• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Beating my head against a wall. (which CPU?)

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 17, 2012
Messages
10,918
8600k? 8700k? 9900k? Hell, 2700x?

Total gaming rig. Two monitors. One monitor for games, the second for browsing/Discord/etc.

Games, right now, are World of Warcraft, some Doom '16, Grim Dawn, POE, and with a fresh build perhaps I could get into a AAA MP-FPS game.

Just doing simple 1080 @ 60hz for now. I could see bumping to 1440 next year.

Running a 6gb 1060 for now. Next year I'll probably bump up to a 20 series once the dust has settled.

Weighing the differences between a 370 and 390, I may just go with a 370.

Past two builds have been with 6.Skill Trident. Don't see any reason to switch.

But yea, CPUs. I've gone back and forth now for about a month. How in the hell do you decide? I can swing a $3,000 rig, but really don't want to spend that much if I have to. I mean, if I could settle for an 8600k I would. I would also be running a Kraken X62 cooler.

Halp?
 
I wouldn't build an Intel rig for gaming at this time. 2700X all the way. Sure some of the Intels might be a little faster, but they are not worth the price premium. For example. 3% more performance for 30% more cost type stuff. Not worth it in my honest opinion.
 
Budget?

I mulled the same thing, went with a 2700x and held on to my 1070 until next year. Along with 32gb of ram, this PC has been amazing. I came from a 7700k, and briefly a 8700k. Sold the 8700k and Z 270, went X470 and 2700x. I've been very impressed, and I can upgrade next year when Zen 2 comes out, without having to upgrade my board yet again. This is the first time I have gone team red in over a decade. And I couldnt be happier.
 
What are you upgrading from? Perhaps the reason it is tough to decide which cpu to get is because an 8600K, 8700K, 9600K, 9700K, 2600X, 2700X would all be good choices for a gaming pc.
 
Would really like to keep mobo, cpu, cooler, and ram under $1000.

I've got a 3470 now. So anything will be a huge improvement.
 
You won't need more than 16GB 3200+ ram. That's well under $200.

If you buy a quality motherboard (between $150-200) and cooler, the 2700x will overclock itself.

Do you already own that Kracken? It's overkill for a 110w CPU.

Those are really intended to cool E-series CPUs.
 
I would probably go with the 2700X or 9700K if I were building a rig today...but the 8700K is still a great choice as well...but I would try and wait until Zen2 in Spring 2019...sounds like it'll be worth the wait...I've been looking at upgrading as well for the past few months but even with my old i7 980X rig I still haven't pulled the trigger...I'm usually not this patient but I'm being smarter about price/performance this time
 
I agree with the AMD guys. There's just so much value there. 2700x if you can afford. But the 2600x is great too.

For a lot of setups you don't even need x470. B450 can often OC just as good.

Grab 16gb of 3200 and your good. Sweet upgrade party next year.
 
Do you already own that Kracken? It's overkill for a 110w CPU.

Those are really intended to cool E-series CPUs.
No, but it leaves options open for the future if I ever do really want to get deeper into OCing. Eventually I'd like to do some form of open loop system simply for hobby purposes.

I would probably go with the 2700X or 9700K if I were building a rig today...but the 8700K is still a great choice as well...but I would try and wait until Zen2 in Spring 2019...sounds like it'll be worth the wait...I've been looking at upgrading as well for the past few months but even with my old i7 980X rig I still haven't pulled the trigger...I'm usually not this patient but I'm being smarter about price/performance this time
Eh, and then when Zen2 arrives something new will be just around the corner. Such a tough game to play. I gave up on waiting for stuff, and plan to what is available now.

I'll dig deeper on the 2700x setup. Just so many options its making my head spin.
 
Eh, and then when Zen2 arrives something new will be just around the corner. Such a tough game to play. I gave up on waiting for stuff, and plan to what is available now.

I'll dig deeper on the 2700x setup. Just so many options its making my head spin.

there's no wrong choice...it's more about what you're looking to spend and what exactly you're going to be using the CPU for (gaming, content creation etc)
 
there's no wrong choice...it's more about what you're looking to spend and what exactly you're going to be using the CPU for (gaming, content creation etc)
True. All of the listed options will perform great.
 
there's no wrong choice...it's more about what you're looking to spend and what exactly you're going to be using the CPU for (gaming, content creation etc)
99% gaming. If I can save a few bucks here and there, great. But I don't want to cross the line of cheaping out and getting hit with it in the short game. There's good, better, and best. I'd like to have a solid mix of better and best. If that makes any sense.
 
Huh. I never figured AMD had such a big backing. I figured it'd be Intel through and through. And for $290, that's a solid price. hm
 
AMD has rocked the boat with it's Ryzen and Thread Ripper lineup recently.
 
If I was building a pure gaming system today I would buy an 8600K with a Z370 board because they are discounted for black friday.
 
I would go with Intel as well if you have the budget for it, For gaming Intel outperforms AMD but AMD does offer better bang for the buck. Another factor to consider is AMD tends to support their sockets/chipsets longer than Intel so the MBs may last you longer. 8700K offers good value as well.

Another thing to consider is PCI 4.0 and even 5.0 and DDR5 aren't far away, I think 2019 so if you can wait till next year you might want to upgrade then.

I for one won't be upgrading any time soon
 
Back
Top