows XP licenses for wholesale prices? I'm assuming I'd have to buy them in bulk, but where (or who) do I even contact to set up something like that and get hardware for cheaper prices than buying retail parts online? Thanks. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
 
You'll have to contact M$ about that and even then it won't be that much cheaper. If you're looking to get it as cheap as the people at HP do then you'll need to fill it with bloatware.
 
You're going to need a business license and a hefty business loan. After all, you've got to buy thousands of components that cost potentially hundreds of dollars each.

Most of the biggest PC hardware e-tailers out there offer bulk discounting. But of course you have to buy 100 pieces to get a modest discount like 3-5% and 1000+ pieces to get like 10+% off. In the end you really don't make much money unless you buy thousands of parts in crates and sell hundreds of computers. Good luck.
 
ya, good theory, until you find that you can buy your software to resell cheaper from the big box stores. Then the dreams go bust. If you do enough repair business to support selling software that is fine, but if you expect to sell software as a means of supporting your repair business that will fail.
 
You'll have a hard time competing with Newegg's prices and customer service (and Amazon, and all those other big etailers). Most resellers I know make money off of their service contracts, not the builds.
 
Back
Top