Because I am Bored

Spaceninja

2[H]4U
So I have some older machines laying around (i5's, Athlon II's and the likes) was thinking of something to do with them. I was wondering if it would be possible, and even worth it, to build a Linux cluster and run VM's on the cluster. Sure I could just install VM ware on each individual physical machine, but I figured this little project would be more fun. I did some searching around and most of the articles I found were from 02-09 so not really helpful.

Thoughts on this little project?

I have a few old parts that I've put a side to create a PC, that was 3 month ago. Just too lazy to build it.

Go for it. We played around with Beowulf about 10 years ago and a learned a thing or two about Linux OS.

Sounds fun to me, but before you go through the effort to do this, I would recommend you select some type of software that supports a clustered system. Otherwise, you'll get the cluster created with nothing to actually use the processing power for. I also honestly have no ideas as to what you might want to run on it in a homelab setting.

Sounds fun to me, but before you go through the effort to do this, I would recommend you select some type of software that supports a clustered system. Otherwise, you'll get the cluster created with nothing to actually use the processing power for. I also honestly have no ideas as to what you might want to run on it in a homelab setting.

I think most of them are just going to end up being VMware or Hyper-V machines. I like to play around with various Linux distros and server apps.

Looks like the Ovirt needs things I don't have. Red Hat Ent is one of them. The junk I have laying around is a hodgepodge of AMD Quad core and a mix of I5's gen 2-5 I think.

Looks like the Ovirt needs things I don't have. Red Hat Ent is one of them. The junk I have laying around is a hodgepodge of AMD Quad core and a mix of I5's gen 2-5 I think.

CentOS should be a drop in replacement for RHEL.

Cloudstack enables you to create a cluster and then run HA / load balanced virtual machines through it. It also makes networking trivial for the VM:s.

Back