• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

beast itx build sugo 08

sammi44

n00b
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11
Hey guys, have been lurking this site for a long time now, and realised that I need some help before I pull the trigger on this.

Basically its a high powered gaming build in a mitx box, I'm looking to overclock the cpu moderately, maybe 4-4.2 depending on whats possible.

case: Silverstone SG08 Black with 600W $229
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19003

cpu: ivy bridge 3570k ~$250

mobo: i need a hand here, been looking at either the asrock z77e-itx or the asus p8z77-i-deluxe. the overclock capabilities look great on the asus, however I am concerned that the extra card on it will block my cooler, and also that it will impede case exhaust, so leaning more towards the asrock. alternatively i could go the asus p8h77-i, but I haven't heard anything about how well it overclocks and don't imagine it would do too well.

ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3 $59
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16510

gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB $699
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19893
do we have any estimated pricing on the 670/670ti's yet? i havent been able to find anything

cpu cooler: From what I've seen most people using air cooling in an itx case are using an axp-140, however I haven't been able to find any that i could purchase so instead i was looking at a Noctua NH-C12P SE14
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12956
I do not know exactly how well it would perform though, and while it looks like it would fit within my case I don't know, also it comes with a 140 fan, I remember seeing someone having a problem with 140mm fans not fitting due to a protruding lip on the case where the hdd's sit, so was wondering if anyone knows if I have to grab a 120 instead, and if so what is the difference between Noctua NF-P12 and Noctua NF-P12 PWM.

ssd: Intel 520 Series 120GB $195
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_1221&products_id=19276

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 $225
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19692

odd: Sony BC5540H01 Internal Slim SATA Blu-Ray Reader Combo $85
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=658_667&products_id=17058
was wondering also if anyone knew of any other slim blu ray readers? preferably cheaper and with an included sata cable lol, just for ease.

Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing what input you have.
Also, depending on interest I might do a build log as well, just so people know what kind of problems I came across with these new parts.
 
you could stuff all that in a SG05 (except cooler) also go for the overkill = 2x8gb. mobo i'll suggest to wait for a little..
 
while I had considered the sg05 I'm pretty set on the 08 as I feel the cooling solution is easier, it's easier to fit all the parts in, has a larger psu which may be useful in future builds, and generally I like the aesthetic more. Also due to where it will be positioned the space saved by the 05 doesn't really matter.

I suppose you're right on mobo though, no choice but to wait :(

Any suggestions on coolers?
 
The SG08 should have better cooling. More fans, more inner room, more cooling options. We don't know yet how well that new Asus mobo is but my money is on it for the better OCing potential. Big question is when do we see it in NA? Since you don't plan on crazy OCing that 3570K should run cooler and draw less power than a equal SB chip too.
 
As far as something like a h60/80 would go, I would have preferred to use pure air cooling, but I suppose I can look into it. I'm just a bit frustrated that I can't find any retailers in Australia who carry the axp-140, was curious on people's thoughts at my suggested replacement.

As far as motherboards go I guess I'm stuck waiting for reviews on the asrock or asus, or even the evga board if that makes a surprise appearance. Also I was under the impression that h-77 boards do overclock but only with ivy bridge? Regardless I would prefer a z77 anyway.

Cheers guys

Ps. Anything else with my build that you would change around? I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I could get a Samuel 17 reasonably easily, but how does that compare to the axp140 or the noctua I linked?
 
Last edited:
As far as something like a h60/80 would go, I would have preferred to use pure air cooling, but I suppose I can look into it. I'm just a bit frustrated that I can't find any retailers in Australia who carry the axp-140, was curious on people's thoughts at my suggested replacement.

As far as motherboards go I guess I'm stuck waiting for reviews on the asrock or asus, or even the evga board if that makes a surprise appearance. Also I was under the impression that h-77 boards do overclock but only with ivy bridge? Regardless I would prefer a z77 anyway.

Cheers guys

Ps. Anything else with my build that you would change around? I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I could get a Samuel 17 reasonably easily, but how does that compare to the axp140 or the noctua I linked?

I'd say that the Samuel, while being quite good, is the worst cooler of the 3. But it also depends on how high you will be OCing. Btw have you considered the Noctua C14 (with only the bottom fan). I hear it's a beast. Dunno if it will clear the sides but...
 
I had considered the c14 but ran into height issues with the top fan and clearence issues in low profile mode. General consensus on the Internet seems to be that the axp140 and the c12 offer similar heat results, not sure whether you guys have differing experiance? At this stage I'm going to go with the c12 due to availability issues with the axp. And on that note I was curious about fans and whether someone can confirm that the noctua 14 fan that comes with it will cause issues and if I also have to buy a 120mm.

Keeping my eye on the asrock thread, looks like the axp fits so I assume the c12 will as well?

Edit: I've just had a very help member from another forum link me to some axp140's so I suppose that's my cooler sorted. Thanks guys, I'll update as I need more help/have more info
 
Last edited:
The C14 would need only the bottom fan because the 180mm case fan would be just above to provide the push. Anyway the AXP is quite good and you should be able to fit a 140mm fan on top if I'm not mistaken.
 
Also I was under the impression that h-77 boards do overclock but only with ivy bridge? Regardless I would prefer a z77 anyway.
I just had a second look, people seem to be saying that they do, and they don't. Sooo I'm lost now. I wish Asus would just release the Z77 already.
 
yeah the whole new h77 thing is confusing, it seems no one really knows much for certain.

also, this whole thing has made me hate coolers lol, after looking at some threads and seeing how close the axp comes to the pcie slot going by these pictures it looks like the noctua nh-c12 will have too much overhang. I'd also like to avoid the nh-c14 as i'd prefer to be pushing on the cooler directly rather than from a case fan.
nh-c12
nh_c12p_measurements.jpg


axp-140
axp140size.jpg


also according to this thread it looks like a 140 fan will give me problems
http://www.overclock.net/t/988489/sff-itx-build-silverstone-sg07-i5-760-axp-140-gtx460-8gb-ram-no-56k
"The 3.5" slot is worth mentioning. With the AXP-140, if I choose to install a 3.5" hard drive, the power and sata cables blocks clearance for a full 140mm fan."
itx31.jpg


anyway, i'm just going to go an axp-140 with a Noctua NF-P12 PWM fan and hope for the best. I'm also over trying to source one from an Australian retailer, so if anyone knows a US site that will mail me one, including a 1155 mounting bracket, and not kill me on postage, that would be fan-bloody-tastic. Also my ram is 40mm, which happens to be the clearance of this cooler, does anyone know if people have problems with this combo, as its pretty common ram?
 
Costs over 60 dollars to ship one to aus. Nearly the price of the product itself lol.....
 
also according to this thread it looks like a 140 fan will give me problems
http://www.overclock.net/t/988489/sff-itx-build-silverstone-sg07-i5-760-axp-140-gtx460-8gb-ram-no-56k
"The 3.5" slot is worth mentioning. With the AXP-140, if I choose to install a 3.5" hard drive, the power and sata cables blocks clearance for a full 140mm fan."

With the SG08, using the Thermalright AXP-140 RT Low Profile Heatsink, per Silverstone the fan may be omitted.

Special note: The 120mm fan installed on top of the CPU cooler is for reference only, it is not required for safe operation as SG07’s included AP181 on top of the case can provide enough cooling to support CPU up to 95W power level.
 
I just had a second look, people seem to be saying that they do, and they don't. Sooo I'm lost now. I wish Asus would just release the Z77 already.

Its probably like the H61 and H67 mobos where you can overclock them only 3 bins higher and thats it. Not fully Overclockable mobo. I'm guessing though. I havent read much about them. Sounds logical though.
 
I have SG08 and I like how H80 with single pull fan sits there. Well the fans that came with H80 are crap, so I recommend use something like high RPM Noiseblocker or 110CFM fan from Scythe. Also, you need extra screws to mount the rad to that SUGOs plastic plate.

Currently, 2x8GB RAM kits are SLOW! Performancewise is better to go with 2x4GB 2133MHz like ones from G.Skill or Corsair Dominator GT

I prefer SG08 over SG05 because SG08 has more room for cooling - the H80s fan blows directly to the MoBo, it can keep two SSDs, the PSU is more powerful, etc.
 
And now that the GTX 690 has been announced, one more reason to go with the SG08 :D
 
Back
Top