Baute Besitzen!

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
BAUTE BESITZEN!

This thread will track the progress of my latest build, Baute Besitzen. (built to own!) Let the worklog commence!

*** COMPONENT LOADOUT ***

Hardware:
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR
AMD Athlon64 3200 [winnie]
ATI X850XT 256MB
2x512mb Corsair XMS PC3500C2 rev. 1.1 [BH5]
Western Digital 74GB Raptor - x2 RAID-0
Western Digital 250GB SATA
LiteON 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
LiteON 52x32x52+16 Combo Drive

Water Loop:
Dtek White Water CPU Block
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU Block
Black Ice Extreme Radiators - x2
Laing D4 Pump
Danger Den Dual 5 1/4 BayRes
ClearFlex Tubing

I figured I would start with my waterblock, since the case and a few other components havn't arrived yet. My block is a Dtek WhiteWater that I've been using to cool my Athlon XP 2500 @2.6ghz. The block comprised of a copper microfin base, a copper jet-impingement center plate, and a delrin top.
waterblock.jpg

After being in my existing water loop for almost a year, the inside of the block had a bit of corrosion on the copper. I scrubbed all of the internal and external surfaces thouroughly with brasso, then flushed with 91% alchohol.
waterblock2.jpg

The block was designed for use with a socket 462 motherboard with the 4 holes surrounding the socket. I called up danny @ dtek and he was nice enough to ship me his last Athlon 64 mounting bracket of this style. Damn nice bracket... although the aluminum needs some polishing. DREMEL TIME!
waterblock3.jpg

Almost looks like chrome after a good polishing with the dremel and a little brasso.
waterblock4.jpg

The base of the block also received a little love from the brasso & alchohol.
waterblock5.jpg

Re-assembled and ready to mount!
waterblock6.jpg

I took the original A64 HSF retention bracket off the motherboard, and replaced it with these two machine screws from my original White Water mounting kit.
waterblock1.jpg

On to the chipset! The NB on athlon64 motherboards normally do not put out close to the heat that the athlonXP boards did, due to the on-die memory controller. NF4 chipsets are probably the warmest of them all, so I decided to get some better TIM under that heatsink. I popped the plastic pins and off came the hsf. Underneath is the tiny NF4 core. I used some goo-gone and alchohol to rid the HSF and the NB of the old TIM.
northbridge1.jpg

When you install the video card, the back of the card normally hits this shiny bracket, so I opted to leave it off.
northbridge2.jpg

I then applied AS5 to the core. Then I used some machine screws, plastic washers, and tiny springs to clamp the hsf back on the board.
northbridge3.jpg

As most of my friends know... I have been wanting one of these cases for about 2 years. Baute Besitzen would not be complete without a U2-UFO!
ufo1.jpg

After stripping off the side panels and all of the internal trays, it was just an aluminum frame with front and back plates.
ufo2.jpg

First I decided to put in the 3.5" bay fans. I did not want to have hundreds of wires dangling all over the place, so I soldered all of the leads together into one molex. I will repeat this step for the rest of the fans in the case as it comes together.
fans1.jpg

Aaaaah yes... they do look nice.
fans2.jpg

Next was to install the 4 Cold Cathodes. I opted to use 2 blue and 2 UV bulbs. First was to mount the inverters so that the bulbs would reach where I wanted to go. Then I mounted the CCFL's: Blue are on the back-top and back-left. UV's are on the top-left and top-right.
ccfl1.jpg

The switches came mounted in a standard expansion slot bracket. That cheesy-ness had to go!
ccfl2.jpg

I took the switch out of one of the brackets and used it as a guide to trace the placements of the switches. Then I dremeled out the holes.
ccfl3.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. I cleaned it up a bit more after this pic, but still not perfect. It is hard to cut a square hole with a round tool! My nibbler wouldn't fit... so bah!
ccfl4.jpg

ccfl5.jpg

Oooooh pretty!
ccfl6.jpg

For a PSU I chose the Ultra X-connect modular 500watt unit. Chrome with blue UV fans/lights/windows. This thing is MAJOR shiny! I almost didn't want to touch it.
psu1.jpg

Get mounted:
psu2.jpg

Everybody needs their space... even when you are Baute Besitzen! I opted to go with 2 74gb Raptor's in RAID-0 and 1 WD 250GB SATA for storage.
storage1.jpg

Next up was to get the optical drives and 5.25" bay ready for action. I chose lite on 16x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer, and a 52x32x52+16 CD-RW DVD-rom combo drive.

Ok bitch... prepare to get your face ripped off...
optical1.jpg

I used my old lian-li drive bay covers, and cut the sides off of them. I then epoxied some rubber feet to the drive CD trays. I used small corks, cut to size, and glued onto the drive bay covers over the eject button on the drives. A little more epoxy secured the drive covers to the feet on the drives' CD tray.
optical2.jpg

Just a little poke in the lower right corner of the drive and viola!
optical3.jpg

I used another drive bay cover, and cut some of the tabs off to cover my one un-used drive bay. A little more epoxy and it is secured in place perfectly.
optical4.jpg

Now if my damn radiators would show up...

mmmm shiney goodness. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Nice work so far

So far, I am liking what I am seeing, keep up the good work dude, this mod is already turning out to be something incredible.

Dude are u german ?

cause Baute Besitzen is on german Baute own :D what ever Baute is :p

wuffiman

Baute is "Built", yeah, but built s in "he built xyz".

What you mean is "Gebaut"

Also, you need to add an "um zu" in the middle there, making the name "Gebaut um zu Besitzen", which is a lot closer to whyt you meant

</language nazi>

Cute mod, keep it coming!

I am of german/dutch decent... and no I dont know much german. I decided I wanted to call the mod "built to own" so I googled a translation. I knew the translation wasnt exact in its context... but it sounds cool to us american fools that don't speak other languages. :D

trust me... i want an update too... but danger den is taking their sweet time in shipping all of my new water equipment.

I did get my casters mounted though...

caster1.jpg

caster2.jpg

Good luck with that Ultra. You do know they blow up, right?

You're not powering too much from it, so probably alright. :D

that is the first ive heard of the ultras blowing up...

i dont haunt forums much lately ...

It's a mountain mods case, if you wanna know.

I once purchased an Aluminum Mobo tray, and am very happy with it. They are truly professionnal, I can only recommend them :)

edit : link

Got my shipment from Danger Den on monday. Time for an update!

Here are the two Black Ice Extreme 120mm Radiators in all their glory.
rads1.jpg

I will be using 2 120mm Galaxy fans in a push-pull on both radiators. This would create a bit of vibration. I used some neoprene washers to eat up the vibrations. Danger Den sent one size of screw for mounting: A 1/4" sheet metal screw. The only fan type that you can mount to the radiators with this length of screw is the type with the open screw holes. My fans had the enclosed holes. So off to the hardware store to buy some 1 1/4" sheet metal screws to attach my fans.
rads2.jpg

Single Mounted:
rads4.jpg

I didn't want wires dangling out the front of the fans, so I ran them through the fins of the rad to the front.
rads6.jpg

Dual Mounted - Front:
rads7.jpg

Dual Mounted - Back:
rads8.jpg

Now it is time to get the pump bolted down. I marked my holes off, and drilled a pilot hole with the dremel.
pump1.jpg

Both holes drilled and ready for a pump! I chose a Danger Den D4, and used some stubby machine screws to mount it securely in place:
pump3.jpg

The GPU block is a Danger Den Maze 4:
gpublock1.jpg

I'm mounting it on my X850XT PCIe. Expensive card, but I figured with a name like "baute Besitzen" it had better live up to its name.
gpublock2.jpg

After pulling off the mounting hardware, it was apparent to see that the plates over the ram, barely made contact with the surface of the memory, if any.
gpublock3.jpg

The sexy ATi core is exposed. :)
gpublock5.jpg

Added some OCZ copper BGA ramsinks to keep that memory cool.
gpublock6.jpg

Get mounted: Mounting this thing became a surrealistic nightmare. DangerDen didn't send the right mounting screws/hardware with this block for my x850xt. I even specified i had the x850xt that I was mounting it on. With the hardware sent, there was no way I could mount this thing on my card. Danger Den has two options of mounting hardware you can purchase with the block... I opted for both, just to avoid a situation like this... and I still didn't have the correct hardware.
I ended going back to the hardware store and buying some small machine screws, with 2 of the polymer washers that were sent with the block... in conjunction with the short springs that were also sent with the block. The threads in the block did not seem to fit any standard screw size, and seemed to go in very hard and probably ended up ruining the threads. ( i run a retail computer repair/sales shop, so i have just about every size around)
gpublock8.jpg

The end result was actually very pleasing. However, this setback with the radiators and now the GPU block cost me a lot of time. That, and wrenching on a $500 video card due to un-cooperative threads is a little bad on the nerves. DD definately needs to re-think their mounting hardware for this block if it is to be used on X800 class cards. ... or maybe someone screwed up and didn't send me the right stuff?
gpublock9.jpg

The blocks, mounted:
water1.jpg

Some completed loop shots:
water2.jpg

water3.jpg

water4.jpg

water5.jpg

water6.jpg

water7.jpg

water8.jpg

The pump moves a LOT of water! Nice riptide I have going in my dual bay-res. ;) Water comes in on the right, exits on the left.
res1.jpg

Now I'll let it run overnight tonight to ensure there are no leaks!

Man, this mod, is so sexy. You sir, have one bitchin' water cooling setup. I like.

The only one complaint I have, is the CPU waterblock... I am not a very big fan of the Y-Split connection CPU blocks, in my opinion, they ruin the look of a case by adding un-necessary items.

Other then that, keep up the good work. I hope you get nice temps with this case, because dude, you have A LOT of airflow and such =). KEep up the good work!

It looks nice, I like it. Just curious, how tall is that pump? and is the top fitting the inlet?

orkan said:
Got my shipment from Danger Den on monday. Time for an update!

Here are the two Black Ice Extreme 120mm Radiators in all their glory.
rads1.jpg

I will be using 2 120mm Galaxy fans in a push-pull on both radiators. This would create a bit of vibration. I used some neoprene washers to eat up the vibrations. Danger Den sent one size of screw for mounting: A 1/4" sheet metal screw. The only fan type that you can mount to the radiators with this length of screw is the type with the open screw holes. My fans had the enclosed holes. So off to the hardware store to buy some 1 1/4" sheet metal screws to attach my fans.
rads2.jpg

Single Mounted:
rads4.jpg

I didn't want wires dangling out the front of the fans, so I ran them through the fins of the rad to the front.
rads6.jpg

Dual Mounted - Front:
rads7.jpg

Dual Mounted - Back:
rads8.jpg

Now it is time to get the pump bolted down. I marked my holes off, and drilled a pilot hole with the dremel.
pump1.jpg

Both holes drilled and ready for a pump! I chose a Danger Den D4, and used some stubby machine screws to mount it securely in place:
pump3.jpg

The GPU block is a Danger Den Maze 4:
baute_besitzenpublock1.jpg

I'm mounting it on my X850XT PCIe. Expensive card, but I figured with a name like "baute Besitzen" it had better live up to its name.
gblock2.jpg

After pulling off the mounting hardware, it was apparent to see that the plates over the ram, barely made contact with the surface of the memory, if any.
baute_besitzegpublock3.jpg

The sexy ATi core is exposed. :)
gblock5.jpg

Added some OCZ copper BGA ramsinks to keep that memory cool.
gpublk6.jpg

Get mounted: Mounting this thing became a surrealistic nightmare. DangerDen didn't send the right mounting screws/hardware with this block for my x850xt. I even specified i had the x850xt that I was mounting it on. With the hardware sent, there was no way I could mount this thing on my card. Danger Den has two options of mounting hardware you can purchase with the block... I opted for both, just to avoid a situation like this... and I still didn't have the correct hardware.
I ended going back to the hardware store and buying some small machine screws, with 2 of the polymer washers that were sent with the block... in conjunction with the short springs that were also sent with the block. The threads in the block did not seem to fit any standard screw size, and seemed to go in very hard and probably ended up ruining the threads. ( i run a retail computer repair/sales shop, so i have just about every size around)
gblock8.jpg

The end result was actually very pleasing. However, this setback with the radiators and now the GPU block cost me a lot of time. That, and wrenching on a $500 video card due to un-cooperative threads is a little bad on the nerves. DD definately needs to re-think their mounting hardware for this block if it is to be used on X800 class cards. ... or maybe someone screwed up and didn't send me the right stuff?
gplock9.jpg

The blocks, mounted:
baute_besitzenater1.jpg

Some completed loop shots:
water2.jpg

water3.jpg

water4.jpg

water5.jpg

water6.jpg

water7.jpg

water8.jpg

The pump moves a LOT of water! Nice riptide I have going in my dual bay-res. ;) Water comes in on the right, exits on the left.
res1.jpg

Now I'll let it run overnight tonight to ensure there are no leaks!

mmm that is so so so sexy, you sir are very f*ckin lucky :p

Damn I have never come across those Mountain Mod's UFO cases before, they are quite cool! I won't be seeing you at any lan parties soon ;P. (wheels...haha ya right)

the Ultra PSU that someone said would blow up... DID. ... and took my motherboard and who knows what else with it.

... so I have an OCZ powerstream 520 and a new motherboard on the way.

updates to follow.

Dude, sorry to see that craptacular PSU blow up. Better luck next time with PSU's. Its a shame it took other components with it. I only hope that it did not take you X850XT out with it.

Hi,
is Baute Besitzen german?
Sorry, but that´s the wrong translation for build to own :cool:

The right one would be Gebaut um zu besitzen

bye :)

orkan said:
I am of german/dutch decent... and no I dont know much german. I decided I wanted to call the mod "built to own" so I googled a translation. I knew the translation wasnt exact in its context... but it sounds cool to us american fools that don't speak other languages. :D

Xstream, that oughta answer it for you :)

orkan said:
the Ultra PSU that someone said would blow up... DID. ... and took my motherboard and who knows what else with it.

... so I have an OCZ powerstream 520 and a new motherboard on the way.

updates to follow.
damn dude.. thats sucks : / sorry to hear it.. was thinkin bout getting one of those ultras.. but I guess I'll just stick with getting on of the ocz's also :D

no worries... it will be back and better than before by the end of this week.

I just skimmed over this thread and as soon as I saw that POS psu I knew you were gonna be in trouble. Sorry for your loses though bro. I think you made a good choice this time with the OCZ though. :D

It's looking good, more pics/updates!

BTW, what all of your hardware did the crapastic, POS Ultra PSU take with it? I know it took your mobo, but I wonder if it took anything else. Either way, you ought to be better off with that OCZ PSU.

It took my mobo to the grave.

It took my x850xt off the edge of a cliff. It still works, but runs slower. Before the incident, I scored 6400+ in 3dmark03, 84,000 in aquamark3. After, it only hits 5300+ in 3dmark.

Not sure if the memory or CPU are dead yet.

very cool pc! and i love the use of german! best language in the world...

that gave me an idea... name all of my PCs and gadgets in german :D :rolleyes:

Hmm. Thats odd that it took your X850XT PE down a notch in performance. What could have caused that? Did you test the card in a different system with a slower CPU/RAM/mobo? The X850XT maybe just fine if that drop in score was due to the use of a slower CPU/mobo/RAM combo.

Snobok said:
Hmm. Thats odd that it took your X850XT PE down a notch in performance. What could have caused that? Did you test the card in a different system with a slower CPU/RAM/mobo? The X850XT maybe just fine if that drop in score was due to the use of a slower CPU/mobo/RAM combo.

The other system was nearly identical. It is not quite as fast, but there should not have been that large of a performance decrease. Alas, my new hardware should be here monday... and I will get things back on track.

Ah thats good to hear that the new stuff is on the way. What all did you have to get in terms of replacement parts besides a new PSU and mobo?

Back