Baystack 350f-HD vlan trunking

grethor

Limp Gawd
I just recently purchaced a Bay Networks ( nortel ) 350f-HD and I have a question regarding vlan trunking. I want to have a one link vlan trunk from the baystack to my cisco 2612 and I've been reading the documentation and it seems that it only supports multilink trunking ( etherchannel ). Is there a way to get baystacks to do vlan trunking across one link? If not can i define a multilink trunk and only use one link? I can only use one link cause my router only has one available ethernet port.

Thanks in advance for any input

VLAN trunking in the Cisco world can be either ISL or 802.1Q. ISL is Cisco-prioritary, but the 802.1Q is an IEEE standard, so that'd be your best bet if both ends support it (I don't think the 2610 does; the 2620 and 2621 do). Etherchannel isn't a VLAN protocol, but is used to combine two ethernet connections into one (faster) ethernet link.

You may just have to not do VLANs.

so you're doing 1 link and want it to be trunked (carry multiple vlan tags)
set your port up on the 350 as "trunked" or tagged
make sure you enable AutoPVID
make sure the trunked port default vlan is 1
add other vlans as portmembers for that port (the trunked port)

goto the cisco
port mode trunk
type dot1q (802.1q)

connect the ports

etherchannel is for creating a multi-linked trunk (or port channel; i.e. multiple uplink with both or more ports actively forwarding) you dont need to touch portchannel/etherchannel/multilinkedtrunk settings for doing a 1 link trunk between the 2

AFAIK, the 2612 doesn't feature a FastEthernet port and isn't capable of supporting a trunk link. You'd need a 1721/1751/1760/2620 (or better 2600 series) or 2600XM series routers.

I've never seen an example of running Etherchannel other than FastEtherchannel, so that most likely won't work on the Ethernet port.

Why are you trying to set this up if you don't mind me asking? Someone might be able to help you devise a workaround without having to go out and spend more money...=D

Back