BC2 CTD -- no system sound after reboot?

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
I've about had it with this game. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the game stable.

For a while I was able to play the game so long as I was on a fresh reboot and it was the first game that I played -- CTD's would happen really quick during play if I had played any other game first.

I read that Realtek onboard sound had issues, so I tried hdmi via. my 5870 and still got CTDs. I was able to play for a few hours last night w/o a CTD using the 5870's hdmi audio out and forced DX10 mode. When I tried DX11 mode (dxversion = auto) I still had CTD's regardless of the sound device used. Now for the really weird part -- whenever I rebooted after a CTD I would have no system sound! It would say "failed to play test tone" when I went through the audio menu in windows 7. Another reboot would solve this problem, and allow me to play for 2-30mins before it crashed again. I ran out and bought a Asus Xonar DS soundcard this morning hoping to fix the issue -- still have CTD's after 20mins or so of gameplay (sometimes after 2-3mins). I have both the realtek and 5870 hdmi audio devices disabled in device manager. I have tried rolling my cpu back to stock clocks and my 5870 is running the latest 10.4a preview drivers meant to improve the performance and load times of this game. I removed the 8800GT that I was using for hybrid physx. I am not overclocking my gpu. I have VOIP disabled as I heard that can cause CTD's.

Does anyone have any advice. I'm really getting frustrated. I've probably rebooted 200 times and spent over 20 hours troubleshooting and trying different things to make this game work. Should I reinstall windows 7 64bit?

Actually, try that 8800 GT first.

I'm curious if 5870's are crashing a lot. I get CTD's every now and then with my 5870, but it's by no means as frequent as yours nor does it mess up my sound.

I've about had it with this game. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the game stable.

For a while I was able to play the game so long as I was on a fresh reboot and it was the first game that I played -- CTD's would happen really quick during play if I had played any other game first.

I read that Realtek onboard sound had issues, so I tried hdmi via. my 5870 and still got CTDs. I was able to play for a few hours last night w/o a CTD using the 5870's hdmi audio out and forced DX10 mode. When I tried DX11 mode (dxversion = auto) I still had CTD's regardless of the sound device used. Now for the really weird part -- whenever I rebooted after a CTD I would have no system sound! It would say "failed to play test tone" when I went through the audio menu in windows 7. Another reboot would solve this problem, and allow me to play for 2-30mins before it crashed again. I ran out and bought a Asus Xonar DS soundcard this morning hoping to fix the issue -- still have CTD's after 20mins or so of gameplay (sometimes after 2-3mins). I have both the realtek and 5870 hdmi audio devices disabled in device manager. I have tried rolling my cpu back to stock clocks and my 5870 is running the latest 10.4a preview drivers meant to improve the performance and load times of this game. I removed the 8800GT that I was using for hybrid physx. I am not overclocking my gpu. I have VOIP disabled as I heard that can cause CTD's.

Does anyone have any advice. I'm really getting frustrated. I've probably rebooted 200 times and spent over 20 hours troubleshooting and trying different things to make this game work. Should I reinstall windows 7 64bit?

1. the ATI cards use a realtek chip on the board its self so i doubt using the HDMI realtek HD audio was going to fix anything..
2. if you have a second hdd or enough hdd space i would make another partition just big enough to install windows 7 64bit and BFBC2 and all the drivers you need.. test it see if the problem happens again.. if it does then you can just delete the partition and not worry about screwing with everything else.. if it works then try linking it to maybe a piece of software you have installed that could be causing the problem on your primary OS install.. try turning off things like AV scanners and shit see what happens..

have you tried running your cpu at stock? BC2 is optimised for multicore systems. Could be that one of the cores is unstable at your overclocked settings. There's a common misconception that all cores are equally overclockable. Try stock speeds and see what happens.

1. the ATI cards use a realtek chip on the board its self so i doubt using the HDMI realtek HD audio was going to fix anything..

Now that I did not know! I disabled the onboard sound in the bios and disabled the ati hdmi audio in device manager. I also removed all remnants of the realtek software. I'm now using my asus xonar sd as the only sound device on the system. The game hasn't crashed all day!! I can't believe it!

Now that I did not know! I disabled the onboard sound in the bios and disabled the ati hdmi audio in device manager. I also removed all remnants of the realtek software. I'm now using my asus xonar sd as the only sound device on the system. The game hasn't crashed all day!! I can't believe it!

by chance which realtek drivers were you using? the ones that are provided by your motherboard manufacture disc/website or the ones from realteks site? so far ive only had luck with using the drivers on the board manufactures site for realtek.. had to many problems with the ones that came with windows and on realteks site..

by chance which realtek drivers were you using? the ones that are provided by your motherboard manufacture disc/website or the ones from realteks site? so far ive only had luck with using the drivers on the board manufactures site for realtek.. had to many problems with the ones that came with windows and on realteks site..

I was using 6.0.1.6069 -- the latest from MSI's website, signed 4/21/10. I had the same issues with the previous version. I also get random sound errors when playing BC2, a really loud blip crsshh noise that happens randomly maybe once per day -- hurts really bad in my headphones.

Back